Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Fire Fighter
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I gave up on the 85 ft tree tower, this old body does not want to climb back up it anymore?? I ended up buying a nice allmost new 50 ft tower real cheap and did the pour for the tilt up base and house bracket is now mounted. I had to make the tilt up base and wall bracket because they just wanted to much money for the parts I could weld up. I still need to do my Grounding Grid for Lightning but I have time as the concrete is still setting up and I am waiting for my LMR-400 Coax and one 8 ft long 2" alum Tube for the top. I set it up so I can winch it up myself and the pulley is designed into the wall bracket 22 ft off the ground. Mark

·
Living YOUR dreams!
648 Posts
Woohoo!
Sounds great man.
Both of my towers are 35 footers. For now anyway. I thought I could get by with freestanding at that height, but ended up having to guy them. The winds here can be horrific.
I'm running a multi-band vertical for 10-80m, a 40m endfed dipole, and a 160m full sized dipole.
We have too much ice/snow for horizontals, and the eagles try to perch on everything (no trees). Ergo the vert. The aerials are pulley weighted & too springy to tempt the birds, but still catch some small amount of icing.
I need to fab a pair of tilting masts for the ends of the 160m dip. Its a pain to loosen guys and lift a mast off its grounding picket, against the wind and solo!
Enjoy your tower.

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts
Interesting.

Can you guys post photos of your towers and HAM rigs?

·
Fire Fighter
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interesting.

Can you guys post photos of your towers and HAM rigs?
I will after it is tilted up. I have to let the concrete base cure for 21 days for maxium strength. I only have my 136-178 wide band Shakespere HS-2774-1 to go on top right now. It is designed to cover all our emergincy freqs including the USFS, DNR and other Fire related transmissions. Mark

·
Living YOUR dreams!
648 Posts

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
My connection speed pretty much limits me from pic heavy uploads & downloads, so I hope these links are sufficient.

End fed dipole http://www.parelectronics.com/end-fedz.php
160m dipole http://www.freewebs.com/hypower/webdoc1.html
Vertical http://www.cometantenna.com/newPro_detail.php?ID=234
Rig http://www.rigpix.com/icom/ic707.htm

However, I did find this old pic still in photobucket, extra sections & antennas have been added since then. See my trees? LOL
A TRUE Ham Shack! :thumb:

·
Registered
43 Posts
What antenna is going on top of it? I am curious as I don't personally trust aluminum as a stable enough mast for an antenna of any real size. As long as it is under 5sf, it should be OK. Also minimum K factor force (torque).

My main antenna is on a 50ft Rohn 45 tower. I live high on a hill and get incredible winds, so I needed a tower to take the strain.

My antenna is a 6 element, full size HF beam for 10,15, and 20 meters. The boom is 24 feet long and the longest element is 32 feet across. The mast pipe I used for this is 2inch chrome steel with 1/4 inch wall thickness. Here is a pic as the crane is moving away from setting it. The whole antenna and mast weigh 150ish lbs. Not a lite setup at ALL.

WM

·
Fire Fighter
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What antenna is going on top of it? I am curious as I don't personally trust aluminum as a stable enough mast for an antenna of any real size. As long as it is under 5sf, it should be OK. Also minimum K factor force (torque).

My main antenna is on a 50ft Rohn 45 tower. I live high on a hill and get incredible winds, so I needed a tower to take the strain.

My antenna is a 6 element, full size HF beam for 10,15, and 20 meters. The boom is 24 feet long and the longest element is 32 feet across. The mast pipe I used for this is 2inch chrome steel with 1/4 inch wall thickness. Here is a pic as the crane is moving away from setting it. The whole antenna and mast weigh 150ish lbs. Not a lite setup at ALL.

WM
Nice set up!! But for me at this time I only was going to use Verticals due to our wind problems. I presently have a Shakespeer 8 ft 135-170 Mhz wide band to top it with. I do not want to deal with a rotor and a wide antenna collecting our snow and ice. I went with the tilt up so as I get older I can still lower the tower by myself and service it. This is why I mounted it next to the house on a custom tilt base I made and a very heavy duty house bracket at the 22 ft level that holds the pulley for the winch cable. The winch is mounted on the base and that is what pulls the tower up to lock it in place. The upper bracket has 2 places the tower bolts to with U-Bolts and one place the 3rd leg goes into a place that is pined in place and keeps the tower rigid and locked in. I am mounting the lower 10 ft section today to the tilt base to get it ready for the Lightning Grounding Grid I have trenched for. I will be placing 10 ground rods and 250 ft of #4 bare copper in the ground as we do get lightning where I live also once in a while. I went with LMR400 Coax down the tower to a discharge plate hooked into the grounding grid and also at the top of the tower. My antenna only weighs around 8 lbs and the multi/band vertical I intend to add later is around 25 lbs. My base will only be around 5 ft from the tower and be totaly 12 volt back up powered. As I get more into Ham Radios I will step up to a High Freq Base also but at this time I am into 130-170 Freqs for the fire dept/police and rescue related stuff I due. I will be a relay station also for our fire people during wild fires up here. Mark

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.