Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
pack light, move quietly.
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So there I was listlessly wondering the isles of Home Despot when I ran across a nice looking roofing hammer. Now this roofing hammer only has about a 10-12" handle. Thats OK, I bought one of those ergonomic framing hammer handles made out of hickory. It is quite a bit longer with a bit of a curve. This is lighter than the hammer hatchets Cold Steel carries, and it has a better shaped hammer head. Finally one little handy addition is the nail puller in the bottom. There is a heavier 22oz one that Home Despot carries but it is heavier than I like, I wanted a light weight hatchet/tomahawk that wasn't too heavy.
It will work great for camp chores and hiking and I think it will make a dandy wilderness survival tool. Plus if worst comes to worst I can knock heads with it. Pictures tomorrow for those interested.

Rob

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
Is this better?
Good Work on the edge. I plan on doing the same to mine one day.
The week point on this is the small opening for the wood handle.
The wood will not take as much abuse as a larger piece of wood.

Antique tool Tool Hammer

·
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for dressing up the picture for me. Yes it is better. I still feel that with a hickory handle it will hold up pretty well. I really like the feel of this one better and it is easier to hang onto in a swing. Thanks again.

Rob

·
Acolyte
249 Posts
Funny I picked up that same exact hatchet a few months back just because I liked the way it felt in my hand. It has a nice balance of lightness but enough heft to do some damage. I didn't care for the larger one either, felt awkward

·
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On mine it is, pure bad luck and poor planning. The handle was the last of its type and I grabbed it without checking. I intend to rectifiy that soon but even backwords I like it more than the CS Rifleman Hawk.

Rob

·
Registered
40 Posts
With the longer handle it should be a good tool.

If you are looking for one on eBay or etc, it is called a Lathe Hatchet or Carpenters Hatchet. A roofers hatchet has a big square head and a smaller cutting edge.

·
is the new black.
428 Posts
I procured for free some big chinese butcher knives that feel more like hand axes, planning on giving them longer handles. Not optimal, but a start, and free...

·
Know more, carry less
1,062 Posts
Is this better?
Good Work on the edge. I plan on doing the same to mine one day.
The week point on this is the small opening for the wood handle.
The wood will not take as much abuse as a larger piece of wood.

View attachment 20187
The great thing about that style of hatchet is that synthetic hammer handles will fit. Once you glue one in you never have to worry about splitting or the head coming loose. It looks good so far. I have a couple more axe projects on the go at the moment too :thumb:

Paul.

·
The rock and roll clown
566 Posts
The handle is not on backwards. That is designed to mainly be used as a hammer, holding it by the bottom with the curve in your hand will give you a little extra power when driving nails.

When you flip it around and use the hatchet side, you would want to choke up on the handle and grip it by the straighter part of the handle.

·
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well this isn't really supposed to be a hammer, thats just a bonus for me. I did want it to be a camp axe/ tomahawk. Also kudos on the synthetic handle if it is light, I'm going to look into them because I have had good luck with one on my regular axe, I think it is pretty well on there forever.
So in conclusion, I wish the handle did face the other way. And I think I will at least look into the synthetic handles. Thanks guys.

Rob

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
The handle is not on backwards. That is designed to mainly be used as a hammer, holding it by the bottom with the curve in your hand will give you a little extra power when driving nails.

When you flip it around and use the hatchet side, you would want to choke up on the handle and grip it by the straighter part of the handle.
Trust me that handle is on backwards.

This is how it should look.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts