Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My thoughts are probably shaded by the fact that I grew up there and understand the environment and resources in the area well. Northern New Mexico is one are where survival locations would be easy to start and maintain. For one the cost of land in most of these areas is below the national average because, well who wants to move TO New Mexico. Second low population density, and adverse terrain make it hard for the bad guys to get to you and easier to secure. The only draw back is water. Water is the axis of life in NM. However in the northern areas it really isn't that hard to come by. There are lakes (manmade and natural), streams, springs, and in areas that require pumps the aquifers are plentiful. The only areas this is not true for are Albuquerque and Santa Fe. Area's like Las Vegas are rural farming land that has for the most part gone fallow. For one reason, water rights for irrigating. But in a SHTF time no one is gonna be checking your irrigation meter. =). The abundance of game in the Jemez mountains for instance is one of the largest herds of elk in the country. The mule deer, whitetail, wild horses, rabbits, fish and, nutrient rich soil make it an ideal area for self sustaining you and your group. Add to this that solar panels and wind generators are particularly productive and you could go off the grid easily. Now many folks on here will first ask "Wait New Mexico is another country right?" These people are idiots and I have no time for them. Others will say "Deer? In the desert?" These people are misguided and should actually do some research. For those of you who don't think that all brown people are some subhuman species, you will be able to see that when everyone was starving to death in Roanoke and Jamestown there were universities, churches, and trade centers throughout NM. Do some research and respond back with other such locations that people may have misconceptions of. For my money NM would be a way better location than WA(where I currently live) if for no other reason than the population density would help ensure I didn't use up all my ammo in the first week keeping the zombies(unprepared) away.

·
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!
13,763 Posts
At one time, I figured if I ever wanted to be a mountain man, I'd go to Sierra Blanca and the foothills that surround it

Since then I've changed my mind and decided Sangre de Cristo range would be where I'd like to go.

Some of the old mines around Red River or Questa might make a great place to live in a worst case scenario

·
Registered
542 Posts
Land of Enchantment......
Or land that time forgot?
I have seen much of northern NM- its a great place to slow down and slip under the radar.
But, I do like my lakes and rivers here at (my) home.
New Mexico is a very scenic place and I think it would be a great BOL.
And, you have Los Alamos labs, to balance out the geekiness factor.....;)

·
Registered
876 Posts
SE New Mexico has lots of jobs in the gas and oil industry. It is more conservative or should I say not Democratic.

Crack is a problem in the area but it is everywhere. Roswell has gang problems but gangs don't go out to the remote areas.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
I spent my first couple of years in the military patrolling the weapon storage area in the Manzano Mountains. If the military were ever to disintegrate during a long term SHTF situation, the bunkers and tunnels in that place would make a wonderful bug out location.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just drove through Northern NM yesterday. Saw at least a dozen herd of pronghorns between Taos and Las Vegas, plus quite a few deer. If you have a location with water, it would be very sustainable. Jemez is closer to me, but I would prefer up north if given an option.

Just my .02... "Higgy"

·
Thinker
973 Posts
For relocating, it would be a good idea as long as you can find a place with readily available water. If you intend to stay in WA but are looking for a BOL, I think I'd stick closer to home, somewhere that is reachable within 4-8 hours driving or a few days on foot. Picking a closer BOL also has the advantage of being a weekend getaway (think weekend projects) and chances are, if you did need to bug out there, it would be there waiting for you (while a further away destination could end up being otherwise occupied by the time you get there).

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Northern New Mexico is one are where survival locations would be easy to start and maintain.
A lot of people in that area for the resources - Taos, Santa Fe, - Colorado to the north, Texas to the east with its large population.

There was a reason why the Sante Fe trail went through that area. SHTF you might want to open up a hotel/restaurant for all those passing by.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
No water means BAD BOL. Think a little more to the east. But again, you have to be able to get there. Me, I retired to my BOL. That is probably not an option for many yet. But keep it in mind when you can.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I also live in NM, this isn't a prime location for bug out. Water is defiantly a problem. The population density of Abq. and Santa Fe means all those people will head out of the cities in a bad situation.
Many areas of New Mexico have a very low population density, because there isn't water available and it's high desert.
We hope to move to a place more suited to primitive living someday.

·
Registered
124 Posts
No one wants to come to lake roberts djmartin, its my lake. Ha. besides, the fishing isnt good there right now.
New mexico should just stay forgotten, im selfish. I like the lack of people in my area. Southwest nm, in the mountains, 6000 ft elevation, lots of fury food running around.

·
Registered
124 Posts
And water didnt seem to be a problem for the apaches living in this area, just have to know where to look, i know all the natural springs a few miles walk from my house, its extremely dry certain parts of the year, but if your from here like me, you'll figure it out. Born and raised here, I will never leave this area, mining district of southwest new mexico.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts