Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered some NHMTG magazines, which are supposed to be brand new. But when the magazines arrived the finish is slightly wore where the magazine is inserted into the magazine well.

I read that NHMTG test all of their magazines to make sure they function, so maybe the wear is from testing?

The baseplate has no marks like what would be caused from the magazine falling free.

The baseplate retaining lugs show no wear like what would be caused by the magazine hitting the ground.

I am used to pmags and my D&H magazines having no signs of wear. So I was a little surprised when I saw these NHMTG magazines.

·
Registered
10,009 Posts
I ordered some NHMTG magazines, which are supposed to be brand new. But when the magazines arrived the finish is slightly wore where the magazine is inserted into the magazine well.

I read that NHMTG test all of their magazines to make sure they function, so maybe the wear is from testing?

The baseplate has no marks like what would be caused from the magazine falling free.

The baseplate retaining lugs show no wear like what would be caused by the magazine hitting the ground.

I am used to pmags and my D&H magazines having no signs of wear. So I was a little surprised when I saw these NHMTG magazines.
This is how they should look:

The finish wears very easily. It's normal.

·
Registered
163 Posts

NHMTG uses a dry-film finish on their mags so it will show wear on the finish, D&H uses Teflon on their mags and take awhile to show wear. Here is the note regarding that on 44mag.com's description: The magazines are brand new straight from the factory, however, like any dry film finish magazine the finish will show wear from production, testing, and shipping. This finish wear does not affect the functioning of the magazine.

I use the black Teflon-finished D&Hs and my uncle has some of the NHMTG's and it looks to be just finish wear due to their testing and shipping. If you bought from a reputable dealer/vendor, I wouldn't question their new status.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,524 Posts
A lot of mags show wear in the finish like that from being carted around in the factory in large bins, being dumped into the packing machine hoppers, etc. USGI from Center Industries looks just like that brand new out of the case. I've had people at gun shows accuse me of selling used mags. Then call me a liar for trying to explain it. Yet I buy them brand new in cases of 100, so I know for a fact that they're not used.

·
Registered
402 Posts
How do they work?
I've never had a problem with them, they are heavier and more expensive than some alternatives, so I do not stock them very deep.

As others have written, the finish wears very very quickly, but that doesn't affect their utility.

I tend to put specialty rounds in them, such as 77 grain HPBT to distinguish the mag from something like a 62 grain Green tip.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I've never had a problem with them, they are heavier and more expensive than some alternatives, so I do not stock them very deep.

As others have written, the finish wears very very quickly, but that doesn't affect their utility.

I tend to put specialty rounds in them, such as 77 grain HPBT to distinguish the mag from something like a 62 grain Green tip.
I have a few myself and have been impressed with them. The finish/aesthetics of a mag doesn't do much for me as they inevitably get worn from rubbing up against each other in my carrier or during use. I really prefer mags that I have used to mags that I haven't.

·
Registered
10,009 Posts

Compared to what? USGI is pretty light...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts