Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
just waitin' for it
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... I got a hold on a brand new DSC M4 barrel. While cleaning it I noticed the gas port creates a "raised" surface in the barrel, kinda like burs. You can feel it when you run the brush through. You can also see that it's raised. I took a few pics.

My question is whether this is normal in a new barrel or not. I've yet to fire it, and am wondering if a few rounds will clear it out, or if there's something else I can do.

Attachments

·
Rifleman
1,600 Posts
you should be able to knock the burrs off with a tight fitting jag and cleaning patch. Most mass produced barrels are drilled with no thought to removing the burrs. Match barrel makers will push a lead slug into the barrel to drill into eliminating any rough areas.

·
Registered
428 Posts
you can also buy pre-loaded ammo thats coated with different compounds that will smooth out the rough spots in the barrels. or you could do a break in proceedure of fire 10 rounds, clean, 10 rounds, clean, till youve fired a hundred rounds or so.

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
he's right blast away, a few FMJ's will smooth it right out, but until until you get it smoothed out, don't use hunting ammo, the minor deformity that the burr will cause in a expanding round will alter its accuracy quite a bit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts