Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Prepared Gourmet
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The following article talks about a new agent - called bisin - that helps to reduce spoilage in many fresh foods. It is apparently closely related to something called 'nisin' (see quote below the article link) that apparently is used to keep processed cheeses from spoiling for decades.

My comment is: Since it is a 'natural agent', depending on how this is used, one can 'assume' perhaps that it is not a GMO modification or equivalent (?) and may indeed be safe and be very useful to us in our food storage aspirations.

My question is: Does anyone know any processed cheese that currently can be kept for 'decades'? Unless they are talking about canned cheeses, this was a new one on me.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/08/14/us-scientists-discover-natural-agent-that-kills-bacteria-in-food/?intcmp=obnetwork

Because bisin is chemically related to nisin, which is used to keep processed cheese sterile and edible for decades, it does not need to be pharmaceutically tested and could be on the market within a year.

·
Blessed
631 Posts
I wonder how much they will raise the prices on food once it's implimented. The longer your food lasts the less you'll buy items meaning higher prices? I assume in my opinion.

·
Prepared Gourmet
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suppose that could be an outcome of this 'additive' being introduced commercially, however, food prices are a) rising so quickly right now I am not sure we will know whether another rise can be attributed to bisin b) I guess waste reduction would amount to us not needing quite as much food but we will still continue to eat and I suspect many will not buy that much less and c) one would think that if grocery stores didn't lose so much to waste before it could be bought or had to be reduced in price that the price would either stay the same or perhaps even go down with the increased shelf life, pre-purchase.

Does anyone know (to re-iterate) what cheeses contain nisin right now and can therefore last for decades?

·
Registered
403 Posts
I saw the article earlier today at work. Until it's actually put to use I would not hold my breath. The reason is that it smacks of researchers hunting out grant money and news services picked it up as a "human interest" story. Happens all the time. Would be nice though.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
I'm not so much worried about the food's longevity as much as i am about it being clean and healthy. Call me crazy. Plus if I have no electricity, it better make magic too.

·
I am the .000000317%
416 Posts
But you know, if people start taking an interest in this "natural" agent, someone's going to figure out how to synthetically make it (MSGs anyone?) using who knows what chemicals.

Still, if the claims are true this could have a very practical use in the future.

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
Natural huh? A Lot of Natural things are BAD for you... Wonder what the effects on a person would be using this stuff.. what is the LONG TERM effect this would have...
How many WONDER drugs or WONDER chemicals have turned out to cause problems

·
Registered
315 Posts
I wonder how much they will raise the prices on food once it's implimented. The longer your food lasts the less you'll buy items meaning higher prices? I assume in my opinion.
It does not mean you will eat less, so why would your food last any longer:) Now if they can make it last for decades in your stomach, well then:thumb:

·
Prepared Gourmet
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, Daisy. They expanded on the details quite a bit. :)

I would still like to know what processed cheese they are talking about which is presumably already on the market which, with the addition of bisin's cousin, nisin, already lasts for 'decades' according to these articles.

I am just trying to figure out if I can get some (or if it is nasty stuff and I don't want to get some). All I can think of is - canned cheese which may be a possibility, that horrid plastic jarred grated might-be-real-parmesan stuff, or Cheez Whiz. But I don't think any of those are touted to last for 'decades', are they?

Edit: I found the answer - it is the cheese powder we buy in cans already. The preservative is nisin. Dang .. was hoping for something that is a bit 'fresher' tasting. Wonder how those ground up sandwiches in a can are going to taste? lol

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,572 Posts
It makes me wonder what it's effects on the body's natural bacteria will be.

I just did a quick google on nisin and cheese. Apparently it's a natural byproduct of the lacto bacteria in the cheese. Probably why a wheel of cheese can last decades. I think perhaps the article mentioning processed cheeses confused the issue.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
Know nothing about either, but sounds promising.
Promising? I'd need to see some very specific research. We cannot survive without billions of bacteria in our gut. Two thirds of what you leave in the toilet is bacteria. Without it we die. If our internal garden is compromised we get all kinds of diseases, internally and exterally. The bacteria in our gut is as important to survival as our heart, it's also 80% of our immune function. And this bacteriacide promises to inhibit bacteria for years. And it does not have to be tested. And they can put it in the food supply without ever proving it is safe. Ponder that for a moment. They do not have to prove it is safe and they can put it in the food supply whenever they want without labeling.

I am not an alarmist. I am not given to extremes. I am not 2012er or a conspiraciy theorist or NWO or 911 or any of that nescient rabble. But this is potentially far more destructive than trans fats, GMOs, even disease itself. If this were announced by an Islamic nation I would fear for our safety. As is the molecular biologist who discovered it (University of Minnesota) makes the leap that it is safe because it is natural. Cyanide is natural. Let's put it in the food supply and sees what happens.

I love science, and I am on the side of thinking that involves two feet firmly planted in reality. Evidentiary standards and critical thinking are my thing. And this scares me. GMOs don't scare me anywhere near as much.

What they need to do, and probably won't, is prove it works only on harmful bacteria. I can hear the argument now: The bacteria won't survive the acidic environment of the stomach... Exactly what they said about chemicals in GMOs. They were oh so wrong.

These folks do not have a good track record. Cancer-causing food additives, artery-damaging trans fats, insulin-spiking high fructos corn syrup, rampant type II diabetes, rampant obesity, and a government food recommendation that is exactly reverse of what it should be. And now something that can kill off the stuff that keeps us alive being view like child's play 'cause it natural.

To be utterly frank, I cannot express what a severe threat this can be. In my entire adult life --which unfortunately is many decades -- I have not heard of a more potentially misguided use of science.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts