Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
zombie response team
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i live in arkansas, though the north west part but still within one of the states that the fault runs through, every one remembers the gret new madrid eartquake, it was the largest earthquake in US history. u know it made the MS river flow backwards, re routed it aswell. well i was just thinking last night i seen on the history channel a while back, where they were doing studies on sand pit/plooms what ever u wanna call em, and they determined it happens every 250 yrs or somewhere in that range, this mean we're getting close to time again? they were talking about re rengineering the I-40 AR, TN border to earthquake resistant bases n such. what do u guys think about the subject?

·
Time to hit reset
25,656 Posts
I think it poses a big threat because of the wide area that the fault line covers, and all of the large cities that are in the range. But like many disasters, its not a problem until its staring you right in the face.

My question is that I know building codes are different say California vs. Missouri or any other state in the New Madrid area, but how would these buildings hold up to a sizable quake? I know it wouldn't be like what we see in Haiti but would the damage be greater than a comparable quake in Cali?

Map World

I think its something that needs to be looked at, since it is an active fault line. And yes I saw the same show on the History Channel about the quake, some pretty scary stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1812_New_Madrid_earthquake

·
zombie response team
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it poses a big threat because of the wide area that the fault line covers, and all of the large cities that are in the range. But like many disasters, its not a problem until its staring you right in the face.

My question is that I know building codes are different say California vs. Missouri or any other state in the New Madrid area, but how would these buildings hold up to a sizable quake? I know it wouldn't be like what we see in Haiti but would the damage be greater than a comparable quake in Cali?

I think its something that needs to be looked at, since it is an active fault line. And yes I saw the same show on the History Channel about the quake, some pretty scary stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1812_New_Madrid_earthquake
they were tlking about this aswell, most of the memphis area buldings are brick, ADN WOULD NOT HOLD UP!!

·
The Power of III
1,365 Posts
Yea, Harbor Town, built on the sand of the MS River downtown, would fall right into the river. Craziest thing ever built, given the earthquake codes in West TN. Never could understand how anyone could sleep at night living there.

Reactions: Monique

·
Gone Galt
22,533 Posts
Well my math tells me 135 years to go if it blows every 250 years...

but

1. Scientists can be wrong - and are wrong almost every single time
2. Activity on a global scale could set that one off anytime I would guess

·
Time to hit reset
25,656 Posts
I ran across some stats about the New Madrid while reviewing the Spike TV show "Surviving Disaster" for my blog.

The host, Cade Courtley, stated that scientists said an 8.o or higher occuring on the New Madrid fault line within the next 20 years is 95% or better. Granted, no one can predict an earthquake, but they know the indicators to look for. Might be worth taking a look.

http://www.spike.com/full-episode/earthquake/34636

·
Psalm 31:3
443 Posts
Anyone remember the Edgar Cayce map of the US? It wasn't pretty. Louisiana was gone except for a small piece in the NW part of the state and the Mississippi River was much, much larger. When I saw the map the first thing that struck me was the New Madrid fault.

·
zombie response team
3,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Anyone remember the Edgar Cayce map of the US? It wasn't pretty. Louisiana was gone except for a small piece in the NW part of the state and the Mississippi River was much, much larger. When I saw the map the first thing that struck me was the New Madrid fault.
i jsut dont think that people that live in the mephis/st louis, (and arkansas delta, hell even up here in NW arkansas will be affected some way or another), any way i just dont think people take this serious enough, they think earthquakes only go down in california:eek:

·
Registered
270 Posts
I didn't see anything really. It was a powerpoint presentation, not much info, lots of pictures of previous eq's... There is a eq practice scheduled for 2011... That's about it.

(but if I missed something, important please let me knwo)

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
this outline I posted is for presentations given to FEMA members, they are taking it seriously, and so should we. They will be testing preparedness next year, and are developing plans now. The websites I have seen say New Madrid could go any time. It is actually due now, or overdue depending on which models you look at. I guess it doesn't hurt to focus for a while on earthquake preparedness.
simple google search for "earthquake Preparedness" and New Madrid with either the word earthquake or fault turns up very much info, too much to post. (Sorry you don't like adobe):thumb:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.