Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have a good cb in my bov/offroad vehicle, but I would like to put a better unit in for range/features...

I know ham radios are much better, and I have no problem putting in for a license,,, so here is what I am looking for...

Access to weather channels, as the weather here in wyoming switches on a dime. Cb access would be good, as that is what the offroad club here uses. Finally, good broadband access for shtf.

I know that 10 meter radio's can be modded to also rx/tx cb freqs. Some friends of mine have suggested tri-band ham mobiles...

Any suggestions, or do I need to run two radio setups...

thanks in advance

·
Registered
725 Posts
Ok, I have a good cb in my bov/offroad vehicle, but I would like to put a better unit in for range/features...

I know ham radios are much better, and I have no problem putting in for a license,,, so here is what I am looking for...

Access to weather channels, as the weather here in wyoming switches on a dime. Cb access would be good, as that is what the offroad club here uses. Finally, good broadband access for shtf.

I know that 10 meter radio's can be modded to also rx/tx cb freqs. Some friends of mine have suggested tri-band ham mobiles...

Any suggestions, or do I need to run two radio setups...

thanks in advance

The tri-band (2m, 70cm, etc.) units won't do you much good unless you can access repeaters; they aren't for long-range communications. For the long-range communications, you will need to use the HF frequencies.

Actually, you don't exactly "put in" for a ham license - you have to pass a test for each class of license. When you start talking about converting radios, you get into legal quesions. Most hams don't go there. :taped:

My suggestion would be to get a CB that will also receive the weather channels. Then you can get a portable multiband receiver like the Grundig Traveler to receive the shortwave signals. :thumb:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts