Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always like the look for the Galil and the CETME full the .308 battle rifle void but I wonder if they are any good. I see CAI CETME going for $700 after shipping and FFL but while Galil would be $1200 take home. I wonder if it is wise to let go of two DRACO to generate fund for a Galil or trade a DRACO for a CETME.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I'd skip the CAI Cetme and save for a PTR HK style rifle. Much better quality with the PTR!

I own a Century Galil, and I like it, but for a 5.56 it is heavy! While 35 rd mags are nice, they too are heavy! For its weight you could lug around a 308 rifle, or an AR and a lot more ammo and magazines.

Why sell something!?!? Save up and keep them all!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Put an arm brace on the draco
I never like the idea of buying braves separately as they are rather expensive. I can get a fully braced PSA AR lower or the price of the same brace only. Therefore, I did buy a braced PSA AK47 to stored for future generations while just goofing off with my low quality DRACO purchased long ago.

I am in the process of understanding if my SB3 brace from any other pistol can be used for my Shockwave with minimal additional part at price $50 or lower. A braced Shockwave is a true HD gun due to lower penetration and adequate round count in a compact package.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a couple IWI Galil ACEs Pistols
Way more than $1,200
Very happy with them
I recommend them
To each their own
If I get Galil, I think I want full-size barrel but I don’t think they make braced Galil with 14-18 inches barrel. And I lobe the natural triangle stock on Galil.

Looks like I should look at PTR-91 or a pistol version if they make one with 14 inches barrel. My braces AR serves many purpose and I am thinking of adding a Grendel upper and 10 mags to meet the intermediate caliber need without the weight and weirdness of x39 rounds. My backup is AK74 but no brace or even pistol on those yet, just a standard carbine.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I got the galil and CETME. Heck if its the old style Galil I most likely did the parts kit it was built from. But the new c308 isnt a CETME. its there c308 and the lowers are built over by me in PTR inc. I love both and shoot both a lot in the training classes we do. The c308 is a ok battle rifle in .308 without breaking the bank and I simple love galils .

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
14,666 Posts
I think the CETMEs are hit and miss and I'd only buy if I could closely inspect. I own a PTR91 and it's an okay rifle with poor ergonomics and cheap basic plastic stock and forearm that will require upgrading. You'd be into the PTR91 for around $1000 by the time it's ready to use. The big benefit are cheap mags, still available for under $5 each. As far as "battle rifles" go, it's in a third tier category in my view.

I looked REALLY hard recently at the new Galil .308, when I thought I found one for 1/2 price and near new locally. They are $2000. That's a LOT of scratch for what it is. I was only considering when I could get it for a grand. The deal sadly fell thru. Anyway, I wasn't overly heartbroken. Apparently it's a good rifle but with non-removable sights, and some things suggested for upgrade. I've seen 2 locally on the used market for $1400, but for me, anything north of 1/2 retail is a hard pass. There's simply too many better less expensive platforms.

While the Galil .308 is allegedly built on the same original design, this design is not proven anywhere to my knowledge.

Alternately, you could get or build a nice AR10 for sub-$1000. Or an FAL or M1A can be found for around $1200. All are better more proven choices IMO.

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
14,666 Posts
If I get Galil, I think I want full-size barrel but I don’t think they make braced Galil with 14-18 inches barrel. And I lobe the natural triangle stock on Galil.

Looks like I should look at PTR-91 or a pistol version if they make one with 14 inches barrel. My braces AR serves many purpose and I am thinking of adding a Grendel upper and 10 mags to meet the intermediate caliber need without the weight and weirdness of x39 rounds. My backup is AK74 but no brace or even pistol on those yet, just a standard carbine.
Skip the pistol .308s. I recently watched a video demonstration where the performance was relatively anemic and the concision blast unpleasant.

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
I always like the look for the Galil and the CETME full the .308 battle rifle void but I wonder if they are any good. I see CAI CETME going for $700 after shipping and FFL but while Galil would be $1200 take home. I wonder if it is wise to let go of two DRACO to generate fund for a Galil or trade a DRACO for a CETME.
My C308 is a fine rifle for $550. Never been in battle with it but the 1000 rounds I put down range, the gongs and paper were killed dead. Reliable and accurate with any ammo - good brass, Tula, Malaysian surplus.

Break in was a PITA per manufacturers directions.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
3,098 Posts
I dont know why anyone would ever punish themself with a .308 pistol

Youre not putting the round to good use with a shorter barrel and youd get results that were just as good with the soviet 7.62x38 at that barrel length without nearly as much concussive force to disable you and others around you

·
Pusher of brooms
540 Posts
Two Cetme's have passed through my hands, both ran flawlessly, decent accuracy, kinda wish I had held onto one.

No they are not an AR, the ergonomics are different as is handling.
I keep going back and forth between the AR10 and G3 (Cetme) platform for a future build or purchase, and the G3 honestly wins most of the time.

Conversations with Whirlibird, (taken somewhat out of context) he said something that kinda opened my eyes about the AR modularity, he said modularity means nothing once you have the gun set up like you want it. You're not going to be changing hand guards every week, barrels every month, etc. He pointed to my .300BO and said you have been thinking about another upper for that, when another complete rifle is a lower and parts kit away, no need for modularity.

So yes I am considering another G3 or Cetme over other options.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I previously owned a Portuguese G3, great rifle. There are a few differences between that and the Century C308, but nothing I'm concerned about. It's a great shooter and zero malfunctions. I bought mine from Classic Firearms for a mere $550 in late 2018. Also picked up numerous steel CETME, steel G3, and aluminum G3 mags, all worked great (the CETME mags more so). I racked the bolt back around a hundred times prior to firing, zero issues.
I also picked up an Air Force surplus FLC vest and eight individual M4 mag pouches (MOLLE); each pouch with velcro closure will hold a single G3 mag. The bandolier will also hold three G3 (or M14, etc) mags.

Forget the HK slap, do this-

·
Museum Piece
312 Posts
We had a CETME, had to rebuild the trigger assy. A common problem since Century did not do all of them correctly.

Of all the semi gas guns I have fired in my life. The CETME is the most fun. It is loud and proud. The chug, chug, chug is reminds me of the M60. They look better than a HK91/93 series, (the German copy), and the recoil is WAY less, because of the wonderful wood.

My best bud bought the one we had. $500, then added $200 for the trigger job. He emailed me a few months ago to tell be he found the bayonet mount. So now he has an assault gun. It takes less than a minute to remove the land install the plug.
Stupid libtards

·
Registered
4 Posts
Back in December of 2018 IWI unloaded a bunch of .308 & 7.62x39 Galil Aces by marking them as blems. They sold on a couple different websites and they sold for $999. When everyone got them we realized there was nothing wrong with them at all. The company had just put a red stamp on the boxes.

I picked up a 16" .308 and it's quite a nice shooter. My only complaints are that it could have better sights, No one makes a replacement trigger for it (yet), and they should have just used a standard AR buffer tube so it didn't have to have a proprietary stock. That said, I don't think I would pay more than $12-1300 for one.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I have a Galil Ace rifle in 5.56 and its awesome. Milled receiver and excellent fit and finish, takes regular AR/Nato mags. I thought about the 7.62 rifle, but I did not want to stock up on proprietary mags AR10 type mags. I already have 7.62 mags for 3 different types of riles and none are AR 10 type. .

1 - 18 of 18 Posts