Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Destroyer of Karen
11,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Outdoor Research has come through!! Here are a few pictures so you can get a better idea of what I got.

Outdoor Research Alpine Bivy
+ Waterproof/breathable 3-layer GORE-TEX® Respiration Positive™ fabric
+ Durable Hydroseal® coated waterproof nylon floor
+ Fully taped seams
+ Single overhead shock-corded Delrin pole
+ No-see-um netting at opening
+ End-opening zipper with wide storm flap
+ Sleeping pad straps (US patent #5,941,264)
+ Sized to fit thicker mats like the Exped DownMat™ 7 Pump
+ Five stake loops, one guy line loop
+ High-volume foot section
+ Small internal mesh pocket
http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/alpine_bivy.html

I used a fan to expand it all the way so actual size can be seen

This is the bug netting for those nice nights without rain and max ventilation.

The inside, that black strap is what hold your sleeping mat in place (there is another one closer to the opening)

This is where you insert the pole, they even made it possible for dumb people like me to figure it out :)

This is with the flap open, just slide the pole on in and secure. Simple design seems to work quite well.

Lastly the poles; plain and simple yet lightweight and effective.

Very good lightweight 1 person shelter. This is what I will be using for the BOB. This was a craigslist score along with wonderful customer service on Outdoor Research's part.

·
Destroyer of Karen
11,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very nice.

How much does it weigh, and how big is it packed?
Its a little bit smaller than a loaf of bread when packed (I am sure I could find a smaller stuff sack for it)

As for the weight I have no scale but according to OR they say:

With pole: 1 lb and 15.99 oz

Without pole: 1 lb and 14.68 oz

·
Anarchist Guerilla
143 Posts
Well Straza I'm not sure if that would make a durable portable shelter during winter time but I'm pretty sure that would be highly effective for just about every other season.

·
Destroyer of Karen
11,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well Straza I'm not sure if that would make a durable portable shelter during winter time but I'm pretty sure that would be highly effective for just about every other season.
Well the name of the bivy is "Alpine" and they claim that it can be used above the tree line. One thing I would like to say is that using a bivy gives your bag about 15 degrees more warmth so if you have a zero bag it would act more like a -15 bag.

·
Like MacGyver, but w/guns
315 Posts
How would you compare this to the US issue bivy bag? I like the size but I'm sure the surplus bivy would still be more affordable for most of us.

·
Destroyer of Karen
11,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How would you compare this to the US issue bivy bag? I like the size but I'm sure the surplus bivy would still be more affordable for most of us.
I have never used a surplus bag, if you could provide a link I could compare material and weight. Also this may sound crazy but this cost me $25. I got one off craigslist and when I washed it the bathtub (floor) water-proofing material washed up. OR sent me a brand new one for free. Lifetime guarantee! So scour craigslist as most people have no idea what they are selling!

·
Forum Administrator
16,846 Posts
looks nice, but it also looks like you would burn up in warm / hot weather.

·
Destroyer of Karen
11,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
looks nice, but it also looks like you would burn up in warm / hot weather.
Remember the hood can fold back to reveal only no-see-um bug mesh for max ventilation. Also if it is really hot you can just not use a sleeping bag and sleep directly on the pad. I am in the process of sewing a nice cover for the pad to make it a bit more comfortable.

I have a trip planned in the next few months and I plan to do a full review on the pros and cons of this bag.

·
Like MacGyver, but w/guns
315 Posts
I have never used a surplus bag, if you could provide a link I could compare material and weight.
I didn't look too long so I didn't find official or construction specs...

U.S. Military issue
Woodland Camo coloring
100% waterproof, breathable GORE-TEX®
Sealed seams for durability and heat retention
Zip-down side with snap-over storm flap
Drawcord cinch at top.
30 x 80", 2 lbs., 3 ozs.

It doesn't have poles or mosquito netting. The sleeping pad is probably gonna be on the outside too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Good choice on the OR bivy. I'm very fond of OR gear. My choice for a solo shelter though was, the Hilleberg Akto. Check it out, it's a killer bivy!

·
Destroyer of Karen
11,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I didn't look too long so I didn't find official or construction specs...

U.S. Military issue
Woodland Camo coloring
100% waterproof, breathable GORE-TEX®
Sealed seams for durability and heat retention
Zip-down side with snap-over storm flap
Drawcord cinch at top.
30 x 80", 2 lbs., 3 ozs.

It doesn't have poles or mosquito netting. The sleeping pad is probably gonna be on the outside too.
sounds pretty comparable

·
Kibitzer
6,631 Posts
Brand new $300 bag for $25? That's what I call garage sailing.
Did ya read the other post?? Got a BRAND NEW replacement!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some folks find old Zippos and send them in for replacement.

I never have that luck and if I do send something in, it gets lost in mail.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have the next model down, the one without the hoop. I love it and it packs to nothing but would like the hoop to hold it up off my face. I usually rig up a stick tri pod over me to tie off to.
I agree, OR makes good stuff.

VL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts