Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MyWife and I got approved for a loan and are now looking for a home. We figure we might aswell save money, build equity, and have a safer place. Preps for the home will be a bit in the future as we still hve other expinses to pay off, nothing much just wedding stuff. My main question is if shtf will banks start siezing homes if people cant pay there payments?

I guess it dosent really matter anyway because if i dont pay rent, there more likly to kick us outa there for people that can pay.

I'm also still working on my BOB. considering my BOL's are just familys houses and arnt really any safer, i'd jsut stay here so should i concentrate on stocking the house rather than adding to th BOB?

For those of you that dont know, i work for a federal prison so layoffs are highly unlikely but you never know.

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will still have a bob and all my supplies will be easily movable. My BOB is just very basic. I've also got to live now, if i dont take care of things now it dosent really matter what goes on down the road...or what might happen.

·
How's it with stains?
283 Posts
I will still have a bob and all my supplies will be easily movable. My BOB is just very basic. I've also got to live now, if i dont take care of things now it dosent really matter what goes on down the road...or what might happen.
Good point. I tend to go crazy trying to prioritize our needs.

We're in just about the same situation too. Our 5 yr plan was to get out of debt and save like it was going out of style (well look at that...it is) so that we can put up a large down-payment. I'd consider looking for something that you can pay extra on in order to get out of that payment quick. I know people who get up in arms about having the tax break but I'd rather have an entire house payment in my pocket every month than whatever percentage you save in taxes coming in the next year. We're also looking for a yard that gets plenty of sun for putting in a garden. Good luck with your investment! It's a move toward survival. :thumb:

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my rent for a one bed one bath appt. is $335 + about $50 for utilities. a house payment in our area for a house within our means woud be less than that, we've done the resech on it so we thought that we might as well gain somthing from it.

Here in KS most houses in town are on a one to two acre lot, some up to 5 acres. we sill have a garden, her family is big in that. Her grandpa is a god when it comes to canning and gardening so were about set on food preps. My main concern is having a stable, safe place to live. like i said before it wouldent take much for my landloard o put a notice on my door telling me o get out for no reason. I've seen it done to my neibors.

·
How's it with stains?
283 Posts
Canning is one thing we need to start doing. We should have more room when we get a house. To that end we should also have a survivalist yard sale and get rid of anything that's not a multi-tasker.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
You may want to purchase a home very close to other family members. You can get a community watch started. This will get everyone into the survival mode, without them knowing it.

Then as the economy slows down and theft increases, your neighborhood watch will step up to the plate. There might even be patrols once or twice a night.

Then as a depression comes along, your neighborhood watch will become a neighborhood co-op. You'll carpool together to go shopping. You'll work together to make your neighborhood safer.

The canning kitchen will be openned and the neighborhood will meet and get the canning done.

The gardeners will work together to get the gardens going in spring and closing down in winter.

Befor you know it, you've got a survivalist community working together.

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yep, my oly family hereis my parents, the wifes parents are here too but thats the extent that it goes. the rest of my family is way down south and way up north.

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
You may want to purchase a home very close to other family members. You can get a community watch started. This will get everyone into the survival mode, without them knowing it.

Then as the economy slows down and theft increases, your neighborhood watch will step up to the plate. There might even be patrols once or twice a night.

Then as a depression comes along, your neighborhood watch will become a neighborhood co-op. You'll carpool together to go shopping. You'll work together to make your neighborhood safer.

The canning kitchen will be openned and the neighborhood will meet and get the canning done.

The gardeners will work together to get the gardens going in spring and closing down in winter.

That is a really good idea, right now several friends I grew up with are making plans. I would rather be with friends who can share the load than by myself with the latest tacticool rifle and gear. Not saying gear is bad, obviously, but you get my point.

·
Registered
47 Posts

This is a really great way to get everyone involved! I had never thought of it this way! A canning Kitchen would be nice right now. We still have produce left over that needs to be canned soon before it goes bad. This year was a great year and we have canned between my parents and my grandparents over 300 quarts and around 175 pints of various items (not to mention an unknown amount of jellys and jams). Now, we just have to find a place to put it all! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts