Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Time to hit reset
25,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran across this article a week or so back and thought I would share with everyone. Don't know if these 'outdated' or 'obsolete' magazines will start to flood the market, but it may be an issue.

Nothing worse than thinking you got a heck of a deal only to find out you got screwed.:mad:

"PICATINNY ARSENAL, N.J. - The Army has begun fielding a new 5.56mm 30-round "improved magazine" that delivers a significant increase in reliability for M-16 and M-4 weapons.

Bolstering the already high reliability ratings of the M-16 and M-4, the improved magazine reduces the risk of magazine-related stoppages by more than 50 percent compared to the older magazine variants, according to officials at Program Executive Office Soldier.

Identified by a tan-colored follower, more than 500,000 of the improved magazines have been fielded to units in Iraq, Afghanistan and the United States."

read on at.....http://www.military.com/news/article/army-news/improved-magazine-increases-reliability.html

Hope this helps.:thumb:

·
Registered
582 Posts
I ran across this article a week or so back and thought I would share with everyone. Don't know if these 'outdated' or 'obsolete' magazines will start to flood the market, but it may be an issue.

Nothing worse than thinking you got a heck of a deal only to find out you got screwed.:mad:

"PICATINNY ARSENAL, N.J. - The Army has begun fielding a new 5.56mm 30-round "improved magazine" that delivers a significant increase in reliability for M-16 and M-4 weapons.

Bolstering the already high reliability ratings of the M-16 and M-4, the improved magazine reduces the risk of magazine-related stoppages by more than 50 percent compared to the older magazine variants, according to officials at Program Executive Office Soldier.

Identified by a tan-colored follower, more than 500,000 of the improved magazines have been fielded to units in Iraq, Afghanistan and the United States."

read on at.....http://www.military.com/news/article/army-news/improved-magazine-increases-reliability.html

Hope this helps.:thumb:

Every magazine I have (new or used) I've retrofitted with new springs and mag pull non tilt followers. It solved my reliability problems.:D:

·
Μολὼν λαβ
596 Posts
Will we see a flood of $5 mags w/ OLD green followers or will the mags be
turned into scrap metal on orders from the kinder gentler voice of change?

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,467 Posts
Those "obsolete" magazines have been on the market all along. They still work the same as they always did, so if they work for you and the price drops, grab them. I'm always for anything that increases reliability, but that doesn't automatically mean that everything before it suddenly turns into junk.

·
Time to hit reset
25,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those "obsolete" magazines have been on the market all along. They still work the same as they always did, so if they work for you and the price drops, grab them. I'm always for anything that increases reliability, but that doesn't automatically mean that everything before it suddenly turns into junk.

True, just a 'heads up' to all, that an upgrade/replacement of the springs might be another matter to consider.

I think I have maybe 6 mags (out of about 30) with the 'old' black followers. I have upgraded a few mags over the years, but still havent had any issues with the 'older' mags. (knock wood):rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
A good plan would be to upgrade a few old magazines every year till all your mags are up to snuff, and with good magazines being kind of cheap wholesale i've been trying to buy 10 new mags every year or so,

a magazine is a consumable, when u get some mags that doesn't work right, throw them out and buy new ones, they aren't much money when u realize your life could depend on it!

·
Space Cadet
656 Posts
It looks like the real change is the substition of a clone Magpull anti tilt follower which people have been doing for years. The USGI green follower works great but since two of its legs are short you can get the followerto tilt when reloading.

If these mags show up cheap down the road I'd grab some. Heck they're already cheap at $8 but who knows if they'll go lower. And if the tilting is annoying, Magpull followers are only $2 or less.

·
Who Watches the Watchmen?
7,204 Posts
thanks for the article warrior this affects the group standard mags we have been getting.

·
Prepared in NH
12,866 Posts
thanks for the article warrior this affects the group standard mags we have been getting.
Good point to consider (take into consideration).

On a side note; “Drunkin posts do have a certain level of entertainment value…”

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
They said the same thing about HK mags.

I have a duffel bag of AR mags from Bushmaster and Colt and never had a single problem through my many AR's. I haven't tried my new P-Mags but I still think the problem lies with the lousy ammuntion that troops are issued. It's just my experience but I have never seen M855 or M193 work very well.

·
67,467 Posts
They said the same thing about HK mags.

I have a duffel bag of AR mags from Bushmaster and Colt and never had a single problem through my many AR's. I haven't tried my new P-Mags but I still think the problem lies with the lousy ammuntion that troops are issued. It's just my experience but I have never seen M855 or M193 work very well.
I've bought a few upgraded mags just to have them, but for the most part I've been using Center Industries USGI mags because I have several cases of them. Other than the occasionally bad mag that I destroy when I discover it, I have had 100% success with them.

·
المتخلف&
5,508 Posts
I've bought a few upgraded mags just to have them, but for the most part I've been using Center Industries USGI mags because I have several cases of them. Other than the occasionally bad mag that I destroy when I discover it, I have had 100% success with them.

You know you can replace the spring and followers right? That's what I did when I screwed over on a mag..

·
67,467 Posts
You know you can replace the spring and followers right? That's what I did when I screwed over on a mag..
Yep, but I haven't needed to. So far, they're working fine in my 4 ARs and Kel-Tec SU-16. I have nearly 400 of them, so if one is problematic, I just toss it. The few problematic ones have had issues with the magazine body and I wasn't going to spend the time to tinker with it. If it had been a follower or spring issue, I'd have swapped them out.

·
Time to hit reset
25,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep, but I haven't needed to. So far, they're working fine in my 4 ARs and Kel-Tec SU-16. I have nearly 400 of them, so if one is problematic, I just toss it. The few problematic ones have had issues with the magazine body and I wasn't going to spend the time to tinker with it. If it had been a follower or spring issue, I'd have swapped them out.
400!?!........WOW:eek:

wanna sell some of em?:thumb:

·
You ARE what you IS!
5,210 Posts
I haven't bought any spare mags in quite some time. I have quite a few and have never had any feed probs whatsoever. As soon as I got them, a got my dremel with polishing arbor and did a complete de-burr job on all of them. Never a feed prob so far.:thumb:

·
Registered
615 Posts
If you are buying used GI mags, just look for dents, dings or deformity in the mag body. These "battle scars" could effect the mag, like hanging up your follower causing a malfunction to feed.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
My absolute favorite AR mag is the old Colt 20 rounder with the alloy follower. I have never witnessed a single issue with that magazine. I have a bunch of them from the 1960's.

20's don't give you problems when you are proned out and they store and carry ery easily.

P-Mags would be my next choice, though not in the cold as they have been know to crack but otherwise they are pretty good.

·
67,467 Posts
400!?!........WOW:eek:

wanna sell some of em?:thumb:
Actually, selling them is how I got so many to start with. Before the economy wiped me out, I was a full time gun show dealer. Factory overruns were uncommon so when I got the chance at some, I'd buy 3-4 cases, set one aside and sell the rest. I've managed to collect a bunch of magazines for various guns that way.

·
67,467 Posts
If you are buying used GI mags, just look for dents, dings or deformity in the mag body. These "battle scars" could effect the mag, like hanging up your follower causing a malfunction to feed.
The same applies to new ones still in the packaging also. I buy them by the case of 100 and occasionally a few are dinged from the factory or from shipping enough to make them malfunction. Eyeball any of them closely before buying. I hand check each one before I sell them.

·
www.GuerillaTactical.com
1,446 Posts
It looks like the real change is the substition of a clone Magpull anti tilt follower which people have been doing for years. The USGI green follower works great but since two of its legs are short you can get the followerto tilt when reloading.

If these mags show up cheap down the road I'd grab some. Heck they're already cheap at $8 but who knows if they'll go lower. And if the tilting is annoying, Magpull followers are only $2 or less.
That was my thought! I have magpul followers in 2 of my mags and the others have the green followers. The magpul ones appear to be the ticket. Ill be replacing the followers in the remaining mags with those (mags are brand new).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts