Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
That'll be the day...
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a 'One Owner' FJ for a smoking deal and jumped on it. My other rigs are diesel, so I thought it smart to have a gasser that is capable. I put 100 miles on it today and this little 4x4 is really, really capable and very happy with my purchase.

·
Bugged out already
4,184 Posts
Those are very popular up here. Very capable and reliable vehicle that should give you many years of enjoyment. Congratulations

Reactions: Arch Stanton

·
Registered
169 Posts
you goota feel like i do - someone gives a post and i wish i knew where they live - anybody feel the same

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
10,812 Posts
One of my sons had one and loved it. He drove it out to Vegas and then flew back and forth on long weekends and explored the West and Northwest. He put 10K on it and then drove it back to Ohio. It was problem free but he took it to our family mechanic and he sadly informed him the the frame was starting to rot.

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,987 Posts
you goota feel like i do - someone gives a post and i wish i knew where they live - anybody feel the same
THAT is why I did the geography thing in the general section.
So many people talking about where they are without really mentioning WHERE they ARE.

·
Registered
9,908 Posts
Ive always liked their look. The only real knock I've heard against them is they are hard to see out of offroading.

The new Broncos look very similar, but the top comes off of those. Maybe I should look into one when my wife is done with the minivan. Minivans haul soo much stuff. She likes comfort, I like 4x4 capability.

The old school Toyota FJ cruisers are getting really expensive. So if you take care of it, you may see an increase in value.

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
10,812 Posts
My dream has always been to own a 78 Land Cruiser FJ55. We almost bought one in 1978 but decided on a smaller car since my wife was just learning how to drive and wanted a car that would be easier to park. Two Tone. with the roof carrier.

A bit out of my price range these days.

·
Registered
5,964 Posts
Found a 'One Owner' FJ for a smoking deal and jumped on it. My other rigs are diesel, so I thought it smart to have a gasser that is capable. I put 100 miles on it today and this little 4x4 is really, really capable and very happy with my purchase.

Nice. Been looking at thrm. Could you PM me the price you got it for?

·
That'll be the day...
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't mind sharing my pricing knowledge. I searched Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist for weeks. I would really have loved a low mileage 2014, but those dudes are going for $28k-$36k with 75-100k miles on them. I found a couple of 2007-2010 in the Denver, Salt Lake, Albuquerque and Phoenix areas that were in the 140k-200k mileage range that were $15k-$18k and most of them had been modified and off-roaded.

I eventually settled on a 2007 with 218k miles, single owner (older couple), never off-roaded and completely stock, except for some Bilsteins up front. Mechanically, my FJ is absolutely rock solid. There are some paint scratches and a couple of dings and a little UV burn on the clear coat. The engine is solid with no leaks, the tranny is tight and shifts smoothly and the rig has no rattles or squeaks. The interior is spectacular. If we want, we can drop $500 on a paint job and this one will be awesome.

We paid $11,900. $12,700 out the door.

·
Dirt Dweller
639 Posts
Really cool look ride and very very capable off road. I have no idea why they were discontinued. Nice purchase.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Congrats Big John, I love mine and have done some pretty good level 6-7 trails. I love the Atrax and locker. I've run some tools out off of my power converter plug out the back too.

Yeah, I named it: Blue Crush

Some pics from FJ offroad events

·
That'll be the day...
3,885 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We won't be doing any nasty, serious off-roading, but we will be exploring the Western Slope of Colorado, namely the San Juans to the south of us. All our rigs are diesels... so I just thought it smart to get a capable gasser to keep in the hip pocket.

·
Premium Member
804 Posts

·
Bear Fighter
1,605 Posts
Jellybeans...
That's what we call 'em around here too. I can't vouch for their capabilities, but I've seen them in lots of places, so they must be.

I thought about one when they first came out, but being a man of larger carriage (who barely fits in a Jeep), I've never found a rig from the Land of the Rising Sun that had enough legroom for my 36 inch inseam.

I hope you enjoy it!

·
Registered
2,710 Posts

that looks like the El Rito area.
did you get it in NM?

good catch BTW.

when I tried to buy one about 8 years ago, they wanted WWWWAAAAYYYYYYYY more that what I could afford.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts