Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A new group is starting up devoted to self-reliant methods, both past and present. The kind of people we are hoping to attract include (but is not limited to) persons interested in co-ops, green energy homesteaders living off the grid, living history buffs, experimental archeologists, blacksmiths, urban farmers, hunters, trackers, fishermen, primitive technologists, animal behavioralists, herbalists, botanists, wildcrafters, survivalists, and those interested in learning subsistence living methods. People who can get along just fine by themselves but possess the ability to get along with others and realize that things are easier when we work together as a community. Come learn how things were done once upon a time or just learn how to live below your means while learning and sharing modern day energy efficient methods. Interested persons must have a sincere desire to learn as well as sharing their own knowledge.

You may find that you enjoy leaving a smaller footprint on the earth, learning the old crafts of how to make your own food, clothing or supplies, harvesting and producing your own food, or just saving money by learning how to do things yourself. We are located in the San Bernardino mountains in Southern California. Interested persons should contact us at: [email protected]

·
Christian
39,500 Posts
you are recruiting people to move to Kommiefornia and live in some sort of hippie Yurt commune?

will you cover my relocation costs?

Reactions: scrappy1343

·
Registered
947 Posts
Just a feeling, But I'm pretty sure you aint gonna get many people on this site to join a commune.
last time I checked guns and hippies dont mix, And I'd love to watch you try and get anyone on this site to give up their guns to join up.

Good luck with it by the way, I'm always happy to see people who are trying to leave a smaller footprint on the earth.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Hippies scare the crap out of me.

but I might be interested

Would going and learning violate op sec?

arnt survivalist on the " lets watch'em" list ?
Arnt we just below muslims and just above hackers?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just wanted to say a sincere thank you to all the people who’ve replied so far. I don’t know if it’s the economy or the survival shows on TV but it is sure nice to see so many people interested in this. Very cool. I would also like to thank the site owner-administrator for allowing me to post this thread.

Some of you sent questions about the group that I probably should’ve included in the original post so I will go ahead and post them here:

· “Is it another ‘men’s only’ club?” – Absolutely not. There are many women we have met that are better at self-reliance and survival than a lot of men I know. Everyone has something to teach someone else.

· “Are kids allowed?” - No, not at this time (at least, none under the age of 18). Procedures such as hide scraping or cutting a fireboard involve the use of knives and we just don’t need the liability issues. Sorry.

· “Do you need to have any kind of experience?” – No, just a sincere desire to learn, participate and contribute when you can.

· “When do you get together?” – It’s a new group so we haven’t done anything yet. We’re thinking once a month for starters and we’ll see how it goes after that.

· “Are there any fees or dues?” No. Really, only 5 things are required:

1) Tolerance. We all can learn something from someone else, including people with different viewpoints from our own. We will be discussing self-reliant methods from very diverse areas and tolerance is a must.
2) A sincere desire to learn, participate, and share skills learned. There is a lot of acquired wisdom out there that we can all share and gain from. These days it is both wise and prudent to pool our knowledge and resources considering the current economic climate. People did this during the Great Depression. We will be field-testing concepts from areas as diverse as the Foxfire books to the Wintercount gatherings.
3) Leave your ego at home. Period.
4) Topics will be restricted to self-reliant methods. If it doesn’t help you get along cheaper, put food on the table, heat your home, etc., we won’t be discussing it. This includes religion and politics.
5) Everything must be done within the limits of the law. No exceptions.

Hope this answers your questions. Possible meeting format specifics will be discussed at the first meeting. We will keep your e-mail addresses and send out a blind carbon copy e-bulk e-mail for the date, time and place of the first meeting. Again, thanks for the interest.

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
OK...

This is a SELF RELIANT organization.

Isn't that an enormous contradiction? If they're self reliant, they don't need others and if they're self reliant, they don't need to join an organization. This is as contradictory as Anarchists Unite!

·
Registered
231 Posts
I really think this is a good idea. I would actually love to be apart of the community were it not for the fact that it was in california. I personally want to stay away from the lower west coast. Were this commune in Idaho or one of the Dakotas i'd be all over it.

·
The end is,,,,,
10,003 Posts
well ya, you need to be with like minded folks, learn what you can and share what you know. But start with folks you already know. Sorry, cant trust too many strangers now a days.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Is there Cool-Aid involved? lol, I think it is a good idea, but nothing on this Earth could get me to move to California. Except maybe a one night stand with Sandra Bullock...
You have odd taste in women.
Come down to california lots of beautiful women all waiting for Mr. Right.
I get a kick taking a woman down to the woods for a hike, its like watching a baby eat a lemon weird faces mixed with wonder and awe.

I might just join up could you post some pics of you and your group?

·
Do U Want To Live Forever
212 Posts
I lived in CA for 9 months and that was enough for me!!!

You might get more to join if you were looking at a more tolerant state such as Idaho, Wyoming or the Dakota's

·
Registered
972 Posts
Seems to me people are leaving Cali, not going there. Gotta be a reason, and after spending time there in the military, I'd never go back.

Think I'll stay where I'm at and do without. Must be some folks around me now that can provide the same service without the liberal PC crap.

·
City Survivior
576 Posts
Most of California sucks testicles I live in southern California sure the weather is nice and there is a beach near by but take those away and California is just really expensive. I wanna move but am stuck here at the moment if California would change gun laws I would be fine

·
Dyin aint much of a livin
421 Posts
You have odd taste in women.
Come down to california lots of beautiful women all waiting for Mr. Right.
I get a kick taking a woman down to the woods for a hike, its like watching a baby eat a lemon weird faces mixed with wonder and awe.

I might just join up could you post some pics of you and your group?
I believe my taste in women is just fine thanks. Anyways, Me and My group would consist of my family. My wife and I raise chickens and have small crop, my mother and sisters have crop, my neighbors have goats and crop, and my other neighbors have beef cattle. We have trade routes set up with each other. Nothing exciting but it works.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts