Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
I stand alone!
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like Ruger is really getting aggressive with the Mini line up.... Ruger has just announced the Mini-30 Tactical. Looks pretty sweet! The barrel looks to be even heavier than my 581 carbine has :thumb:

I snipped these statements from a Ruger email from another forum

The Mini Thirty® Tactical Rifle
Announcing a new model of the simple, rugged and reliable Mini Thirty® Rifle, the Mini Thirty Tactical Rifle. Like all Ruger® Mini Thirty rifles, which have been extremely popular since first introduced in 1991, the Mini Thirty Tactical allows shooters to fire the 7.62 X 39 round in an affordable, quality, American-made auto-loading rifle. The Mini Thirty Tactical has a blued 16-1/8" barrel with flash suppressor and comes with a black synthetic stock. The rifle weighs approximately 6.75 pounds, has an overall length of 37.5 inches, and is shipped with one 20-round magazine. The sighting system on the Mini Thirty Tactical includes an adjustable "ghost ring" aperture rear sight and a protected, non-glare post front sight. Patented Ruger scope bases are machined directly into the receiver and can never shoot loose. A set of Ruger scope rings is included at no charge with each rifle. Side ejection of cartridge cases easily clears the lowest-mounted optics, and a patented recoil buffer helps protect optics from damage from repeated firing. HEAVY, HAMMER-FORGED BARREL for extra rigidity and accuracy.

Interesting.... Very interesting I have to say, I like how Ruger is getting aggressive with the Mini line up. My 581 M-30 and Ruger's 20 mags have been nothing but aces!
I think Ruger is starting to make a statement..... Something like "Our Carbine will compete with anything out!"

Attachments

·
Registered
313 Posts
Always wanted a Ruger, but never bit. I guess what kept me from getting one was the extra mags, rare, expensive, and only held 20 rds. It wasn't until recently that Ruger started making the 30 rders available. Old man Ruger, bless his bones, was not in to high cap or tactical anything.

The mini 30 was a niche market that I am glad flourished, as it helped usher in boatloads of cheap 7.62 ammo in the 80s before the mass waves of AKs hit the market.

Ruger minis remain one of the most easy to point and shoot. I love my ARs, but minis are still king of ease and pointability.

·
Tuefel Hunden
1,572 Posts
Great rifles and they perform really well and are Ruger tough! Great if you dont want a new Saiga or Chinese or Eastern Block surplus battle rifle and want the 7.62x39 cartridge advantages.

·
I stand alone!
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have always loved the Ruger Mini series of rifles and it does seem that ruger is getting more involved with current demand of tactical type rifles than years ago. Gotta love that rolling bolt action!
I agree! The Garand action is where its at :thumb:
Always wanted a Ruger, but never bit. I guess what kept me from getting one was the extra mags, rare, expensive, and only held 20 rds. It wasn't until recently that Ruger started making the 30 rders available. Old man Ruger, bless his bones, was not in to high cap or tactical anything.

The mini 30 was a niche market that I am glad flourished, as it helped usher in boatloads of cheap 7.62 ammo in the 80s before the mass waves of AKs hit the market.

Ruger minis remain one of the most easy to point and shoot. I love my ARs, but minis are still king of ease and pointability.
One of the reasons I love my Mini-30 so much is because it points so well, so fast. You just get on target so quick....
The Ruger factory mags are expensive but you can find them on sale from time to time. I got my 20rders for 24.99. For a factory Ruger mag I think thats a pretty darn good deal!
Great rifles and they perform really well and are Ruger tough! Great if you dont want a new Saiga or Chinese or Eastern Block surplus battle rifle and want the 7.62x39 cartridge advantages.
Ruger tough :thumb: I love that! I have not had one FTF, FTE, mag issue, or any kind of reliability issue at all.
I wouldn't own a AK, SKS, or Saiga over the M-30. They are good guns but the Ruger beats them all :D:

·
Armed Border Collie
5,901 Posts
I am going to sound like a Ruger P.R. guy here, but I must say this. I am a big Garand action fan who owns an Springfield M1A and a Mini-14. I shoot both alot. I have shot a friend's Mini-30 and that is an excellent carbine that shoots a fine round. I would like to own one someday, but for some reason I can't just get everything I want. (What's up with that).

I also own 2 Ruger semi-autos, a P-89 and a SR9.

A few years ago I was at the range with my mini and I had a casing blow up in the chamber. I couldn't extract it, nor could my gunsmith. He sent it to Ruger. Two weeks later I received the rifle back. They had fully refurbished the rifle including touching up the bluing from the several thousand rounds I had put through it. All at no charge, plus they paid for my original shipping. A small note stated that the ammo I was using was suspect and I may wish to change brands. Years later it still put the rounds down range as fast as I can squeeze the trigger.

·
Proverbs 26:4
2,112 Posts
Thanks for heads up on this CZ.
Didn't you ask or wonder in another thread if Ruger would make a tactical 30? As I recall someone scoffed at the idea.

I've read you can use any stock that fits a mini 14 on a 30 for those that want a folding stock and some rails.

I too love the mini line but at the cost they want I can get a top notch Arsenal for less $$$ - But then again there are some cross-over parts between the 14 and 30 which fits into my double down philosophy of having backups.

That barrel does look significantly better and I like the flash suppressor too.

·
I stand alone!
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for heads up on this CZ.
Didn't you ask or wonder in another thread if Ruger would make a tactical 30? As I recall someone scoffed at the idea.

I've read you can use any stock that fits a mini 14 on a 30 for those that want a folding stock and some rails.

I too love the mini line but at the cost they want I can get a top notch Arsenal for less $$$ - But then again there are some cross-over parts between the 14 and 30 which fits into my double down philosophy of having backups.

That barrel does look significantly better and I like the flash suppressor too.
Earlier this year I did post on if Ruger would make a Tactical Mini-30. I was going to buy one and really liked how fast the Tac Mini-14 was....
I ended up with the Ranch and truth be told I would buy the Ranch over the Tac if bought again. Now that I have it it is LOVE :D: I really do like the 18" bbl though
Diddy, you are definitely right about being able to buy a AK for 2/3rds the price but as you know the new Minis are a bunch better! I would save a little more and get the Mini-30. If for one reason alone, you can mount a precision optic on it with ease. Dkac2 on perfect union has his Mini shooting under an inch!

·
2,112 Posts
CZ,
Do you notice a difference in groups with the 18" bbl over the 16"? If I ever get another mini 14 perhaps I'll get the 18".

I've gone back and forth for a long time between getting a mini 30 or an Arsenal SGL21. They are pretty much the same price but I've heard all good about the SGL21, accuracy included. I think reliability is even. I won't be making this purchase for some time so I'll keep researching until that day arrives.

I'm not overly concerned about precision optics for the x39 round. Strictly would be a self defense in the worst of situations. To me it is the perfect red dot round.

...I'm not surprised Dkac2 has his shooting 1moa. He seems very knowledgeable and gets the most out of his mini.

·
I stand alone!
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Diddy, I only have the 18" carbine. I really can't say about a 16" one. There are some that say the shorted barrell helps to stiffen but I don't but it....
The difference between 16" and 18" when it comes to barrel vibration in negligible but the 2" will kill 100 fps...
I'll take the velocity over the flash hider :D:

·
Banned
6,705 Posts
I am currently on my second Mini thirty. Absolutely love them. Very durable. Kills everything it is pointed at. This current one is stainless with the 18" barrel. The Mini 14 is very good also. Have owned many of those. Never a problem under any condition. The Mini thirty is my favorite of the two because of the larger bullet..

·
2,112 Posts
which one?

So, with price and reliability being the same - which is the better choice and why?

A Mini 30 or an Arsenal SGL21?

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I may get a mini-30 soon - saving money and hope to find one like yours

I have an older mini14 and just found a new in box NRA model - love the NRA model - shorter heavy barrel.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I have always liked the Ruger minis. I don't have any experience with the mini 30's though. How are they as far as accuracy? And will they handle Eastern block surplus ammo okay? I know that there is a bullet diameter difference between the American made 7.62 x 39 and the European ammo. The difference being .308 vs. .311 bullets. Also, does anyone know if they plan on coming out with a folding stock version?

·
Registered
313 Posts
I may get a mini-30 soon - saving money and hope to find one like yours

I have an older mini14 and just found a new in box NRA model - love the NRA model - shorter heavy barrel.
If they made a mini 30 NRA model, I'd bite. All minis point and carry well, but the NRA tops them all.

No other rifle from any maker, whether bolt, semi, pump, or single shot points as well as the NRA for me. That carbine was pure fingerlicious when it comes to shouldering and firing.

·
Registered
313 Posts
So, with price and reliability being the same - which is the better choice and why?

CDNN usually has great prices on minis ranging from $578 to 699. I don't know how much they charge for a mini 30, but a standard mini was $578 a few months ago. This is even better than Bud's, which, BTW is also a great outfit.

With over a decade shooting Arsenals, I've never had a problem. They are super accurate all day long, even after 400 rounds in one sitting. I love Minis, but the older ones tend to get hot after one or two mags and the groupings open up. Perhaps someone with a newer Mini can chime in and tell you whether or not the newer, heavier barrels fixed this problem. I hope so, Minis are a great platform, and I see myself getting one in the future.

·
I stand alone!
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Well, I think it comes down to personal ergonomics, preferences and trade-offs. The Mini will do anything the Arsenal will do but it will do it more accurately. The Arsenal can use higher capacity magazines so if your worried about a zombie rush maybe its the tool for you :D:
I'll take the Mini with precision optics that will more than make up for the loss in the mag department. Remember, as in hunting, in combat accuracy is EVERYTHING!
AND, and its made in the USA so I have the satisfaction of knowing I supported a great US gun company that is trying really hard right now to please us :thumb:
I have always liked the Ruger minis. I don't have any experience with the mini 30's though. How are they as far as accuracy? And will they handle Eastern block surplus ammo okay? I know that there is a bullet diameter difference between the American made 7.62 x 39 and the European ammo. The difference being .308 vs. .311 bullets. Also, does anyone know if they plan on coming out with a folding stock version?
All the US ammo makers now make their x39 ammo with .311 bullets and all newer Minis have a .311 barrel.
Having said that, the Mini-30 does not like eastern block, steel cased, berdan primed ammunition. The Mini-30 was designed to shoot brass cased, boxer primed ammo and one should stick to it. Mixed reviews on steel cased stuff while 100% with brass cased stuff...
CDNN usually has great prices on minis ranging from $578 to 699. I don't know how much they charge for a mini 30, but a standard mini was $578 a few months ago. This is even better than Bud's, which, BTW is also a great outfit.

With over a decade shooting Arsenals, I've never had a problem. They are super accurate all day long, even after 400 rounds in one sitting. I love Minis, but the older ones tend to get hot after one or two mags and the groupings open up. Perhaps someone with a newer Mini can chime in and tell you whether or not the newer, heavier barrels fixed this problem. I hope so, Minis are a great platform, and I see myself getting one in the future.
I don't purposely try to hurt my barrel by shooting it until its red hot but I have cooked off close to a hundred rounds in very quick succession and I do not get stringing or opened groups. When they do open its because I'm pulling the trigger to fast to settle the sights :D:

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
SGL or Mini 30? SGL wins by a landslide.

$9 magazines vs $30.
Case of 1000rds of ammo - Russian Steel Cased ($3.50 a box) = $175.
Case of 1000rds of ammo - American brass cased ($10 a box if you are lucky) = $500

A non-chrome lined 7.62x39 rifle that doesn't feed eastern european ammo (Wolf, Golden Tiger, Golden Bear, etc) IMHO, is worthless.

Accuracy - you're going to have a tie. Accuracy on the Ruger Mini 14/30 line has historically been horrible when compared to AK's even bottom of the barrel Wasr's. Supposedly Ruger finally replaced their tooling.

I'd like to add a new Mini to my collection (6 AK's , 1 AR, 1 M1A). My previous experience with them was horrible. If I could only have 1 - No question it would be a SGL.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts