Survivalist Forum banner

New guy not wasting any time jumping on bandwagon!

3K views 20 replies 19 participants last post by  griz 
#1 ·
Hey guys! I'm new here as a registered member but have lurked for the past few days. Being prepared was always something I had thought about but never really made the time to put it into action. Some recent events lately has put this into the front of my family's mind. So, we started 4 days ago and here is where we are at:

Turned my "man cave" into the pantry. It never got used much in the past so it wasn't too difficult to give it up.
Picked up several thousands rounds of ammo.
Picked up Gretchen (3 year old female GSD). Present to the kids!
Bought our first pack of 24 rolls of TP.
Picked up a .45 and 6 mags.
Purchased several heavy duty shelving units.
The wife is starting to identify sales to stock up on food.
Canned 40 pounds of beef roast and 20 of pork.
Placed order for manual well pump.

We are still a long ways from even feeling half-way prepared but at least we've started. We live in the country (we have 170 acres) so that certainly helps in the food department etc.

Anyways, thanks for putting together a great board that helps to protect one's family! I'm looking forward to learning!

Bob

See less See more
#5 ·
Make a list of what you NEED in everyday life and buy lots of it; then rotate it through... real simple way to start... don't forget pet food.

Food first, at least a 90 day supply, THEN round out all the other stuff for emergency use.

If you live where it's cold now get woodstoves ASAP so YOU are in control of your heat/fuel not anyone else.

A generator is nice but relying on it to run your heating equipment for long term is foolish; I would rather be in a warm dark house than a cold dark house.

Be wise & Prioritize.

#6 ·
Welcome to the bunker Griz.

Which part of the world do you hail from?

I'm curious, you wrote that "recent events" prompted you and your wife to start prepping. Could you elaborate please? I'm eager to know what prompts people to get involved. What events motivate them and have them concerned.

#7 ·
Wow. Nice jumpstart. I second Raptor's comments about rotating through your food, which keeps it as fresh as possible, and ensures that you don't shock your system if you are forced to live from your stores.

Don't forget the other daily necessities as you continue to prep: alcohol, disinfectants, soaps, first aid, salt, olive oil, spices, etc. - anything you can't live without.

I'm also curious as to what gave you this kick in the pants.

#12 ·
Welcome to the board

Someone will inevitably post on this thread about how you are late on preparing and that the **** is about to hit the fan in a matter of seconds with all of society collapsing. Do not listen to this moron. You have taken the very important first step!

This forum has TONS of information about how to prep. Good luck

key advice: don't get too obsessed with prepping. You do have a life to live outside of prepping - prepping is for the 0.0001% chance that you need it. Also, don';t get intimidated by the extensive prepping of some of the people here. Some have been prepping for decades, so don't feel like you need to get to their level immediately. Getting to a satisfactory prep level may take 5+ or even 10+ years

#15 ·
I am from Illinois the home of the greatest governor ever!!! :eek:

I just got back from a trip to Sam's Club. My first shelf is halfway full now. I purchased 50 pounds of rice, 50 pounds of flour, water only pancake mix, Chef Boyardi Ravioli, Brown Sugar, Baking Soda and a few other small items. All of which (rice excluded) we use on a daily basis. My wife created a checklist of items that will allow us to keep a running stock of what we used so that we know to replace it the next time we are at the market. I should help us maintain a certainly level of preparedness. It's nice to have a wife who understands what we're trying to do!

Bob

#20 ·
Meh to all of you with more disposable income! I could afford to splurge and play "catch up," but I'd rather maintain a cash buffer and pace myself. The wallet is still recovering from a gear binge anyway.

I have been prowling around Costco, watching prices and jotting down things I would want to get. If a significant other asks what all the water jugs are for, as a former Blacksburg resident I will simply say "...you've never lived in the mountains before, have you?"

#21 ·
We had multiple ice storms here in Illinois over the past few weeks and I quickly saw how my high end geothermal system became scrap metal with no power! So, it got me thinking about wood stoves......the wife bought me a .45 Glock and a combination between those two searches led me to the survival forums. Thus, my journey into this world has been a quick but very beneficial one!

I spent the better part of this evening going through my old junk (items you've not looked at in years and are still stashed away in the garage!). I found an old red-dot acog style scope for my AR15, several ammo cans and my 10 million cp spotlight. So, I've dedicated one of the shelves to keeping non food items on.

Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.