Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This year I found out the rifle I planed on hunting with wasen't accurate enough for where I was planning to hunt.It's a Remmington 742 in 30-06 I still like it for a brush gun but just wouldn't attempt a shot on a whitetail over about 100 yards with it.I was too late finding out to trade up another for this years rifle season, but I'm geting an early start for next year. The new Rifle is a model 700 bdl 30-06 either a 64 or 68 model by the leters on the barrel. A quick safety check let me know it was a rifle that would accidently discharge when disengaging the safety, so I've got a timeny drop in trigger on the way. I've got an idea of what I'm looking for in a scope It's got a nice set of low rings already so 3X9X40 would work and be simple but I'm really liking a nikon monarc 2.5X10X50.

I'm mostly looking for advise on when is the best time to get a great deal on a scope, I may be geting a couple this year one for the new rifle for sure and since trying a Nikon I put on a muzzleloader this year the lesser scopes I have on other rifles just gotta go.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I guess I should also add I'm looking to spend somwhere in the range of 200-500 on the scope for the model 700. It will be used for medium range hunting up to around 2-300 yards, and in the woods 20-80 yards. I'm thinking I may just remove the scope and use iron sight on the 742 maybe I can trade it's see thru mount and bushnel scope for something here localy

·
Banned
1,402 Posts
I am by no means an expert on scopes, but I used to have a Leupold VX-1 3x9x40 and it was an excellent scope. I picked it up brand new for $250. The VX-3 is supposedly higher quality and can be found for just a little bit more. Might be worth looking into.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Leupold,Redfield and Nikon are all pretty much on the short list mostly for a good picture in low light. after using my nikon Inline xr 3x9x40 I don't want to go back to the lower end scopes
3x9x40 is probably the simplest since the rings that I already have on would work.But that nikon Monarch 2.5x10x50 I'm thinking the larger objective might make it work beter in low light but that would mean higher rings and maybe a lesser cheekweld

·
Registered
15 Posts
For price/performance ratio I'd recommend the Mueller APV hands down. Optics are great, stands up to abuse, stays zero'ed. Are there better optics? Yes, if you'd like to read the date on a dime at 500 yards might want to get something better. For the price though you can't beat this scope IMO. I have two of them and planning on getting a new rifle shortly after Xmas and I will order yet another Mueller. Comes in black and silver.

http://www.amazon.com/Mueller-Rifle-Scope-Black-4-5-14/dp/B000SULCTA/

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wasn't familiar with the Vortex or Mueller. I'll look into them also for my 22-250, I've got a tasco worldclass on it wich has done a real good job with holding zero and magnification but falls short in low light.Just gona have to figure out how to make more $ nice stuff ain't cheap.

·
Banned
6,705 Posts
A simple 4X would be ample for a 742 in 30-06. You can kill anything with this rifle. Do not overspend for more glass than you need.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is there a "BEST" time to buy a scope. Black Fri.,Cyber mon.,after hunting season,or maybe 1st of the year. Too late for some of that already. I could in theory wait all the way up to next Nov. though I think I'm way to excited to wait that long.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Did your rifle in fact fire when the safety was disengaged or did you gather that info from the inter web or tv?
Just wondering.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Did your rifle in fact fire when the safety was disengaged or did you gather that info from the inter web or tv?
Just wondering.
Because of previous experience with a used savage having the safety adjusted to the point it didn't work..."previous owner thought it had an adjustable trigger,..It didn't.". I check any firearm before loading it,and also hearing about some people having issues with an older 700 trigger.

The issue with my rifle was while disengaging the safety it would sometimes fire.I noticed it first on accident,...suprised me. I thought did that really just happen..Yes it definately did, but it would not repeat every time but I found that with the safety on if there is pressure on the trigger it would very often fire when disengaging the safety while the trigger was not being touched.

I think it's likely that a good cleaning and lubrication of the trigger group would make it less likely to happen again I will not be taking that chance,when it's such a simple fix just to upgrade the entire trigger group and safety.I also like that the aftermarket trigger and safety make it possible to open the action with the safety on.

I have no way to know for sure but I don't believe the rifle had been altered in any way from the factory, accept for having scope rings. It doesent look like the action has been out of the stock yet,and it feels like the trigger has a medium to heavy triggerpull

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ended up going with a Nikon, it was close to me but I went for the lowest magnification I could find Nikon Prostaff 5 2.5-10x40 I couldnt get it in the Monarch without going to a 42mm objective. It'll still be really close on geting the leupold low mounts to work. I found it at Extreme Navigation for $224.51 shipped the cheapest I found it anywhere else was amazon at about$265 shipped and over $360 some places. If the rifle turns out to be a good shooter I'll someday put a Vortex or Leupold on it and move the Nikon to the 742, the 2.5X should be nice for a brush gun

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm pretty sure there was a recall on it, even though I'm changing to an aftermarket triggergroup maybee they'd still send me a new X Mark I could have for a spare. As long as I wouldn't have to send it off somwhere, I'm to anxious to try it out to ship it off.

·
I say I say
1,019 Posts
If you have the cash: Leupold or Nightforce(heavier).
If you limited; Vortex
Most people buy an expensive rifle and a cheap scope. Good glass is always a good thing.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I compared the Mid-Grade Nikon prostaff to the cheapest Leopold the rifleman. even though the Nikon are good they don't really compare to the leopold even on their bottom line budget scope Leopold is beter they were within about $20 dollars of each other. but I went with the Nikon instead becouce the leopold had 1/2 moa turrets instead of 1/4 or 1/8. I haven't looked through the scope I ordered a prostaff 5,if it's at least as good as the prostaff I looked at I'll be happy till I can afford a better scope like the Vortex or Leopold.If I could have found a Redfield in the same 2.5-10X40 or similar low power variable I would have went with it. The Redfield looks like a Quality American made scope and at a price compete with Nikon.

I really like the Vortex from all I read about them but it seems like for the same money You can get an American made Leopold.But it's gona be a while saving that much money so I got plenty of time to decide.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I would not put a Mueller on a rimfire for plinking squirrels. Leupold is about the minimum I will use. I spend a lot of hours every year looking through glass and try most everything out there. I am tough on optics year round and have no qualms about cranking on them knobs. Last year I was high on hensoldts and in fairness still am but the NXS compacts are stealing the show this year. I picked up a couple of the 2.5-10x32s a while back and like them a lot, but the 2.5-10x42 is a serious contender, for the money.

I like the compactness of errr well compact nightforce scopes and function is well nightforce quality.

I am liking the Zeiss's this year as well. Glass is about as good as you will get and the zero stop is dummy proof, but I kinda hate being limited to one turn of the knobs.

The longer I do this either my eyes get better or I just realize I do not need a bunch of magnification to shoot long range. There is an exception to that line of thinking. I like the NXS 8-32 on my big gun for extreme long range.

·
Registered
None of your business.
3,402 Posts
I guess I should also add I'm looking to spend somwhere in the range of 200-500 on the scope for the model 700. It will be used for medium range hunting up to around 2-300 yards, and in the woods 20-80 yards. I'm thinking I may just remove the scope and use iron sight on the 742 maybe I can trade it's see thru mount and bushnel scope for something here localy
Get a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 MC Z-Plex for $369.99 with free shipping here: http://www.covecreekoutfitters.com/optics/zeiss-conquest-3-9x40-mc-20-z-plex

Enjoy your new present.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts