Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, I've got an old Remington model 700 .308 that belonged to my dad. He bought it sometime in the late 70's and it was left to me when he passed. It currently has an old Tasco 3x9 on it which he mounted when he bought the rifle, the glass is actually pretty good on those older Tasco scopes and for sentimental reasons I've left the gun exactly as he had it. However, the last time I took it out to shoot it I noticed the scope was pretty fuzzy during late evening hours. I really hate to do it but at this point I think my dad would've replaced the scope himself anyway and it's a fine rifle which really deserves a nice optic.

My current budget allows me to spend around $150. I'd love to spend more on an optic for such a fine rifle but that's just not possible at the moment. So, keeping in mind that 300 yards would probably be the absolute longest shot I would ever need to make around here what are some good quality scopes in that price range that you guys have experience with? Aside from taking it deer hunting a few times a year the rifle stays in my safe so I don't need anything super tactical or fancy just a good, clear, durable optic for deer, hogs, or coyotes out to 300 yards.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Century Arms has a sale on refurbished scopes. I bought one a couple of years ago. Works great. I like 2 to 7 for hunting. 3 to 9 is also acceptable. Best to get one that you like. I have several tasco scopes. they are not that bad. I mount them on 22lr.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hadn't thought about keeping a Tasco on it but I do like the reviews on the world class series. I'm also open to any other brands if there's something out there with even better glass in that price range. Definitely going to add Tasco to the list though

·
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!
13,567 Posts
If you got your budget up towards $200, you could pick up a real nice scope.

Nikon
Burris
Redfield
Leupold (on sale)

Nikons are about the best bang for the buck these days

You get what you pay for in glass. Quality glass and the coatings on it, make all the difference in the world.

Reactions: Ledhead

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a Nikon p-223 carbine scope on my AR and love it so Nikon was actually my first thought, I've heard a lot of good things about Redfield too. I'll probably be going to Academy soon and looking at these 2 brands first, I just don't know much about the specific models they make

·
Third World'er Lunatic
16,245 Posts
I would say a zeiss Divari or conquest the least .have one (early model Daivari)on my old 700. excellent opics

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Don't know if it's in budget but I'm very happy with my Bushnell Banner Dusk and Dawn 3-9X40. Currently on my Voere .22 bolter and lethal it surely is! I wouldn't hesitate to tie it to something bigger.

·
Ephemerally here
6,875 Posts
You've got time - put the old scope on gunbroker or similar, and expand your budget! Every little bit better the glass is, improves your chances/shooting just about that much. You'll be glad you did, especially as the Years go by. Old eyes really profit from brighter glass.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts