Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.crosman.com/airbow

Not sure how many of you have seen this, but it is pretty awesome. The power of a bow, the feel and accuracy of a rifle. Plus silent as can be. You can get a hand pump for charging it as well, which would be great in a world without modern conveniences.

The gun itself isn't too expensive at $900 but $100 for each additional arrow is pretty steep.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For that kind of cash I can get an AR or AK and lots of ammo.
Perhaps not as quiet but shoots a lot further.
Should have known this response would happen. By this reasoning you would have 1 weapon in your arsenal and AR or AK because why get "X" when you can get an AR or AK.

I am not saying replace the AR or AK in your gun safe with this, but it could have room ALONG SIDE your other guns.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
Should have known this response would happen. By this reasoning you would have 1 weapon in your arsenal and AR or AK because why get "X" when you can get an AR or AK.

I am not saying replace the AR or AK in your gun safe with this, but it could have room ALONG SIDE your other guns.
What nitch does it fill?

You'd be FAR better off spending the same money on a top quality suppressor than buying this "dart gun" with proprietary parts and expensive "ammo"

·
I have issues
2,507 Posts

OK pick any firearm you want. My point is you are spending a lot on specialized darts. Did not say I only have one type of weapon in my arsenal. But the crossbow I have cost me a lot less and I can make the darts for it. And do not need special tools like an air pump to make it work.
You asked for opinions. Sorry you didn't like mine.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I really like the concept, but can't see why it cost so much?

http://www.crosman.com/airbow

Not sure how many of you have seen this, but it is pretty awesome. The power of a bow, the feel and accuracy of a rifle. Plus silent as can be. You can get a hand pump for charging it as well, which would be great in a world without modern conveniences.

The gun itself isn't too expensive at $900 but $100 for each additional arrow is pretty steep.

·
Registered
55 Posts
http://www.fxairguns.com/rifle/the-verminator-mkll-extreme/

It's been around for awhile. Although the price on this one is even more steep then the one OP posted. Would be fun to own shoot and hunt with but defeats the purpose of a arrow and learning to use a bow. Can get two crossbows and a pellet gun for the price of one of those and never have to worry about a arrow braking and money in the bank for a replacement. Maybe if they dropped the price significantly it would be worth a try.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really like the concept, but can't see why it cost so much?
I think because it is new. They are probably trying to figure out what they can get for it so they placed it in the higher end of the crossbow market (although some crossbows are much more).

What nitch does it fill?

You'd be FAR better off spending the same money on a top quality suppressor than buying this "dart gun" with proprietary parts and expensive "ammo"
It fits somewhere in the bow/crossbow region. Are you saying you would not ever have a need for a crossbow? Off the bat this looks expensive but a top quality crossbow could be twice this price.

OK pick any firearm you want. My point is you are spending a lot on specialized darts. Did not say I only have one type of weapon in my arsenal. But the crossbow I have cost me a lot less and I can make the darts for it. And do not need special tools like an air pump to make it work.
You asked for opinions. Sorry you didn't like mine.
Has nothing to do with not liking your opinion. This is a discussion forum, I like to discuss things. If you have a crossbow I doubt you have a need for this as they fill the same roll. You could EASILY spend more on a crossbow than on this airbow though. Sounds like price point is your only problem with it. That is my concern as well. :thumb:

·
TEXAS!!!
7,334 Posts

Interesting, and expensive novelty. I already have a good take down bow. Both cheaper, lighter, and less cumbersome. Plus, I can make my own arrows.

However, looks like fun.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
I

It fits somewhere in the bow/crossbow region. Are you saying you would not ever have a need for a crossbow? Off the bat this looks expensive but a top quality crossbow could be twice this price.
b:
Nitch:

As in I can see where u might carry a G19, but sometimes there's a G26 sized hike to fill.

Sometimes my model 7 with can, sometimes a MBR, but I would take my .50 for 1,000 yard shots over any of them...

Etc

What DOES IT DO (better, different, etc) that isn't filled, or is better filled than another tool.

I use my 16" chainsaw fir limbing, and a 24 for cutting....

What nitch does it fill?

·
Third World'er Lunatic
16,245 Posts
:thumb:there is a niche for em, I used one as far back as 75, course the ones we used were CO2 powered, spear/arrow guns. their niche was being able to use underwater, and faster for a reload/ **** that doing that with a std Band type spear gun.

that and the fact they will shoot in air, where as the band guns don't handle that very well.

don't know how well the scope would work under water, But in my experience, I could see a use for it.

they are other designs, that would probably be more acceptable (familiar) to people...:D:

Attachments

·
Noble Savage
2,314 Posts
Maybe I just don't get it, but if you want to shoot an arrow but have the feel of a rifle why not just get a crossbow? They're often cheaper, simpler so they don't rely on tiny valves and gaskets to function, and arrows don't have to cost you $100 a piece that way either. I'm not trying to bash it, new idea are a good thing and it is pretty neat, but it just seems like needless complication with very little benefit over 1000 year old technology

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What nitch does it fill?
If you are going to be condescending use the right word lmao. It is niche and does not require the field to be completely empty. It can fill the same niche as something else.

As I said. It fills the same niche as a crossbow would. What uses do you have for a crossbow? Well you could use this for the same thing. The benefit here is that there are some people in this world that are too weak/old ect to use a crossbow or bow and arrow.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Maybe I just don't get it, but if you want to shoot an arrow but have the feel of a rifle why not just get a crossbow? They're often cheaper, simpler so they don't rely on tiny valves and gaskets to function, and arrows don't have to cost you $100 a piece that way either. I'm not trying to bash it, new idea are a good thing and it is pretty neat, but it just seems like needless complication with very little benefit over 1000 year old technology
I honestly wouldn't buy one because of the cost involved. If the price comes down I'd consider it. Although high end crossbows are easily more expensive than this. If it helps one person though it's worth the post. Too many people around here get ****y when you post something that they don't need or doesn't apply to them (not talking about you, or even anyone in this thread).

Just opening up other discussions instead of what gray man outfit I'll wear week 1 of the "event".

·
I have issues
2,507 Posts
If you are going to be condescending use the right word lmao. It is niche and does not require the field to be completely empty. It can fill the same niche as something else.

As I said. It fills the same niche as a crossbow would. What uses do you have for a crossbow? Well you could use this for the same thing. The benefit here is that there are some people in this world that are too weak/old ect to use a crossbow or bow and arrow.
Now that I can see. Would be along the same lines as modifying existing firearms for handicapped.

·
Noble Savage
2,314 Posts
I honestly wouldn't buy one because of the cost involved. If the price comes down I'd consider it. Although high end crossbows are easily more expensive than this. If it helps one person though it's worth the post. Too many people around here get ****y when you post something that they don't need or doesn't apply to them (not talking about you, or even anyone in this thread).

Just opening up other discussions instead of what gray man outfit I'll wear week 1 of the "event".
What would be interesting to me about this is if it can be adapted to use different kinds of projectiles. A high powered air gun that can shoot arrows and bullets would be really neat.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts

Except.... that's bull****.

It does NOT fill the same nitch/hole/use/I really DGA.... (Fill in the blank) as a crossbow.
Crossbows are legal in some areas/for some people to use to hunt with during bow season.
This is not

You can make "a" crossbow.
You can't make or repair this "thing"

You can make crossbow bolts.
You can't make these "darts" (and they are insanely overpriced.)

If you are too weak to use a crossbow, they have spanners.
(Another example of your innacuracy)

-not that I have a use for a crossbow, I just use one of my suppressors.

Try being accurate the next time your being condescending.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.