Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
just doin my job..
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright, I started this awhile ago..

my dad works as a mechanic/supervisor on base, so I asked him for some coil springs.. he got me a 5/8" spring off some sort of gun assembly I think it was.. at first it was tough to straighten and forge but I found a technique fairly quickly.. anyways heres some pics

and here is it finished - kinda.. havent sanded anything, wanted a usable knife for my camping trip on fri.

lets hear your comments!

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
Very cool Greg. Did you reuse that handle or did you cut it off of a rack? The steel will make a really nice little bush knife.

Reactions: offroadgreg

·
just doin my job..
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys, I like it.. the handle I was saving for a larger knife but had nothing else suitable..

Very cool Greg. Did you reuse that handle or did you cut it off of a rack? The steel will make a really nice little bush knife.
yeah, actually its funny I was looking around for horn on eBay and local reindeer farms and stuff.. and then a day later we were driving down a private road in a nearby town and my mom saw a full moose rack at the end of a driveway.. still joined at the skull so I figure the guy must have been hunting up north and just not needed the antlers..

needless to say I was thrilled.. just barely fit them in the van sideways with the back seats taken out.. I've already used alot of the tips for knives but there is a TON of material left.

thanks for the comments guys :thumb:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Nicely done Sir! Yeah she looks like a mean little cutter. Thanks for showing the progress pics.
I agree with rhart, the joy is being able to use something you made yourself, as well as knowledge you gain each time you do it. Knowledge is pricless, hard won, and the ultimate tool.
Lets see what you can do with thte rest of that spring!

thanksfor Sharing offroadgreg

·
just doin my job..
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks! yeah it is alot of fun.. this was my first knife with a guard.. I always found it very hard to fit them evenly enough.. and even though this isn't a perfect fit its good enough for me :)
there will be more coming soon too..

OHH, forgot to mention that the guard on this was wrought iron from an old wagon wheel a neighbour was getting rid of..

·
just doin my job..
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've also got a couple of pictures showing my forge setup for anyone interested..
I picked this forge up from my friends school, he called me up one day and told me his shop teacher needed it to go because it was "unsafe" and they had a new propane one coming in.. man was I happy.. it has a very nice blower on it and everything!! came with all the tongs I will need for awhile too

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've also got a couple of pictures showing my forge setup for anyone interested..
I picked this forge up from my friends school, he called me up one day and told me his shop teacher needed it to go because it was "unsafe" and they had a new propane one coming in.. man was I happy.. it has a very nice blower on it and everything!! came with all the tongs I will need for awhile too
yeah lts see the setup :thumb:

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
thanks guys, I like it.. the handle I was saving for a larger knife but had nothing else suitable..

yeah, actually its funny I was looking around for horn on eBay and local reindeer farms and stuff.. and then a day later we were driving down a private road in a nearby town and my mom saw a full moose rack at the end of a driveway.. still joined at the skull so I figure the guy must have been hunting up north and just not needed the antlers..

needless to say I was thrilled.. just barely fit them in the van sideways with the back seats taken out.. I've already used alot of the tips for knives but there is a TON of material left.

thanks for the comments guys :thumb:
or wanted it at the end of his driveway for show..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts