Survivalist Forum banner

101 - 119 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
9,132 Posts
To be accurate, the pistol grip is not banned. It's just that having one means the rifle falls under a set of rules that prevents it from having a detachable mag. There are plenty of pistol grip equipped rifles for sale in CA.

The MUCH bigger issue for CA shooters is in the area of pistols. Where they are reliant on the manufacturers paying the blood money to the State to get their pistols on the CA Handgun Roster. Something that fewer and fewer manufacturers are willing to do. So that pretty much none of the newest offerings are available for sale in CA and the list of allowable pistols has been steadily shrinking.
Soooo, you can have it one way or the other...just not both ways? Pistol grip no detachable box magazine, detachable box magazine no pistol grip. I honestly don't know what to say to that...it defies logic?

·
Registered
15,995 Posts
Soooo, you can have it one way or the other...just not both ways? Pistol grip no detachable box magazine, detachable box magazine no pistol grip. I honestly don't know what to say to that...it defies logic?
You can install a "patriot mag release" and be compliant with the laws and still have all the nasty features. For now I just cut my pistol grip off, took the forward grip off and bolted the adjustable stock so it doesn't adjust.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
I am enjoying the discussion and various comments in this thread.

They make me glad that I live in West Virginia.

Hick has the right idea where he lives also.

Any gun owner who lives in California really needs to make plans to move out of state, as there is no future there. You should do it sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
9,132 Posts
You can install a "patriot mag release" and be compliant with the laws and still have all the nasty features. For now I just cut my pistol grip off, took the forward grip off and bolted the adjustable stock so it doesn't adjust.
OTOH
I and many like me, can own an AR exactly the way it was designed and I certainly don't have to butcher it to meet some weird (anti gun) definition of compliant.

FWIW
It's like some strange one up competition is going on between gun manufacturers and the California legislature and you poor bastards are caught in the middle. As for nasty features? I find those features to be most agreeable and I bet you would/do too, that is...if they were not illegal in your state.

Reactions: NCalHippie

·
Registered
15,995 Posts
OTOH
I and many like me, can own an AR exactly the way it was designed and I certainly don't have to butcher it to meet some weird (anti gun) definition of compliant.

FWIW
It's like some strange one up competition is going on between gun manufacturers and the California legislature and you poor bastards are caught in the middle. As for nasty features? I find those features to be most agreeable and I bet you would/do too, that is...if they were not illegal in your state.
Hopefully the SCOTUS will get involved sometime in the near future. One can hope.

·
Semper Fi
8,654 Posts
OTOH

FWIW
The competition isn't with gun manufacturers but with the aftermarket.

For instance the original "bullet button" to get around the first AWB was invented by a guy on CalGuns. It took a couple years of him selling it and no one getting arrested before the manufacturers felt comfortable enough to add it to their factory offerings.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Any gun owner who lives in California really needs to make plans to move out of state, as there is no future there. You should do it sooner rather than later.
We all think about it and some even leave but in the end guess what ? It's coming wherever you live as well. Maybe at a slower rate but the communists are worming their way into all the free states.

·
Semper Fi
259 Posts
Just to keep this thread on topic, I too put in a vote for the Keltec SU16CA. The lightest rifle I've ever owned, AK operating system (long-stroke piston) thus AK reliability. Takes AR mags, extractors, and muzzle brakes/compensators. Picatinny rail for scopes or reflex sights of your choice. And probably the most important of all, it doesn't look scary to the sheep.

Now, to the off-topic direction that the post is heading...

There are a lot of guns in CA. If it comes down to SHTF I have no doubt that the 5 minutes it takes to put a pistol grip on or take a mag-lock off will not impede in any way CA gun owners from being able to use their weapons.
Oh, and one more thing, the "official" numbers of how many guns are in CA, times that by at least a factor of 5.

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
14,041 Posts
We all think about it and some even leave but in the end guess what ? It's coming wherever you live as well. Maybe at a slower rate but the communists are worming their way into all the free states.
This may seem OT but it's not, b/c of the nature of the discussion.

As to "it's coming for you too," not so.

There's about a dozen or two states, and growing, that have begun taking very proactive political and pro-gun measures to prevent the locusts spreading their anti-gun diseases. They infected ~10 states, but states are passing rock solid pro-gun proactive laws to keep their gun rights AND deter the locusts from coming to a scary gun state...

From Constitutional Carry, shall issue carry permits, Sanctuary states and counties, to prohibiting more gun control, expanding self defense rights such as castle doctrine, etc. are measures as examples.

Some states are down the rabbit hole but other states wised up.

Stock up and proudly display those scary guns, I say. Put that evil looking AR or AK on the truck gun rack. Keep the locusts feeling UNWELCOMED. GO AWAY and don't come back.

So the topic at hand, hopefully, is mooted.

·
Registered
9,132 Posts
The competition isn't with gun manufacturers but with the aftermarket.

For instance the original "bullet button" to get around the first AWB was invented by a guy on CalGuns. It took a couple years of him selling it and no one getting arrested before the manufacturers felt comfortable enough to add it to their factory offerings.
Sure some ideas and products are coming from Californians looking for workarounds to nonsensical laws.

OTOH, lead free ammo has everything to do with the California ban on lead bullets...and the industries response to California law by making compliant ammo...

https://www.big5sportinggoods.com/store/details/CCI+Copper-22-Lead-Free-22LR-Ammo/0320105780038

Manufactures and vendors want to sell to Californians, it's a huge market. And yes! the consumer is caught in the middle, the legislature says you can't have this and manufacturers make something they can have. Usually at an inflated price because it's made specifically for sale to California consumers. There IS a subtle one-upmanship going on between the California legislature and manufactures, at it's core this is contest between an ideology and free trade.

·
Semper Fi
8,654 Posts
That's still not a competition between the State and manufacturers. The lead free ammo wasn't a work around, it was what the State mandated so the ammo companies produced it and the State wanted them to make it. Also while it was more of a niche market, ammo makers were already producing lead-free ammo before CA passed a law requiring it.

Though perhaps at some level the State secretly hoped the ammo makers wouldn't produce the required ammo and thus hunting and guns would take a further hit in CA.

·
Registered
9,132 Posts
To be fair it isn't just California, there are a handful of deep blue states that are on the anti gun band wagon. I think you are correct, that there is secret hope in these deep blue state legislatures that they can pass laws that will make manufacturers throw their hands up in the air and walk away. To their credit manufacturers have hung in there...
One good SCOTUS ruling that defines what gun laws the states can or cannot enact, might put an end to 90% of this nonsense.

·
Registered
15,995 Posts
To be fair it isn't just California, there are a handful of deep blue states that are on the anti gun band wagon. I think you are correct, that there is secret hope in these deep blue state legislatures that they can pass laws that will make manufacturers throw their hands up in the air and walk away. To their credit manufacturers have hung in there...
One good SCOTUS ruling that defines what gun laws the states can or cannot enact, might put an end to 90% of this nonsense.
That is what many of us are waiting for.:xeye:

·
Semper Fi
8,654 Posts
Yet SCOTUS has blatantly dodged such cases in recent years.

·
Semper Fi
8,654 Posts
Yep we moved from CA to rural AZ but you are correct, any state with a growing urban population is in danger of going blue. The Feds are helping the process along with their "refugee" resettlement as well.

To my chagrin, right after our move AZ trended purple pretty quickly in the 2018 elections.

To keep it on topic....OP have you decided on what to buy yet?

·
Wearing fur underwears...
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Yep we moved from CA to rural AZ but you are correct, any state with a growing urban population is in danger of going blue. The Feds are helping the process along with their "refugee" resettlement as well.

To my chagrin, right after our move AZ trended purple pretty quickly in the 2018 elections.

To keep it on topic....OP have you decided on what to buy yet?
Yeah, I sort of had my mind made up for a bit. Was going to buy an older Browning steel receiver BAR. Found a nice one for a good price, but someone beat me to it. I think that one was 30-06. I'm set up to reload both .308 and 30-06, but I'd sooner get the BAR in .308.

Haven't been around on here for a while, and kind of forgot about this thread.

101 - 119 of 119 Posts