Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
Good clip (not that it will chang NObama's mind in any way).

·
Savage intellectual
1,866 Posts
I respectfully disagree with the soldier, and I don't think Obama holds the opinion the young man thinks he does. I'm not speaking for Obama though.

I have two family members who are/were active full time members in the Army for 20+ years each. Both have served multiple tours in Iraq. I honor their service, and have asked them directly what they think of the war in firsthand terms.

This war IS a mistake for two main reasons: First, it was launched on what is clearly fabricated evidence of WMD's and claim of a non-existent relationship between Al Qaeda and the government of Iraq. This war lost it's legal and moral footing, and cannot be supported based on lies.

Secondly the prosecution of the war has been a failure. There are too few troops to secure a country the size of California, and the military has not been given a clear definition form the civilian authority of what the objective is. A soldier fights for a goal, and with no clear defnition of "winning" is, the soldiers are simply trying to quell a civil war.

Also, the material support for soldiers has been poor for most of the war. Humvees had to be armored from junkpiles. Soldiers are having tours extended, having leaves cancelled, prevented from leaving when their contracts are up. I've heard all the trite justifications..it's contractual, etc... but the point is solders feel this country is not holding up its end of the contract.

Lastly, the treatment of soldiers who've been wounded has been a disgrace. Walter Reed was a glaring example if the disposeability of soldiers who aren't able to fight in Bush's war.

So yeah, if you want to point at a mistake, you can take your pick. Based on the Iraq War and McCain's plans to keep troops there 100 years if needed, I've decided to vote for Obama.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Straw man.

The war in Iraq started over a lie about WMDs and an "imminent threat to America." It had nothing to do with liberating foreigners (something that you people have no interest in doing in countries that don't have oil). It diverted our focus away from the real enemy in Afghanistan, and has allowed them to not only live, but to grow stronger. That means the fight will now be tougher in Afghanistan, when it should have already been over.

That's what you call a major strategic blunder, and those whose incompetence is responsible for it have proven themselves incapable of leading this country.

·
I am whatever I say I am
1,308 Posts
I can see paying the price for freedom of one's own country and countrymen. But paying the price to "liberate" the people of another country, an unfriendly one, especially if they did not even want us to be there to begin with? Sorry, not buying it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts