Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, all

As the title suggests, I'm new to the forums, but not new to survival;). Well, I need to stop referring to myself as a survivalist and say that I am more into primitive skills to thrive in the wilderness:thumb:. I want to make things clear here first. I am not going to be another armchair survivalist and talk about things that I have no experience with. I promise to only talk about things that I have done, or things that are very similar to what I have done. First and foremost, I am a tracker. I am currently a student at Tracker School. While primitive skills are a passion of mine, they are second to tracking. So, don't be surprised if you find me talking about tracking more than skills. I believe tracking is the most important skill for survival that anyone can posses. With all of that being said, Hello To All. You'll find that I am easy to get along with, unless I believe you to be another armchair crap talker:D:.

- Tracker Rick

·
Registered
11,613 Posts
Welcome Much to learn here. Things to ponder follow:

Have a BOL?

Self-sufficient? Garden? Stored food?

Reload? Cast bullets? Practice with your firearms?

Practice permaculture? Gather wild foods?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey thanks all for the warm welcomes. I didn't expect to see so many from TN. Other forums mainly have coastal folk, and it is hard to look at some of those photos of all the places I want to see with my feet.

I'm in Claiborne Co., for those that may be wandering where I am. And, as far as my areas of interest, I have already stated that I am primarily a tracker and that all other skills stem from there. Aside from that, mainly all sorts of primitive skills such as weapon making/using, trapping, gathering wild food & medicinal plants/herbs, shelters (it goes much farther than your standard debris shelter), stone,bone, & wooden tool making, baskets/clay pots (not really done much of those yet), tanning, etc.

Some of you may ask why I, or anyone, want to bother with all of that crap. My philosophy is this, first, I like to be close to the earth taking care of it so it takes care of me. I don't think ancient skills should be forgotten, because they predate electricity, which is something that we totally depend on, take for granted, and frequently get taken away from us. Second, I am not a doomsday believer, but if that day is coming I don't think I could store enough for me, and mine, to last our lifetimes. I would rather prepare by learning to live completely off of the land in all seasons. Also, I believe those large stores of food and water work as bait for not only animals, but people as well. I don't want any attention in times like those. But, I wouldn't mind forming a "tribe like" community either.

tbd, I just finished my standard class last may, though I had been avidly tracking and practicing primitive skills before I went. Never really thought I would actually go. One of the best decisions I ever made, though. Funny thing is, I met a guy in my standard class from Mid TN. Said he was an army vet and lived in between Murfreesboro and Jasper. That you, man? Now I need to decide on advanced standard, or advanced tracking and awareness, or both. Decisions, decisions . . .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just started prepping...again (long story - in a nutshell, I've been active in the black powder/mountain man community for nearly 35 years). I'm east of Nashville. Care to chat?

Sourdough

1 - 18 of 18 Posts