Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I am 25 years old and starting to plan my future and I need advice! I graduate college with a business degree in May and am looking to move to a small town within the next 5 years or so. What jobs are there to make a decent living in small towns? What skills should I learn in order to survive and support a family (with the help of my future hubby)? We have 80 acres in Southeast, MO and currently keep bees and will get cattle and garden in the future once we move there full time. Any advice or tips will help! THANK YOU!

·
Banned
10,320 Posts
CAW!

Hi all! I am 25 years old and starting to plan my future and I need advice! I graduate college with a business degree in May and am looking to move to a small town within the next 5 years or so. What jobs are there to make a decent living in small towns? What skills should I learn in order to survive and support a family (with the help of my future hubby)? We have 80 acres in Southeast, MO and currently keep bees and will get cattle and garden in the future once we move there full time. Any advice or tips will help! THANK YOU!
Hi, don't let the "advice" overwhelm you. Welcome aboard.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
15,804 Posts
I love small towns and lived there most of my working career. Worth noting that many small towns contain a military base, a land grant University, or a major company. These would have more employment options for a business grad.

I can not tell if you want to remain in SE Missouri. I love the Ozarks, and there are several employment options around Rolla, you might have to look further to land your first job. Honestly, I think you are lucky to graduate in todays vibrant economy. When I graduated in 1982 the unemployment rate was 12%..

In this area, the economy is ripping allong, and employeers are looking for dependable people. You might look in places like Springfield, Joplin, Tulsa, Fayetteville, and Ft Smith. Make the most of your college placement office.

Have a bussiness degree would help, but the three things they are a looking for are,
1) Show up on time.
2) Show up ready to work.
3) Do what you are told.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I love small towns and lived there most of my working career. Worth noting that many small towns contain a military base, a land grant University, or a major company. These would have more employment options for a business grad.

I can not tell if you want to remain in SE Missouri. I love the Ozarks, and there are several employment options around Rolla, you might have to look further to land your first job. Honestly, I think you are lucky to graduate in todays vibrant economy. When I graduated in 1982 the unemployment rate was 12%..

In this area, the economy is ripping allong, and employeers are looking for dependable people. You might look in places like Springfield, Joplin, Tulsa, Fayetteville, and Ft Smith. Make the most of your college placement office.

Have a bussiness degree would help, but the three things they are a looking for are,
1) Show up on time.
3) Do what you are told.
Thank you! I am looking to stay in the SE MO area, specifically around Potosi. That is where we have the 80 acres and are planning on moving to full time in the future. I will definitely look into jobs in Rolla.

·
NRA Life 1971
8,435 Posts
Welcome,
A friend of ours moved to MO from CA. She had a business degree and worked on getting her real estate license once she moved and familiarized herself with the area.
She has made a good living and has a beautiful farm.

·
Live Free or Die
3,863 Posts
Why major in business? Are you artsy or crafty? Sell crafts online. As you set up your homestead and move towards self sufficiency and sustainability, start a youtube(or equivalent) channel showing your steps and missteps. As a young and presumably attractive female, you should gather enough followers to make money fairly easily.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No real advice here just encouragement. Love the Lead Belt. I grew up on Park Hills many years ago. You are in a great area. Love to fish and float the Ozark streams. Good luck. Wife and I wish we could have had a place like that. Too old now. What an opportunity at your age.

·
Beware of the dog!
1,939 Posts
1) Show up on time.
3) Do what you are told.
Congratulations on graduation. I agree with the advice from Hick Industries but, with all due respect for the business degree you earned please keep in mind wherever you go you will be a brand new, inexperienced new hire. You will have never worked at the business before and everything they do is set up for their own purpose. If you keep in mind that you are there to learn and do as you are told, and if you actually do your job and show everyone that you want to work and you want to earn your position you should do well.

Unfortunately far too many young adults brag about themselves during the interview and make claims to everyone on day one that they work hard and want to do things right, but as soon as they are on their own they goof off, talk to anyone willing to waste 15 minutes, and make little effort to actually do their job. If you do that other slackers will quickly become your friend but those who actually work hard, and the supervisors, will label you as a bum and you will have a tough time digging out of that hole.

Good luck, and consider a small garden at home for food and for practice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts