Survivalist Forum banner

61 - 80 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Winchester 100 would absolutely NOT be my choice as they won't stand up to volume fire, being prone to parts breakage with spares impossible to get, extra mags are also scarce and expensive and the rifle is less accurate than a Garand or Remington 760 pump gun.
Ah...the point I was making is the model 100 isn't one of those scary looking rifles the OP seems to want to avoid. When appearance becomes one of the deciding factor, all other considerations takes a back seat.
FWIW,
There are tons of quality rifles that will pass the Fudd smell test with flying colors, they're just not semi auto and they will probably look scary to some people.

·
Wearing fur underwears...
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Did you even read the question posed by the OP? He wants a semi auto that does not look like a military rifle.
Further he wants to hunt deer, coyotes, wolves, perhaps even elk and moose with this gun.

Your suggestion does not answer the question.
Thanks again for this response. I appreciate all the answers, even the well intentioned ones trying to steer me, to guns I already have...

But boy is it ever nice to get a question answered without all the 2nd guessing sometimes! :)

·
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Whoops...I accidently inserted my first hand eval into a previous commentary. Mea culpe!
Thanks guys. Looks pretty military to the untrained eye, yet.

I've always been a bit leery of Keltech, but I suppose it's something I'd consider upon your good review, though. Just probably not this time around. Gas piston is pretty nice for the price.

Changeable barrel and components? Or pretty well fixed, save for specialized gun smithing?

·
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
TBH, I do believe that I have already made up my mind. I already have an SKS, but was toying with getting another, and wanted to gauge the other guns against it.

Leaning towards the BAR. Figure it has some pedigree, and pretty good build quality.

Thoughts on it?

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
14,147 Posts
Still really really confused.

Do coyotes care what your semi-auto looks like? "Oh, that's Jim over yonder with a non-scary rifle, so we're fine. But if he had an AR we'd be in real trouble....". Said no Coyote ever. Who is "judging" this scary looking gun when you're presumably fairly isolated popping prarie dogs? Why are you brandishing a long gun in an urban area, anyway, for others to judge or care? And presumably, when you DO have to brandish one, it's for lawful self defense and others would probably be okay with it, particularly in Wyoming or Montana or wherever you said you're at.

I'm really just confused by the lack of clarity in a question, and reluctance to accept the answer that there's just very few guns that are good semi-autos while looking like a traditional rifle. And, again, it would seem that's a really irrelevant feature b/c nobody is going to ignore nefarious gun behavior b/c of the appearance of said gun, and vice versa.

Maybe clarify the question and it might help with the answers.

·
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Still really really confused.

Do coyotes care what your semi-auto looks like? "Oh, that's Jim over yonder with a non-scary rifle, so we're fine. But if he had an AR we'd be in real trouble....". Said no Coyote ever. Who is "judging" this scary looking gun when you're presumably fairly isolated popping prarie dogs? Why are you brandishing a long gun in an urban area, anyway, for others to judge or care? And presumably, when you DO have to brandish one, it's for lawful self defense and others would probably be okay with it, particularly in Wyoming or Montana or wherever you said you're at.

I'm really just confused by the lack of clarity in a question, and reluctance to accept the answer that there's just very few guns that are good semi-autos while looking like a traditional rifle. And, again, it would seem that's a really irrelevant feature b/c nobody is going to ignore nefarious gun behavior b/c of the appearance of said gun, and vice versa.

Maybe clarify the question and it might help with the answers.
Lead Council, do you own a pick up?

And maybe with said pick up, you might also go places with a gun rack in the back window?

Isn't it also possible that driving across the country, or even into another country, that some guns are easier to reconcile with the local populace, or maybe slightly more importantly, the constabulary? I do like to travel, with more than one gun fairly often, and sometimes, I'd like something that doesn't afford me undue attention. Something that I don't have to hide to keep from scaring the natives, or run afoul of the law some more liberal less freedom loving places.

Why is the desire to own MORE guns with SOME guns being lower profile, while still keeping higher profile guns such a mental hurdle?

Does that shed a little more light on things? Yes, I still have an AR, and SKS among a few other semi autos.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Ah...the point I was making is the model 100 isn't one of those scary looking rifles the OP seems to want to avoid. When appearance becomes one of the deciding factor, all other considerations takes a back seat.
FWIW,
There are tons of quality rifles that will pass the Fudd smell test with flying colors, they're just not semi auto and they will probably look scary to some people.
I don't choose rifles based upon looks or cool factor. If I did then haviong grown up with 1950s cowboy movies the 94 Winchester .30-30 would have been first choice. But certainly not in terms of accuracy, range or firepower.

Having once been the owner of a Winchester 100 I would NEVER recommend it to anyone. A Remington 760 pump gun with a couple extended mags in either .223/5.56mm, .308 or .30-'06 which can use military ammo and does not beat itself to death in operation is better choice than the 740/742. The .223/5.56mm Police Patrol Rifle version can use M16 mags and is favored in areas where they don't want the cops to appear too "aggressive."

·
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
tell me more about this use/nitch.

Just thought about:

Norinco Hunter.

I've picked up 2 or 3 in the last year between $450 and $600.

Looks sporty with a 5 round mag in, but you can lock in a 30 or even a drum.
Basically looking for a rifle, I can schlep right across NA, from Texas, California, Detroit, and North right up to Alert.

The Hunter is interesting, but I believe that it wouldn't be legal in Canada, as Canada prohibited AK rifles and restricted AR rifles after the Oka stand off. Not sure if it would fly in California either. IIRC there is some kind of law about detachable mags, but might be more applicable to guns that the state defines as "assaulty". If I remember right, there is a mag size limit too.

The rifle I'm after should be capable, relatively easy to mount a scope on, hardly draw a second look if I end up on foot with it, and be an "almost everywhere compliant gun" if looked at with more scrutiny.

·
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I don't choose rifles based upon looks or cool factor. If I did then haviong grown up with 1950s cowboy movies the 94 Winchester .30-30 would have been first choice. But certainly not in terms of accuracy, range or firepower.

Having once been the owner of a Winchester 100 I would NEVER recommend it to anyone. A Remington 760 pump gun with a couple extended mags in either .223/5.56mm, .308 or .30-'06 which can use military ammo and does not beat itself to death in operation is better choice than the 740/742. The .223/5.56mm Police Patrol Rifle version can use M16 mags and is favored in areas where they don't want the cops to appear too "aggressive."
Already ruled out the 100, without having the pleasure of having owned one.

Having read the "Split Personality Pump" article years ago, despite the quirky delivery, I was intrigued. But right now looking at getting another semi.

Different guns for different purposes. It might not be my first choice if I go looking for trouble, but for a low maintenance gun that will survive the next 100 years, I'd probably reach for the old Swedish Mauser, or some old Mauser, or maybe a Marlin lever in a lower pressure chambering.

·
Semper Fi
8,661 Posts
I pulled my "Go to" Aka (AK "100" stock, aimpoint on an ultimak , single point sling, and light) out of My truck to put down an animal a few years ago and got the "are you a militia member" comments.

I still "swap back" to my AK to go to town, but out here I now keep a "good ole boy" beater 30-30 with a peep site, but cuff, and 2 point sling as my truck gun these days.

Mostly carry a paratrooper SKS and a couple clips on my land, sometimes in the truck, and my tanker M1 (308 and a little shorter really makes a difference) get honorable mention/occasional use.

Wood stocked SKS's with the bayonet taken off are ubiquitous enough not to get a second look, and stripper reloads are better than civilian options.
They are still a <$300 gun with some looking.
We pretty much don't have that problem here in AZ. In fact if you don't have an AR/AK you are considered under gunned. LOL.

·
Premium Member
4,508 Posts
Unfortunately your State will be bright blue in short order, less than a generation
No Black Rifles for you all
Sooner rather than later

Donald Trump won Arizona with a margin of 3.5%, a reduced margin from Mitt Romney's 9.03% margin in 2012.

You all are ****ed

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
15,616 Posts
Basically looking for a rifle, I can schlep right across NA, from Texas, California, Detroit, and North right up to Alert.

The Hunter is interesting, but I believe that it wouldn't be legal in Canada, as Canada prohibited AK rifles and restricted AR rifles after the Oka stand off. Not sure if it would fly in California either. IIRC there is some kind of law about detachable mags, but might be more applicable to guns that the state defines as "assaulty". If I remember right, there is a mag size limit too.

The rifle I'm after should be capable, relatively easy to mount a scope on, hardly draw a second look if I end up on foot with it, and be an "almost everywhere compliant gun" if looked at with more scrutiny.
Like many other members here, I lived in the peoples Republic of California for 32 yrs. When I moved there in 1983, the place was heaven for shooters, hunters, and gunowners. California was the home of Roy Weatherby, Bowers Reloading, and the Great Western Gun Show.

Only six yrs later, some nut with a semi auto AK rifle murdered some kids in a schoolyard in Stockton, Ca. In response, they outlawed all scary assault rifles in 1989, then started building a list of licensed owers. Now you need permision to buy a box of 22 rimfire.

I have hope for the rest of the country, especially for conservative red states, but one possible future is the Dems will sweep the elections and outlaw everything with a pistol grip and a detachable mag.

Owning a decent semi auto rifle that does not look scary is just prudent planning.

·
Registered
34,350 Posts

Sks with original 10 round mag
SKS para (10)
M1
M1 tanker

M1A with 10 round mags will work in some of that, but not sure about all.

·
Semper Fi
8,661 Posts
Unfortunately your State will be bright blue in short order, less than a generation
No Black Rifles for you all
Sooner rather than later

Donald Trump won Arizona with a margin of 3.5%, a reduced margin from Mitt Romney's 9.03% margin in 2012.

You all are ****ed
Possibly and that is something that does give me pause however pretty much every state with a growing urban population is headed blue as demographics change. Also once TX (or a few other key states) are lost it really doesn't matter whether your state is blue or red as the country will be blue.

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
My thoughts are toward the Ruger mini 30 [ as in the same round for the SKS 7.62 X 39 ].

You can get 5,10,20,and even larger magazines for her.

They come in blue & stainless too.

And they look VERY low profile [ not scary ].

btw = I own 2 and neither has EVER given me an issue with ANY ammunition.

Approx 1000 rounds through both.

61 - 80 of 119 Posts