Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Wilderness Survivor
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading an article on treehugger.com tonight about windturbines that are affordable for the 'individual' market. http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/11/five-home-wind-turbines-you-can-actually-buy.php

This got me to thinking (and I would not be surprised if this has been thought of before) about putting the same application of small wind turbine on a vehicle that is battery powered and electric engine driven. When the speed of the vehicle got to a point that the turbine engine could move in a sustained action and speed, the turbine would take over either to charge the batteries or power the electric engine on the car. That idea would not necessarily work for the stop and go type of driving around town but for sustained highway and freeway speeds (longer trips out of town?) it could possibly work if engineered right.

Just think, no need for gas or any fuel at all. No need for a small gas engine to recharge the batteries or actually run the vehicle like on the Toyota Prius. Not even a need to stop at a recharge station and pay for amps. Just a thought. You might like to comment.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
In any machine there is always a loss of energy. Therefore unsustainable without an outside fuel source eventually.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The problem is that the wind resistance caused by the turbine is more than the energy created by it. In other words having a huge turbine on your car will increase wind resistance of the car which will increase the fuel required by the car (gas/ electricity) and since most turbines are less than 90% effective you cannot generate more electricity than the mechanical input to the system that also causes wind resistance.

For instance say you could get a turbine that is 100% efficient (which don't exist) and you mount it on you car the added wind resistance and power generated will cancel each other exactly meaning your gas /fuel mileage wouldn't change from when you didn't have the turbine. For generators of less than 100% efficiency you actually decrease your average mileage.

Hope I explained it understandably, any comments welcome I admit I am not an expert.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Look into solar. There are hundreds of options out there and you could create your own charging station. Either way look into how to charge batteries and keeping them charged.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I know we don't get enough wind here for that. However, we have a pretty good solar set up that we add to. Even with that, we are no where near powering something like what you're suggesting.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.
So does this mean there is some one out there making money this month?:xeye:

·
Barbarian
519 Posts
I think Nikola Tesla invented a type of antenna that takes electricity out of the air, but the gov and big businesses put him out, and probably destroyed all his stuff.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think Nikola Tesla invented a type of antenna that takes electricity out of the air, but the gov and big businesses put him out, and probably destroyed all his stuff.
Sounds like a documentary I watched about zero point energy. Some substance the guy found that can tap little bits of ZPE, some of them exploded if it started to get too much energy. Could be a hoax but seemed pretty real. Can't remember the name of the show. Anybody know of this technology?

·
Grounded
1,501 Posts
All antennae "take electricity out of the air." When a radio/light/micro/etc wave hits the antenna, it causes electricity to flow in the antenna. The current is very small but it can be used to control a larger current and the signal is therefore amplified.

Tesla was big on wireless power transmission. He built LARGE transmitters (now known as tesla coils) in a remote location and used antennae to tap into the energy being broadcast by them. His famous car probably had an antenna that was picking up energy from one of his transmitters but the energy involved was not "free," it was simply being broadcast from a remote location.

Unfortunately, this technology is incompatible with radio/cell phone/TV/radar technology. Try an experiment like that now and the FCC will be very mad at you.

·
Forever Vigilant
2,260 Posts
It won't work in the way you have described. This is not a conspiracy, it is a fact. I have tried it with many different types of wind generators as part of an experiment. It is not even close to working. The problem is that the vehicle requires an enormous amount of power to get moving and the power generating source can never catch back up. Further, you loose 20% of the available power due to known charging inefficiencies. An yes, it is an old idea.

·
Wilderness Survivor
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It won't work in the way you have described. This is not a conspiracy, it is a fact. I have tried it with many different types of wind generators as part of an experiment. It is not even close to working. The problem is that the vehicle requires an enormous amount of power to get moving and the power generating source can never catch back up. Further, you loose 20% of the available power due to known charging inefficiencies. An yes, it is an old idea.
Ah well, back to the drawing board... seems that good old shoe leather fits several needs.. albeit there is better science afoot. Some day when the aliens come down and openly share their technology, then we'll get somewhere?? :thumb::rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I saw a picture of a working wind powered plow once.it had a windmill that was geared way the heck down.worked but was very slow. I had a sail powered trike for a while that I would take out on the dry lakes,it would do 50 in a 35 mph wind.dude went across the US on one.

·
Savage intellectual
1,866 Posts
I was reading an article on treehugger.com tonight about windturbines that are affordable for the 'individual' market. http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/11/five-home-wind-turbines-you-can-actually-buy.php

This got me to thinking (and I would not be surprised if this has been thought of before) about putting the same application of small wind turbine on a vehicle that is battery powered and electric engine driven. When the speed of the vehicle got to a point that the turbine engine could move in a sustained action and speed, the turbine would take over either to charge the batteries or power the electric engine on the car. That idea would not necessarily work for the stop and go type of driving around town but for sustained highway and freeway speeds (longer trips out of town?) it could possibly work if engineered right.

Just think, no need for gas or any fuel at all. No need for a small gas engine to recharge the batteries or actually run the vehicle like on the Toyota Prius. Not even a need to stop at a recharge station and pay for amps. Just a thought. You might like to comment.
Omg look up the freaking SECOND LAW OF THERMODYNAMICS, and the LAW OF CONSERVATION OF ENERGY.

dS/dT>0

It will NOT work.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What if you skipped the wind turbine and simply collected rain water in a large cylinder? You could propel turbines inside the tube via the running water . . .

1 - 20 of 23 Posts