Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Average Joe
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, there I was... I signed up for the Marines this year. I graduated boot camp in September, and I graduated the School of Infantry today. I'm a bonafide grunt today. I lost weight and strength through all of my training, and am less fit now than when I entered. I have learned to endure senseless repetition and to take responsibility for my actions, but more importantly, I have learned how to suffer gracefully. I thank the Lord every day for helping me have the right attitude to get through it all, and I thank the Lord for giving me an understanding and supportive wife that loves me all the more for it. I can't wait to get home and be better than I once was, stronger than I am, and as fearless as I will ever be. Ooh'rah!

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Grats! Stay safe and be sure that many appreciate your service.

Now, head for Applebee's, Golden Corral and Outback over this coming weekend.

SCORE!

·
Super Moderator
14,524 Posts
Welcome to the Corps.

Reactions: TDFbound

·
Registered
541 Posts
Thank you.:thumb:

Tomorrow will be the USMC birthday too!

·
Average Joe
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so you less fit now then before boot and ait ? you must be a hollywood marine
I was an endurance athlete before I left- none of the PT at Boot Camp or SOI was similar to my 5 hour workouts I was used to- a lot more "general fitness" (aka CrossFit, which I do anyways) than cardio. Due to diet and sleep constraints, I lost a ton of muscle, including six inches off of each leg. wish me luck putting twenty pounds back on and re-lowering my heart rate back down to the low 30's!

·
Those were the days....
4,542 Posts
Welcome aboard.

Take care of your feet. Keep `em dry and get the best boots you can. Had a pair of Bates Lites, loved them.

When you get to the Fleet, keep your mouth shut and your eyes and ears open.

Know where your headed yet?

·
thepostmandelivers
1,241 Posts
Ooh'Rah! Devil Dog happy b-day ( a little early i know) 0311 i hope and perhaps 8541 next keep your head down and your powder dry semper fi jabba

·
Garbage Collector
11,363 Posts
Semper Fi, good luck in the FMF.

·
Keeping it Simple
1,074 Posts
Ooh'Rah! Devil Dog happy b-day ( a little early i know) 0311 i hope and perhaps 8541 next keep your head down and your powder dry semper fi jabba
The Marine Corps changed the MOS from 8541 to 0317 a few years ago.

"Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." Ronald Reagan

Happy Birthday Marines!

·
Registered
650 Posts
Much the same happened to my group in the Army in the late '60s. The weak ones gained weight and got stronger. The strong ones lost weight and got a bit weaker. We were always sick and groggy from lack of sleep. I finished basic, Infantry AIT and jump school in terrific shape but with constant, low-grade pneumonia. Got to SFTG at Ft. Bragg in March '68 and all the sickness went away in a couple of weeks simply because they let us have 8 hours of sleep each night. As one SF sergeant told us: "We don't care how much weight you can bench press or how fast you can run a hundred-yard dash. What we want to know is can you march 20 miles under full field gear and fight a battle at the end of it? That's physical fitness."
The military isn't training you to lift weights. It's training you to fight. You'll do great!

·
DIE HARD PATRIOT
1,011 Posts
Congratulations Grunt, now being a Grunt really starts, stay Squared Away, and put one foot in front of the other, and pound the ground. Semper Fi, Jarhead.

·
Wire Guided
933 Posts
You think you lost weight in SOI? Wait until you go to Bridgeport:)

Congratulations, Marine. I was more proud to have survived SOI (Alpha Company, MOS 0351, March 1993) than to have graduated from boot camp. Remember: while every Marine is a (basic) rifleman, not every Marine is an Infantryman (and it's all about the infantry...everything else is just support:))

1 - 20 of 20 Posts