Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read somewhere on the Internet [and can't find it now unfortunately] that there's an old Japanese proverb that says every time you eat a new food you get 100 extra days of life, or words to that effect.

So, eat a new food, like if you've never had an MRE or Vietnamese food, or snake or whatever else you've been leery of trying.

Find something good? Tell everybody. Find something that's dreck? Ditto.

The winner: you, for trying a new food, and everybody who hears just how good snake tastes. :D:

·
Registered
431 Posts
I tried Lamb Vindaloo the other day. I asked for it spicy but think they took it easy on me. It was very flavorful, a nice combination of sweet and heat. Next time I will try the Goat Curry! I also made some radish tops, a little bitter and cooking with the radishes takes the heat out and makes them sweeter.

I have had bear, muskrat, turtle, muledeer, elk, ostrich, alligator, mudbugs, BBQd duck bill, and snake (very good).

Bobo

·
Mother of One.
234 Posts
Tried some guava the other day. I thought it was pretty good.

Oh, and I had never had spaghetti squash until a few weeks ago. That was excellent. I drowned mine in butter and ate a whole plate of it.

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
I'm fairly adventurous wrt eating new stuff. For a long time I've wondered what menudo (beef tripe soup) was like (the local Hispanics seem to like it.) About 2 weeks ago I asked for a sample from a Mexican restaraunt I frequent. I found it fairly tasteless, though I'm sure it can vary regarding the spice levels. The chucks of meat (tripe) were very tough and rubbery. I was not impressed. It wasn't upchuck bad, just not very appetizing. I wouldn't order it off a menu...

For the record I can remember eating snake soup, octopus, squid, snails, beavertail, moose, bear, buffalo, venison, grey squirrel, quail, pheasant, duck, goose, reindeer, alligator, curlew (ibis), froglegs, turtle, rabbit, wild hog conch and eel. I'm sure there are others but that's what comes to mind...

Allan

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have eaten snake, bear, boar, nilgui (a water buffalo), buffalo, squirrel, raccoon, horse, mule, dog, cat, more vegetables then I can pronounce, I eat indain and love it!, middle eastern foods, asian foods, and still my life is being cut short! hummmmmm maybe it is because of all of the foods I have eaten? ROFL! oh but I have enjoyed every bite!

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
I love trying something new! So far, I have eaten bison, ostrich, wild hog, wild turkey, deer, cow, wild rabbit, wild turtle, gator, sparrow, dove, guinea fowl, eel, sea urchin, octopus/squid, prickly pear cactus, dessert strawberries, wild grapes, wild berries, wild onions, raw and cooked clams, mussels and oysters, kimchi, meudo (love it), goat, lamb pheasant, calf fries (testicles), crickets and wild duck.

I want to try dog, monkey, snake and dolphin. Coworkers used to cringe when it was my turn to pick the place for lunch....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.