Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
This site sucks
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have other filters but after reading about this one I had to try it. Just got it for a home filter. Got free buckets from Walmart. It came with everything including a drill bit.
I will get it together this weekend and give it a test.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I have one of these also. Good for 1,000,000 gallons of water. I think that should do just fine! Mine is packed for emergencies, but by all means, please post if there are flaws or problems with it! Thanks!

·
This site sucks
1,980 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just go to the bakery section at Walmart and ask for buckets. They are food grade. They get frosting in them. I will try and make a vid as I put it together and then filter some dirty with it. It comes with a large syringe to backflush the filter also.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I got the kit as well and it looks great.
Thinking about getting a 2nd.

How did you get the free bucket?
Ive got more free buckets than I need. Acme bakery keeps calling me to pick up more! It saves them from having to wash them out. The employees appreciate less work. Just go into your grocery store and ask. Shoprite didnt help but Acme was more than willing to unload them!

·
Banned
19,284 Posts
Someone made a point earlier to place the gasket on the inside of the bucket instead of outside, so it doesn't get hard and crack in the elements.:thumb: I have 3 of these. Also the WAllys in MS won't give 'em to mom . They say they sell them to some company...:confused:

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
I have one of these also. Good for 1,000,000 gallons of water. I think that should do just fine! ...
Just a correction... It is GUARANTEED for a million gallons. That doesn't mean that it is "good" for a million gallons or will even last a million gallons. Basically it is a lifetime warranty. It is not a rating or estimate of how many gallons this will actually filter.

Very importance difference to be aware of.

Still a great filter and system though.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Wasn't the guy in the video using Home Depot buckets? I thought they weren't food grade. Do you need food grade buckets to filter water?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Wasn't the guy in the video using Home Depot buckets? I thought they weren't food grade. Do you need food grade buckets to filter water?
Yes, you need food grade buckets. I thought those buckets looked like Home Depot brand, but wasnt sure. I believe he is in a third world country, so the water should go pretty fast! I dont know how much harm could come to water being in this kind of bucket if its emptied quickly. So he made 3 mistakes, Non food grade, gasket on wrong side, and putting filtered water back in dirty bucket!

·
Registered
989 Posts
Yes, you need food grade buckets. I thought those buckets looked like Home Depot brand, but wasnt sure. I believe he is in a third world country, so the water should go pretty fast! I dont know how much harm could come to water being in this kind of bucket if its emptied quickly. So he made 3 mistakes, Non food grade, gasket on wrong side, and putting filtered water back in dirty bucket!
I thought I saw him put the water back in the same bucket, but wasn't quite sure. Seems like an obvious mistake for someone that took the time to buy a filter in the first place.

As for leeching the chemicals from a non-food grade plastic, I'm sure it's a matter of time exposure. The longer the contact, the more the leeching.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I've had a hard time finding bpa free food grade buckets, so i finally found my source- arizona ice tea bottles. They are pretty dang strong.

took me all of 5 min to assemble/build, and it works mint, no leaks.

THATS using ur noggin to make it work!!! very wise. This shows us ANY food grade device such as juice, milk, tea, etc plastic containers and be used and can also be used to store the water.

./applaud

·
Registered
335 Posts
Yeah these are great. My church has been installing them in Fiji for years now and work like a charm. Our pastor did a news segment where he took water from the polluted San Diego river and drank it on the side of the road

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Would there be a big advantage to getting the Point Zero Two vs. the Point One? I know the Zero Two will filter viruses but is that degree of coverage necessary? It looks like the Zero Two is about twice the price.

I was thinking about buying the Zero Two but the extra $60 would come in handy in other areas.

·
Registered
610 Posts
IMO, a .1 is fine if you live in an area where there's relatively good water in the first place.

If you're drinking the rio grande or the mississippi, you're probably going to want the .02.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts