Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new to this board (but not to Prepping). I'm a Christian, politically conservative, married (to the same woman for 18 years) father (15 y/o son with a learner's permit :eek:) police officer for a small town in central Alabama.

I was raised by good parents (also preppers) which I am thankful for.

·
Registered
11,613 Posts
Welcome Much to learn here. Things to ponder follow:

Have a BOL?

Self-sufficient? Garden? Stored food?

Reload? Cast bullets? Practice with your firearms?

Practice permaculture? Gather wild foods?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Welcome Much to learn here. Things to ponder follow:

Have a BOL?

Self-sufficient? Garden? Stored food?

Reload? Cast bullets? Practice with your firearms?

Practice permaculture? Gather wild foods?
I have a BOL & BOB

I don't personally know anyone who is truly self-sufficient, i.e. don't depend on others for anything. The Amish come close, but even they have to purchase some items.

We have several raised bed gardens, mainly to have fresh veggies during season, but do freeze some. I haven't gotten into canning yet, but learned that my neighbors do (and started to garden this year too) and have been invited to join them the next time they're going to can something. :thumb:

We have between 5-6 weeks forth of food stored currently.

I reload but have to either get my tumbler fixed (the motor burned out) or buy another one when I'm financially able to. :(

I don't cast my own bullets.

I shoot somewhat regularly depending on whether anyone is using the sheriff's range as well as bi annual firearms training and re-qualification.

I gather some wild foods and have been known to test new wild foods out on the family. :thumb:

I had to look permaculture up, no I don't practice it and don't know anyone personally who does. Some people I know come closer than others though.

·
Registered
11,613 Posts
Davo,

Sounds like you are ahead of the pack.

The Amish hereabouts, seem to make their living working off the farm-carpentry work.

They have gardens, milk cows, have sheep to graze around the house. Milk is a cash crop, and many sell eggs, and produce in season.

We hired some to tear off the roof of our painted lady, and put a new roof back.

Got to talking to them, asking why they did not have orchards, and they laughed, and said, "Why plant trees when you can buy fruit at Walmarts?" Not what I would have expected from the Amish. Turns out that they buy grain to feed chickens and a steer for the table, and buy seed and fertilizer as well.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts