Survivalist Forum banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Honest question but Why so much negative comments about Jersey?
Gee, I don't know, maybe the thousands of Obamanites and crazy liberals that make living in a free state seem like a fairytale.

EDIT: To include the sky-high property taxes, insurance, and obscure laws that make you guilty until proven innocent. This state is so ****ed, and will become even moreso with the influx of the parasitic bennies from NY moving here from the cesspool they created. If you're a freedom loving American, get out while you can

·
Registered
68 Posts
I work in Patterson , unbelievable is the word that comes to mind . My home is up for sale moving upstate can't wait to leave

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Newbie from Union County here, One question- why do we all live in this state?
because it's home, but get in your car and drive... because you can get to manhattan in less than an hour; the better part of an an hour to the shore to swim; an hour from the mountains to ski; you're half an hour from the airport, 5 1/2 hours drive to boston, 10 hours to montreal, 4 hours drive to washington dc, 20 hours drive to florida, 12 hours to the border of west virgina and kentucky, 1 1/2 hours to pa. to go hunt. you also have farmland to grow vegetables, you have farmland to raise livestock, plenty of water for both. yes, it might be colder in the winter than i would like, and my taxes are high; but no where is perfect.

i accept that my taxes are high, but it is because my services are of high calabre too; I happen to like living in a blue ribbon school district even though I dont have children. it keeps my property value high. Sure you can go somewhere with lower taxes but you not getting what you get here. things are expensive here because people want to live here. NJ has the 3 of the top 10 wealthiest counties in the country--check the forbes list.

you have the best of all worlds right where you're sitting, but i guess we won't miss you if you go.

·
Team 30-30 Mem. #190
313 Posts
I think part of it is all the “type A” ultra-competitive personalities that earn their living in cities like NYC & Phil, but come home to Jersey. They try to leave their job behind, but cannot cut off their competitiveness at home and can’t stand the thought that someone else may have a nicer home with that E P Henry back yard and a shore house, and they don’t. Many feel like they’re a failure if they don’t have a BMW in the garage. Most really don’t have much of a personal life and keep talking about their retirement, but will never go willingly. Because they never did develop a life of their own and can’t now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I love NJ. We have everything here. I moved to Monmouth county in 1997 from NY. Raised my 3 children here.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello fellow Jerseyans. Born, raised and still living in Morris County. My husband was also brought up in New Jersey.
This state is certainly not all bad and I'm fortunate to be in the county I'm in, but we are not amongst the county's rich crazy, and made the worst mistake of our married lives when we bought our small cape cod house in fall of 2005.
It was supposed to be a starter home.. From the beginning we thought we'd like to move out of state when the opportunity arose (you know.. in 2-3 years...!). Ten years later and we just got a basic real estate appraisal of our home. We'd lose thousands on our house if we sold and that's just based on what's left on our mortgage...not to mention the outrageous price we were naive enough to pay at the time. Hindsight is 20/20, but our house/tiny property/neighborhood has never really felt like home. It is more a cement block on a chain for us and the biggest barricade to taking action on our desire to move out of state and, for him, change careers.
On other topics...My spiritual faith alone sometimes is the only thing keeping me from losing complete hope in anything in this life, given the country's current state of affairs.
Any of you still in NJ? Northwest Jersey does still have some places to wander that give us relief from the pain of daily commuting and drudgery in the suburbs (though I feel even worse for our neighbors east of here in turnpike territory). Our love of nature and day hikes and vacations to Maine and other far off rural settings keeps us moving forward. We try our best to live day to day making the most of it (for my spouse he really does live weekend to weekend). We could be a lot worse off, but still....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey to all,
I live in Somerset Co. I have a place in PA. My job is here, my heart isn't. If things go to H, I'm sure NJ will be toast.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Born and raised in NJ (Morris county), Rutgers then Seton Hall. Use to work for a big Rx manufacturing corporation and now and have own business. Where we are in Somerset county is great - 45 minutes to theater district in Manhattan, 30 minutes or less to EWR. Great neighborhood, great schools. Property taxes bit the big one though. Long term plan is move to a southern income tax free state when the kids enter college. Have a bug out plan of course into PA and southern tier NY.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Part Time Resident

Lived in Cumberland County all of my life. Had a small farm and loved it.

Married a girl 10 years ago with a house in Florida. In 2015 sold the farm and

moved in with family. Now I am officially a Floridian and spend 6 mos. here

and 6 mos. in NJ.

South Jersey Boy

·
Team 30-30 Mem. #190
313 Posts
I'm figuring I'm too close to Philly to head due east. Besides, they'd be swimming the Delaware to get over here. But then, it's all what, where & how that matters with disasters.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
Honest question but Why so much negative comments about Jersey?
I grew up there, Essex county. When I was a child it was a nice place to live, from a child's point of view. Now, not so nice.

Mother-in-law pays $9,000 a year property tax.
My great uncle had a two story, two family house, he paid $13,000 a year property tax.
East Orange used to be upscale a long long time ago, now it's a drug ridden, gang ridden cesspool. They don't allow overnight parking on the streets, you get ticketed every night you do it, no one told them it's not upscale anymore...

They still do full motor vehicle inspections, if you can't get your car to pass you can't drive it. If you park it in your backyard, you better keep it registered and insured, if not the inspectors will give you a summons and an order to have it removed.

Just so many things to interfere with your life.
I saw two cops parked in the middle of the street, window to window, talking while traffic piled up. A guy blew the horn and the cop moved to the side, and immediately pulled the driver over when he went past. He was yelling at him, he said ,"you're blowing the horn at the Po-leese?!"

Wicked overcrowding, poorly plowed roads in the winter, wicked potholes come spring... Could go on for a while.

Even with that, sometimes I still get homesick, weird...

·
Registered
28 Posts
I got out of Brick around 2007. Was there since 2000 in Herbertsville area (not far from where the reservoir is now). Proximity to Pt Pleasant was nice. Otherwise . . . . I'm glad I'm not there anymore.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Union county here. Work in Freehold. Crappy commute. Even harder to get home if SHTF. And work in an epicenter if it is a biological or medical catastrophe.

But Hi! :thumb::D:

·
statists' be statin'
3,338 Posts
Cumberland County!!
Also Cumberland County. Rural farms, marshes, small ponds. Everyone hunts and fishes and owns a pickup truck. More like Alabama than NJ. Of course the three small cities in the county are awful but once you're outside of town, this tiny rural part of NJ really is nice.

The problem is that the rest of the state is an urban cesspool and they make all the rules. We're working on our exit plan.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts