Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! New to the site. I'm living in So. Cal and I'm here because I already have some basic hunker down type of skills and wanted to learn more. I believe that if something really happens, its up to me to provide for my family's safety and needs. I think things started with when my husband and I were full time RVrs for a while, which was great. It let me know creativity in your living can help you conserve, be prepared and figure things out to make a pretty good little life. Then when I had to begin again after my divorce, my kids and I had nothing but our clothes and thank goodness I had a job. Since then, I have purchased my own home outside of the city limits and made some improvements to the property, it was in a bad state. But Ibegan to think more about survival when I considered earthquakes and what I'd do in the even of a big one. I actually live on a fault line, which I know sounds kinda stupid but in fact, most of the west coast is on faultlines. I'm close to family though, and that counts for a lot when you have young children.

So I have a decent pantry at this time, for about a month.Now that the haouse is pretty livable and I have a pantry and a few survival strategies and ideas, I need to really develop a better, realistic plan and it needs to start moving from paper.

·
Wannabe Mountain Hermit
13,833 Posts
Howdy and welcome from southern Oklahoma. :)

If you are on a budget, check out the five dollar preps in the Urban survival forum and don't forget to check out the Ladies forum. Have fun.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Welcome from NE Oklahoma.

·
Registered
11,613 Posts
Howdy,

Welcome to the forum from Southeastern Kansas.

Things to ponder follow:

Have a BOL? (If needed)

Self-sufficient? Garden?

Own a rifle? Reload? Cast bullets? Hunt? Fish?

Homebrewing? Can food?

Practice permaculture? Gather wild foods?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
getting started

I have an excellent budget! This is my first skill. Im excellent buying much for less....deals.

Right now, I have been developing what I've been calling "man work or man skills". Things typically done by men. I've learned a lot on youtube on how to fix things in my house and how things work. So some wood work, some plumbing, fences.

My pantry is an excellent start I think. I know I have at least a months worth of food/water but no, its not sustainable with a garden or anything. Its desert here and I live on the side of a mtn. I honestly feel that if people fleed, they would go in a few directions:towards the bigger cities (am I right to think that?) that are to the south and west, or my way. There are springs that only the immediate locals know of for short term. So a BOL is something i've been thinking about. I know AZ, NM and CO pretty well, but AZ is one tank of gas out so...

have no guns but I think nI'm ready for them. I didn't grow up with them so I need to learn. Have NO clue yet what to get though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
local plants

oh, and I know a lot about some of the local plants that the indians used for food and medicines, so I think once food supplies run out, if I don't leave to a BOL, we will catch and collect local foods.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts