Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
zombie response team
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well last year i had a kel tec sub2000 9mm carbine on order but it was hurricane season in florida which is were kel tec is located, so i got tired of waiting and just put what i payed on the kel tec on a stag arms model 3 ar15 my ffl had in the shop. well long story short i ended up selling my beloved ar last summer for financial reasons, im looking to buy another gun for the collection and i think i got it narrowed, id love to have the keltec its just too neat, but i would also like to have a 9mm pistol for ammo prices i have a 1911 already so i got all the knock down i need there, so i debating on the keltec or a ruger p95, then again id kinda like to have an ak too, but wut do u guys think between the kel tec and the ruger?:eek:

·
zombie response team
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i have other rifles, and some short shotties, and i know the p95 is average, average on price but rock solid on reliability, ive shot a few and i would just like to have a pistol in 9x19 ive got a 1911 already, but i guess it goes back to buy what u want, or u will regret the purchase

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
If you had recent financial issues which made you sell a main rifle, then it may be wiser to put some money in the bank instead of spending it again on a rifle.

Another vote for the AK-47. But, get a saiga and convert it. They work great. 2" groups with golden tiger ammo over here topped with an eotech 512.

You already got a pistol. You may want to look into consolidating your collection too. IT's a tough choice those. They all fun and you'd hate to let one go, but make sure you got a basic arsenal covered. 1 shotgun, 1 centerfire, 1 pistol, and 1 22lr rifle.

·
Registered
106 Posts
AK without a doubt!

Not so sure what the deal is with the Saga but personally I'm not really a fan. I would buy a standerd AK and a couple cases of ammo and your good to go!

Next time you fall on hard times sell something other than the Item that one day may feed you and protect your family!

·
Slayer of Sacred Cows
588 Posts
Get an AK, ammo, mags and things like spare parts etc.,.

I see pistol caliber carbines as niche weapons either silenced with proper ammo or in the case of the Kel-tec a "get home rifle" or "car trunk/ under the pickup seat gun" with it's main advantage a slightly more stable shooting platform than a pistol. I say slightly because of it's light weight.

It's the only rifle I can fold and store in the center console of my P71 Crown Vic. But I have many other real rifles for extended SHTF use.

·
zombie response team
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well the financial issues r in the past now, ive always wanted to convert a saiga so i could have a ''real ak'' a russian one i mean, i wouldnt spend the money on an eotech to put it on an ak though just my opinion, a $500 dollar site on a $700 gun, as far as consolidating my collection the 1911 goes no were it was built by my dad from mainly wilson combat parts other than the frame and slide and my dad passed away of lung cancer back in 06 i was only 16 at the time so no none of his/my guns are being consoladated i apreciate the input though, and i know the kel tec is plastic and all but it wont see prolonged use, as far as a sub caliber carbine, around here with an exception of the river bottoms u dont have a shot one anyone or anything over 150-200yds, i think a 9x19 or .40 will do the job, i mainly want it because of how it folds and stores away, i kinda feel like im contradicting my self here guys but i do apreciate the input, any input helps me get my priorities together as far as what guns i ''need''

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
The 500 dollar sight on the 700 dollar gun can make you hit a target 2 seconds quicker. Which may make a huge difference.

If dead set on the pistol / rifle combo. I would go 45 acp or 40 S&W. Likely 40 S&W. Affordable to stock up, and the extra velocity is gladly appreciated in a rifle.

The high point might be an option to you. Even a Marlin camp carbine in 45 acp.

·
zombie response team
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i like the camp carbine they take 1911 mags too high point is out of the question not to knock the highpoints i know they work and work well, and yes i know what that 500 dollar sight will do i was in the process of having one shipped when i sold my ar15 that rifle i would deff spend the money on, an ak on the other hand id like to keep as simple as possible so i'll probly stick to irons, and yeah the .40sw might be an idea just never had much interest in the round, now the 10mm on the other hand from which the .40 is based is my dream caliber i have .45s already, wish they made the kel tec in 10mm or even .357 sig or 7.62x25 even i would have any of them bought up so quick, while on the subject its a shame the 7.62x25 round isnt more common as far as modern guns chambered for it, its a really nice round and plenty cheap i'd love to have a glock or hell a 1911 chambered in it

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
A little punctuation, capitalization and whole words go a long way to readibility.

As to your original question. Since you already have a good pistol, do you have a rifle too? If not, I'm with the AK folks. Inexpensive, powerful and ammo is still relatively affordable. It's always good to cover the basics before expanding the collection. How about a nice .22 for marksmanship practice and taking small game quietly?

·
zombie response team
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yes sir deff a shtf weapon, wont carry the shotgun i let some one else use it in the scenario, i will be packing a 1911 i figure i can hit any thing in side of shotgun range with the 1911, im really leaning towards the ak, ive had an ar but i think i would be more happy with the 7.62 round than the 5.56

·
zombie response team
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
and if i didnt already have a damn fine pistol id be looking into a 10mm glock, god i want a 10mm so bad, the way i see it the .40 should ve never been produced they should have stuck with the 10mm, then maybe it would be a lot more common now

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
First trow out your ballistics beliefs.... 9mm-45 has a penetration depth in calibrated ballistics gel averaging 10-13 inches Your 10mm does maybe 2-3" max. Tissue damage for the 9mm-45acp are nearly identical and some rounds in 9mm out perform 45, while some 45s out perform 9mm.

Ultimately a pistol is a pistol and a rifle is a rifle.

First I think a pistol is better then a folding carbine. It is more concealable and generally more versatile. I personally am not a fan of Ruger, but I have had more experience with there older models, and not the new ones. They aren't super reliable, they are just average. They will be more then reliable enough for most people if you clean the weapon.

I also vote for the AK, as 1911s are much more labor intensive to keep up then most modern pistols.

Ultimately its your decision, and I think the pistol then a AK concept might be the way for you. As for which brand, go pick it. I have had really reliable Romanian AKs with decent MOA but i knew what to look for.

Good luck

·
zombie response team
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yeah i know wut to look for in a wasr but i still probably wont get one, maybe an arsenal. as far as the pistol thing yes i agree especialy with the 1911 being a high maintanace weopon but i already got one and its running good, the carbine i can hit targets out to 200 only minute of man size though, i apreciate the balistic gell info

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
yeah i know wut to look for in a wasr but i still probably wont get one, maybe an arsenal. as far as the pistol thing yes i agree especialy with the 1911 being a high maintanace weopon but i already got one and its running good, the carbine i can hit targets out to 200 only minute of man size though, i apreciate the balistic gell info
1911s are fine, but I suggest other firearms unless the person is very knowledgeable. Id keep it and shoot it but a upgrade in the future would be nice. Romanian AKs are a pain good luck.

·
zombie response team
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well im pretty knowledgable bout this type of thing my dad built it out of springfeild and wilson combat parts, hopefuly im going to colorado school of trades next year for gunsmith training

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.