1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
I see a bad moon arising
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just an FYI for anyone that's interested, I just found an article in my
latest issue of Guns & Ammo -- Ruger is bringing back the SP101
revolver chambered in .22 LR. (Currently available in .38/.357 and
.327, but the .22 LR chambering was discontinued years ago.
Used models seem to get snapped up pretty quick.)

Double Action. 8-shot capacity. 4.3" barrel. Fiber-optic front sight,
v-notch adjustable rear. Brushed stainless finish. Rubber grips with
walnut inserts.

I've had my eye out for a used one, but never made it a quest to go track
one down. Looks like I have a new toy on the "want" list. :D:

Rummaged around for some links or pics, but there is NOTHING out
on the web that I can find short of some vague rumors. Hasn't
even shown up on Ruger's site yet.

·
Expect No Mercy!
443 Posts
I would like to have one as well so I'll be looking. Not to much on the fiber sights though.
I'm still looking for their new 1911. :thumb:

·
I see a bad moon arising
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
found a picture on another forum that looks like it was scanned from
the G&A article.

Don't have the magazine handy right now, but if I recall correctly,
the MSRP was $645. So maybe in the $500 retail price, once the
new-product hype wears off.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Ruger has been producing some really cool guns lately = the GS scout rifle , bolt action 357 , sp101 327 , lcr , lcp , lc9 , sr9 . If they come out with the gun in the picture Varmit posted , it will no doubt be a big seller . Another gun for my wish list .

·
I see a bad moon arising
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Picked up some additional info on some other forums.

Apparently Guns & Ammo accidentally released the SP101 article too early.

Ruger is not pleased with G&A, and is apparently back-peddling at the
moment, saying the new SP101 in .22 is NOT currently for sale.

But other rumors seem to indicate a possible release date of August 2011.

G&A didn't indicate in their article that the SP101 they tested was a
one-off prototype however. I'm pretty sure the new revolver will be
on the shelves soon. It's just that the cat's out of the bag a little earlier
than Ruger wanted, from a standpoint of marketing. :D:

·
Slayer of Sacred Cows
588 Posts
Cool!

I've got one of the originals and was debating over having a gunsmith install adjustable fully adjustable sights. But, didn't want to botch any collectors value.

This will be a nice alternative to that.

BTW- Ruger marketing has had it's head up it's 5th point of contact for awhile, IMHO.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I am happy to hear they are reintroducing this product. I wrote them several years ago asking them to do just that, but never received a reply from them. Maybe they do take a look at their mail, after all.

·
I see a bad moon arising
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
290 Posts
Ruger has been producing some really cool guns lately = the GS scout rifle , bolt action 357 , sp101 327 , lcr , lcp , lc9 , sr9 . If they come out with the gun in the picture Varmit posted , it will no doubt be a big seller . Another gun for my wish list .
Thanks Woodswalker you just cost me $$$. I have been looking for a Marlin 1894c in 357 for a couple years. The Ruger 357 rifle would be a great gun for me. I don't know how I missed it. I love 357 and to me with a low power scope and my SP101, I'd have a great pair.

The SP101 22lr should be a tank but I like semi's in 22lr and for light duty work prefer to carry 38's in my SP101 357 (3"). Also, like this weekend, I'll be at the hunting lease moving stands, hanging camera's and such. Snake boots and my SP101 357 with snake-shot are a big piece of mind. I'm sure the SP101 22 will be a quality shooter but I prefer more versatility for $500 - $600.

·
I see a bad moon arising
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Woodswalker you just cost me $$$. I have been looking for a Marlin 1894c in 357 for a couple years. The Ruger 357 rifle would be a great gun for me. I don't know how I missed it. I love 357 and to me with a low power scope and my SP101, I'd have a great pair.

The SP101 22lr should be a tank but I like semi's in 22lr and for light duty work prefer to carry 38's in my SP101 357 (3"). Also, like this weekend, I'll be at the hunting lease moving stands, hanging camera's and such. Snake boots and my SP101 357 with snake-shot are a big piece of mind. I'm sure the SP101 22 will be a quality shooter but I prefer more versatility for $500 - $600.
Yeah, the SP101 is definitely a tad pricy at $500 for a .22 when there's
some really nice semi-autos out there in the $300 range. (Ruger Mark III
and the Browning Buckmark.)

I'll probably end up with one anyway (once the "new" factor wears off the
retail price) mainly because I'm a gun tramp. Don't "need", just "want".

I've got that same SP101, .357 in the 3" barrel. Definitely my choice
for a carry gun with snake shot on my rural property also.
"Co-exist" with copperheads, I will NOT. Haven't run across one
yet, but I'm locked and loaded if I do.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
I am happy to hear they are reintroducing this product. I wrote them several years ago asking them to do just that, but never received a reply from them. Maybe they do take a look at their mail, after all.
since they (Ruger) listen to you how about writing and asking for a .22lr in the LCP package ;) the new SP is at the top of my list, now I just need money ;)

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
I got to fondle one with my greedy, grubby hands today at the local shop. :D:

I was ready to buy it on the spot, but they had just got it in today and weren't ready to sell it yet. Not sure what they will ask for it. My bank account was happy, but I was disappointed. I want one! :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
I hope that Ruger plans on some 3" barrels in the future. Also Kudos to Ruger for moving the infamous "WARNING" to the underside of the barrels on new guns.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
They are making them as fast as they can but not keeping up with demand just yet. It's a nice little handgun with the typical features of a Ruger; stainless steel, rough, tough, and user friendly. They are selling for about $570 around here and they never get to the display case.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts