Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I have a very old dog, (15) and he has trouble seeing now. So, I installed a solar powered spot light on my fron porch. It charges all day, and with the use of led lamps, it shines a small spot type light on my front porch stairs all night so that he can see when he goes out his doggie door. I only paid about 15.00 for it as I remember and if your interested, I will try and find a link for you on the net.

·
Never Give up
7,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What I did was put them around all of my small building in front of them and there working great.

·
planner and prepper
403 Posts
+1 how bright are they? are the pics on the website realistic, if so they seem pretty bright. How about run-time, here in AZ we get a lot of sun, but how long will they last once dark?

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
4 hours of light tops is what it says on the site. Is that true?

My yard lights last nearly all night that are 4 bucks from Walmart. How do they compare?

·
planner and prepper
403 Posts
I did some looking, looks like 2 hrs is standard, 4 hrs max light. They say they are good for 50,000 hours, and the batteries are replaceable. Only reference to "brightness" I saw was "much dimmer than a standard 60W."

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,674 Posts
The downside appears to be low charging capacity because of the tiny solar cells. As they stated "usage per 1 charge" is two hours and "fully charge" is four. I assume "fully charged" means charged for a couple days.

It's an interesting concept, but it would have to have better charging capacity before I'd consider it. There are too many other affordable solar lighting options already, and do.

·
Never Give up
7,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok after a month we get about 3 full hours and the light is a litle less then the 40 watts we use in our lamps in the bedrooms.

·
Mom Walton
1,390 Posts
I bought these spot lights about a month ago, and I am really pleased with them.

Westinghouse Solar Utopia High-Output Spot Light Set, 2-Piece

My 13YO uses one for a flash light. He leaves it at the bottom of the deck stairs. It lights up the stairs. Then he grabs it on his way out to lock up the chickens. He puts it back on his way back in so it will be charged again in the morning. lol.

Just put a scrap of PVC in the ground where you would normally put the stake, leaving some stick up. Stick the stake down in the PVC. The light has an on off switch too. Then you can grab it and replace it easily.

•20x brighter technology
•2 solar hi-output spotlights
•Diecast aluminum construction
•Remington Bronze finish
•High-efficiency double junction amorphous solar panel will charge in the sun, even on a cloudy day
Ten 10mm natural white LEDs provide maximum light output
3 rechargeable 1.2v AA batteries for maximum performance
•Environmentally friendly
•Auto on/off at dusk/dawn
•Ground stakes included
•Dimensions: 6" X 11"H
•Model# 374212-78W

One review says they switched the batteries out with a 3000 mAh .

I bought mine at the store and they were on sale for $29.00 for the pair.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts