Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 267 Posts

·
reluctant sinner
21,193 Posts
I think I was about 10 and a neighbor was moving away. He offered to sell me a really nice 7.7 and 6.5 Jap. Matching #'s, Mum, nice wood and even the toad stabber for $5 each. Dad wouldn't let me buy them - "We have nicer rifles to shoot at home" I remember him selling 1911's in a 50 cal ammo can with the pistol and filled with ball ammo for $25.

·
What hell, pay attention
9,238 Posts
The prices are what they are and what the market will bear, and these days, $1300 for an "average" Carbine is about the norm, and even on the low side.

A quick check on Gun Broker and you'll see a lot of them are going for closer to $2K and more.

·
Old Soldier
5,611 Posts
Those M1 are cool but why buy them for that price right. You can get a really quality AR for that price. If you go up to 2K then you can get a brand new Geissele super duty rifle for that price or just about any other higher end AR.
Some people collect military surplus weapons, such as myself.
The $268 I paid for my M1 Garand in 1973 would be worth more than $1000 in today’s dollars.
The US government will never make any more M1’s and every one makes an AR.

·
Registered
6,482 Posts
Understand folks.

In my collection at one point I had an original issued 03-A3, 1911, and M1 Garand that were actual battle rifles.

Life as it is, they went away.

I would love to be able to play that game, but prices are artificially high and as some say, why go through the process of a $1500 M1 when I can get an AR platform for under $600.

·
Registered
17,216 Posts
An 8-round clip of AP from a Garand will chew a hole through 6 inches of solid masonry that you can drop a grenade through to clear a basement. Takes 100 rounds of 5.56 to do that.
ppfffttttttt. No it doesn't.
But it DOES take more than 8, I'll admit that.

But back on subject....I do appreciate walnut (and other woods) and steel.

·
Registered
779 Posts
What about milsurp gear and equipment other than weapons? Last few times I looked that seems to have largely dried up.
It does seem to have dried up. Back in the early 2000's as in before 2010, I had a C&R license. Nearly every mil-surp rifle you ordered, came with an ammo pouch, sling, cleaning kit and often a bayonet. Prices were awesome. $125 for an "unissued" (really arsenal refinish, most likely) Yugo SKS with all the fixin's, Mosin Nagants for $70 with all the equipment, CZ52 pistols with the holster and lanyard and an extra mag all for just under $100. Now you see those same rifles or pistols sans any equipment only on Gunbroker or at the shows with no equipment at all. You have to buy that stuff all separate, if you can even find it.

Even on military surplus sights, the stuff is often "military style". Not really the real thing. Yet everyone knocks true military surplus gear as being "just the cheapest stuff the government could get a contract on".

The days of plentiful and cheap military surplus gear are over, I think.

1 - 20 of 267 Posts