Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Wearing fur underwears...
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at picking up another new/old semi auto rifle. Kind of a general "trouble" gun, and hunting rifle. The parameters are, that it needs to be reliable first, have reasonable "hunting accuracy", be kind of quick, or at least not too inconvenient to load, and be durable.

Have it down to about to 3-ish rifles. Have had an SKS, and don't mind the rifle, though they don't have a great rep for accuracy. I can hand load which helps, but mounting a scope is a challenge.

A Remington 750. The old gun had some durability issues, and wasn't known for reliability, though the new version in the 750 is supposed to have fixed those issues.

An older Browning BAR steel receiver gun. Have heard some conflicting reports on reliability but I gather the old guns when kept clean were pretty decent.

The latter 2 would either be in .308, or 30-06. The conversation isn't about battle rifles, but something that lets me have a few quick follow up shots that I can bet my hide on. Kind of focusing on these few "non scary lookin'" guns to kind of keep a low profile.

Thoughts and experience welcome.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I don't own one, but a Remington 742 should fit that bill too. I see them come up for sale fairly frequently in my area.

I also second that a lever gun is a good option. You can pick up a Winchester 94 in 30-30 for less than $400 around here. I bought a brand new one in box from 1992 a while back for $300. I know, not semi, but close.

·
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Benelli R1
Probably the best choice, but the styling and plastic stock could be a little Fuddlier for my taste and what I'm looking for.

And to be honest, the price is pretty high on them too. I could probably just about pick up one of each of my other choices for the price of one R1.

·
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's called a 30-30 lever action.
I like the cut of your jib!

Have a few levers around, but can't seem to hang onto a 30-30. I decided that I'd much rather have a .35 and plan on keeping that around.

But would like to add another semi to the mix. I love my levers though!:thumb:

·
μολὼν λαβ
3,294 Posts
Probably the best choice, but the styling and plastic stock could be a little Fuddlier for my taste and what I'm looking for.

And to be honest, the price is pretty high on them too. I could probably just about pick up one of each of my other choices for the price of one R1.
buy once - cry once

they make them in wood and they are less expensive than poly stocked ones.

·
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't own one, but a Remington 742 should fit that bill too. I see them come up for sale fairly frequently in my area.

I also second that a lever gun is a good option. You can pick up a Winchester 94 in 30-30 for less than $400 around here. I bought a brand new one in box from 1992 a while back for $300. I know, not semi, but close.
I believe the 742 had issues chewing up the locking lugs and recievers IIRC like the 740.

I agree that the lever is a great choice (check my handle!), but just not what I'm looking for right now. Got lots of levers. A pump would be cool too, but again, just looking to add to my collection a bit.

·
2,501 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
all semi auto hunting rifles look funky.

Browning BAR MK III Hells Canyon Speed is the best looking IMHO

I like the Hell's Canyon guns. Out of all the semi auto guns, I think the Browning Safaris are one of the better looking guns. I also like the old HK rifles, and Swiss Arms.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I'd go with the SKS.

This is an option. It is a CAI gun but it is built by PTR with their receiver and barrel and they do any warranty work if needed.

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/products/c308-classic-rifle-ri3320x

$699, I bought one used but brand new locally for $500 with a bunch of magazines. Also a guy on AKfiles marketplace sells 22 magazines for $60 shipped.

With the wood it looks not as "scary".

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
14,026 Posts
In an era of $400 AR15s, $10 magazines, and 30 cent ammo, there simply is no other choice.

Period.

I've criticized the DI system, and I do prefer a piston design. But to the ARs credit it has done a pretty good job proving itself, and, did I mention price?

Four hundred dollars. Ten dollar mags. All day long. There might have been a better choice when they were $1000 and AKs were $300 but it's totally reversed itself.

Four hundred dollars! Certainly as cheap as any good SKS. Worlds better than a old deer rifle for the task. It is a no-brainer.

The Cetme is heavy, clunky, and while I love the caliber, Cetmes are poor quality and not particularly accurate. Mags are dirt cheap though. They can be made into good rifles, but it's going to take work.

M1 Carbines are $1000 for a good example. Parts are scarce. Caliber is akin to a .357. It's a good light short range carbine. Original mags are expensive and of questionable reliability. The Korean short mags are supposedly good and affordable. Ammo can get pricey. The AR is a better choice in every respect. If not AR, for that cash, I'd go AK; a good example is about $800 ish.

Lever guns suffer from only non-spitzer bullets, limited range, and far slower than semi-autos. It's 1800s technology. You can fire off probably 3 AR mags before you could fire off a full lever gun tube and reload it. It's like horse and buggy versus a modern sports car. And, cost. I own several lever guns. They ain't cheaper for the rifle or the ammo than an AR.

And the reason rate of fire is important is that other people shoot back, and may not have hamstrung themselves with antiquated lever guns. They might be dumping mags at you while you fumble to cock your lever gun or reload 1 bullet at a time from your leather gun belt. lol.

{Outside funky local or state laws banning ARs, etc. but those will probably also include other semi-autos so it's a mooted point.}

1 - 20 of 119 Posts