Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
SI vis pacem,para bellum
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am searching for a new folding knife manual opening 3-4 inch daily carry.I like a partially serrated Knife.The lock on my buck knife gave up time for something new.

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
Do you have a price range in mind as they run the gamut of $20 to $200+?
Is there a certain steel that you want (or don't want)?
What about handle materials--thick or thin or blade shape?
For the manual opening do you mean with the nail cutout or with a single stud on the blade?
What about locking mechanisms?
Does it have to be made in America?

Nearly every commercial knife maker has folders--CRKT, SOG, Ka-Bar, Gerber, Buck, Benchmade, Strider and the list goes on and on and on...

Best, is go into a good knife store and handle a bunch of them in your price range and what ever handles/carries the best is the one you want...

EDIT
Please stay away from those $10 Pakistani made models, the temper to the steel is horrible--they'll break, easy to sharpen though but don't hold any edge...

·
Registered
93 Posts
we definately need a price range...if your looking for affordable bomb froofness....get a ZT 0200. a good tactical EDC would be a benchmade barrage. I own both and both are awsome knives.

·
SI vis pacem,para bellum
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
///////////

I would go to 100 ---- 150 range would prefer American Made but would consider foreign.3 1/2 inch blade.I do like partial serrations. I am not going to use the knife for self defense. I work in construction I use it to cut rope open packaging Many different uses. As far as metal is concerned I don't know to much about that stuff just tell what you like about the ones you have .I was looking at the Benchmade Griptillian to give you an Idea of what I like.

·
Gone Fishin'
803 Posts
Think this might work for you. :thumb:

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=178

Spyderco Native FRN Black Blade ~ C41BBK
MSRP $109.95

length overall 7" (178mm) blade length 3 1/8" (80mm) blade steel CPM-S30V
length closed 3 15/16" (100mm) cutting edge 2 5/8" (67mm) weight 2.65oz (75.2g)
hole diameter 15/32" (12mm) blade thickness 1/8" (3mm) handle material FRN

Engineered for the human hand, the Native's ergonomic design maximizes cutting ability while minimizing discomfort and fatigue. This model is all about combining performance and comfort. Since the portion of the knife most in contact with the user is the handle, that became key while the model was in initial development on the drawing table. We've created a handle pattern with two separate finger choils. The first choil (where the blade and handle meet) allow positioning the index finger closer to the knife's sharpened edge for control over the cutting surface. Behind the first choil, the second positions the hand farther back on the folder for dexterous cutting while pushing the blade away from you. Bi-Directional Texturing molded into the FRN handle form varying levels of steps minimizing forward or backward sliding. Carved out of the locking lever is a David Boye Dent insuring the lock remains safely engaged even when gripping the handle forcefully. A section of non-sharpened serrations line the blade's spine yield an additional slip resistant point for the thumb. The blade itself is hollow-ground CPM-S30V steel with a weight reducing swedge ground from the spine. A black steel tip-up clip can be placed ambidextrously on both sides of the handle via a barrel-shaped screw that doubles as a lanyard.

*edit, can't go wrong with a Benchmade, great knives!

·
Junior Oldie
817 Posts
Griptilian would be an excellent one - I've had mine for five or six years now and it's still one of my favorites and hasn't given me an ounce of trouble.

Spydies would be good. Love my Native, but, from your description, it might be a bit short. The actual cutting surface is only about 2 1/2 inches. With a Spydie, I'd go to an Endura for the size. http://www.gpknives.com/item/spyderco-endura-4.html?osCsid=a0b9c3cd6157bc68a1f6c926f1ca9f33 Or maybe a Stretch http://www.gpknives.com/item/spyder....html?osCsid=a0b9c3cd6157bc68a1f6c926f1ca9f33 Both of those are VG10 and 3.5+" so they would do the job.

Really, if you stick to the big brands, it's hard to go wrong. I find it's not the blade's size or material (as long as it's decent steel) that make me dislike a knife as much as the shape of the blade and handle. Find one you like the looks of and from a reputable brand and go for it.

·
Forum Administrator
16,846 Posts
Take a look at the Klein series of knives, they are made by the people that make klein tools.

My daily carry is a Klein Tools knife with about a 2 3/4 inch blade. It holds and edge well and is easy to sharpen.

·
SI vis pacem,para bellum
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the help made the order this morning ordered Spyderco Endura ,Benchmade Griptillian and 0 Tolerance ZTO200KW.I will find out how good these knives, are my wife
is going to stab me with each one when she See's the bill. Some more stuff to put in storage if things go bad.

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,428 Posts
I am searching for a new folding knife manual opening 3-4 inch daily carry.I like a partially serrated Knife.The lock on my buck knife gave up time for something new.
No matter what you get, send your Buck back to Buck (say that 3 times fast) and they will fix or replace it. It only costs the price of shipping to get it done. Lifetime warranty.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts