Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Learning
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a brand new M1A tonight. SS barrel and black synthetic furniture. I really wanted wood and a regular barrel, but gun store said they were not sure if they could get anything in or not. He said there is a chance this is the last M1A they will ever sell.

My wife asked me Tuesday night at about 11:30 PM if there was any more guns that I wanted. I said yes, but it is expensive. She said go ahead and get it.

What are some good magazines for it?

The rifle looks just like this except for a NM SS barrel.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/kmastf/RIFLES/M1A.jpg

·
Registered
85 Posts
did you look at the c-mg from beta company...100 round twin drum...kinda expensive though.

why did you want a springfield m1a? did you ever shoot one before or was it for the brand of gun or cause it's 308?
Just wondering cause I been looking at that kind of gun also(also with wood stocks)

·
Registered
109 Posts
congrats on your new rifle....they are a hell of a gun.......ive been buying checkmate magazines from 44 mag dist. for mine.....ive bought several in the last month....they were out of them the day after the election but will backorder.....cdnn sells the same mags but are higher priced....these are good US made magazines....keep shooting.com has some t57 mags which are supposed to be ok but arent made in the usa....what ever u do .....dont buy cheap magazines u will be disapointed....

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
The T57 mags are great.I have bought about 5 of them no problems whatsoever.There made in Taiwan. But,They were made on original G.I. Tooling and built to G.I. specs.The only difference between them and american made is they are blued instead of parkerized.But if you can get any from 44mag get them too.They are great mags as well and are reasonably priced

Reactions: Preacherboy

·
Learning
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
family man- I don't know if the beta mags are even available for an m1a?

To answer your question, why did I buy an m1a? I have had a love affair with guns since I was 10 years old or so and as I gained more knowledge I liked and wanted different guns. My first rifle was a mosin nagant for $90 and then I started enjoying other milsurplus guns. As I moved along I came to realize my dream rifle was an m1a.

As I have talked to people they tell me the m1a is the rifleman's rifle. I have never shot one, but I am pumped that I own one (even thought I feel a little guilty for spending so much)

So guys the $30 mags from CDNN are what I want?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Congrats preacher. There is one problem however. Once you shoot the thing you will discover that one M1A is not enough. You NEED at least 2.

The Beta mag.
http://www.snipercountrypx.com/showproduct.aspx?productid=4640

The T57 mags are great
I agree 100% I must have about a dozen of them now.

BTW, my late Father in law made the experimental M1A Beta mag. After they worked out the bug he made the molds and dies for their production.

·
Certifiable
723 Posts
Nice job, do buy good magazines. No offense to eaglescout but I would not touch beta mags. They are heavy and if they jam you have a whole lot of ammo that you cannot use. I also believe they tend to feed the spray and pray crowd. Military squads and platoons have automatic riflemen and machine gunners that are supposed to lay suppressive fire but beyond that most fire semiautomatic with smaller magazines. For higher volumes of fire belt fed weapons are the answer. Learn precision fire, that is what your M1A is designed for anyway.

semper-fi

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
Congrats on your M1A. Thanks for sharin your pic. Stick with KNOWN USGI/CMI mags, and you will be GTG.

www.44mag.com

They only sell the real thing. I have bought several dozens of CMI mags from them in the past.

Make sure you grease her up in all the right spots, and buy plenty of ammo. You will most likely get addicted to shooting yours, and this might lead to another.:thumb:

11B

·
Registered
604 Posts
I feel the green bug of envy biting. Eventually I would love a M1A, right now I'm working with the AR platform for commonality between the wife and little ones as they get older and the M1A is too heavy for that.

·
Learning
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Trebuchet, I also am working with an AR, but I wanted to purchase an M1A just in case I am not allowed to in a couple of years. So if you think that you will ever want one or need one buy it now, along with some mags and ammo and just think of it as an investment. In five years a mag might cost $100 and a rifle might be $2500 or more.

·
Shield Up Sword Drawn
2,960 Posts
Just picked up a brand new M1A tonight. SS barrel and black synthetic furniture. I really wanted wood and a regular barrel, but gun store said they were not sure if they could get anything in or not. He said there is a chance this is the last M1A they will ever sell.

My wife asked me Tuesday night at about 11:30 PM if there was any more guns that I wanted. I said yes, but it is expensive. She said go ahead and get it.

What are some good magazines for it?

The rifle looks just like this except for a NM SS barrel.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25/kmastf/RIFLES/M1A.jpg

I just bought a M1A. I have been looking at them on gunbroker. Recently they have been going over retail price. So I did a search and found a shop in Texas called Lucy Creek Arms and bought the camo std. version for a good price. I should have it by the weekend!

Ammo is expensive compared to 223. The magazines are up there also.

Can you tell me what comes in the box? Is there anything in the butt plate? Any tools?

·
Learning
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My rifle is the black synthetic stock and there is no hole in the butt plate from what I see. Some articles about m1a care and an instruction booklet. No tools.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts