Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
FO
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's another thread about the SPX, thought I'd start a new one about the one I just picked up. Lots of info out there about problems with the early versions, mentioned that a friend had picked one up and we had a blast with it, no quality issues, no failures. Bought one to compliment my 870. I was set on a FN SLP or (dreaming) a Benelli M4, this one is going to have to do at half the price, I'll give it a go. My friend's 930 seems to send copious amounts of lead down range with a vigor.

In the end, I may still "cash in" one of those Gold Eagles to fund the M4. I've had the opportunity to work one and loved it. Everything else will always feel like a compromise.

Received the 930 SPX on Friday. I opted for the non-pistol grip stock, due to the location of the Mossberg safety. Options will be limited, gonna keep this one simple. Nordic makes a nice clamp/rail for a light, that's about all that's going to be added. I'll stick a TRL-1 on it with a tape switch.

No issues spotted with this 3rd generation version, good sights, newer heavy barrel, etc. Took it down and gave it a good cleaning, lots of typical factory **** in there.

I checked it over for any of the issues documented by many in the past, found none.

Only negative I can see so far, the finish is typical of lower cost fighting shotty's. That's to say pretty weak. It's not going to look pretty after a couple events. It came with a mark or two out of the box. I'll abuse it then possibly get it refinished some day. Might look good in a nice FDE cerakote w/ some rattle can camo over it.

I've got a wide variety of loads to put through it (hopefully in the am), from quality slugs to bulk low brass target loads. Will report back tomorrow assuming I get out to break it in.

·
FO
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)

·
FO
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, so my gun dealer bud (the SPX owner) convinced me to test drive a Primary Arms "Micro green Dot Reflex" sight... should be here before the weekend, will toss up some comments on that as well. Since I use an EOTech on my AR, maybe I'll like it. I can tell ya now, the fiber front site at night/low light is useless, I'd rather have a big ol' white bead.

·
Www.preparedham.com
1,829 Posts
I have the 930 SPX and a 590 A1 SPX w/ bayonet and love them both. Watchdog and I went to the range this weekend and I let him shoot both. Now he wants the 930 SPX :D:

·
FO
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Perfect.

I've read about the need to clean the new shotty before shooting it. I do that with any new weapon anyway.

I've read to "break it in" so it will cycle light loads. Did NOT. Most suggest running a bunch of full power/buck/slugs before attempting low brass target loads.

I started with bulk wally world federal 7 1/2. 32 shells shot, zero failures.
Next, 16 Noble Sport LE "00" , zero failures
Next 16 Fed Tactical (FliteControl) "00" . zero failures (awesome pattern at 10 yards)
Next, 8 Federal "sluggers", rifled slugs. zero failures.
Last 8, misc #4, no failures.

Nothing I shot was "reduced recoil". Will buy some for the next outing and comment if needed. Need to get out to a friend's property to have some fun, too many rules at the range, example, I couldn't perform a mag dump.

Sites were dead on at 25 yards with slugs.
Micro dot is great, never considered one for a shotty, but with old guy eyes, it's quite useful. I simply zero'd it with the irons, it was dead on and stayed there.

I'm happy with the purchase, would buy it again. It ran awesome, handled well and eats a lot of recoil. I'll never be without a pump, but man, this auto loader is a lot more fun, less painful to shoot.

Pic of the PA Micro ... co-witnessed with the irons

Nordic clamp/rail with TLR-1

1 - 9 of 9 Posts