Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new to firearms ownership (not use, I was a Tanker in the US Army). I just purchased a Century Arms WASR 10 AK-47 and a Desert Eagle .50AE. What range could I effectively hunt bucks in Michigan? hogs? turkey? Never hunted game before. EVER. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
559 Posts
You might want to purchase some proper hunting firearms. Do you have a hunting license yet?

Your WASR could be used inside 100 yards for deer and hogs and the 50 AE ballistics are unknown to me but how accurate are you with it out to a 75 yards? I imagine that it could also be used on deer and pigs.

Both guns are not suitable for Turkey.

·
Registered
191 Posts
50 AE ballistics are unknown to me but how accurate are you with it out to a 75 yards?
As if, its 25yards max. Its slightly better than a 44 magnum from short barrel. Its basically a bear-stopper but not of much practical use than barely concealable firepower. Sounds like a fungun though :thumb:

Also, grip the DE with two hands or you risk fracturing a bone or spraining a rist, that’s what i heard.

I'd suggest a compensator, for either of the guns, it doesn’t effect accuracy, only noise and direction of recoil backwards instead of upwards, however i haven’t seen anyone selling them for the DE, but i do know they exist.

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
If you can shoot it good...the DE will work on short range Bear, Hogs or deer. Thats about it. Its more of a fun gun to score cool points at the range than a praticle working gun for defense or hunting pistol.

The WASR-10 will work as a hunting rifle out to 100 fairly well against game deer sized or small black bear and hogs. With my gun I can easily ring the 12" gong at 150 yards all day long. You will have about the same range and close to the same stopping power of a 30-30 lever action rifle. Its not an optimal hunting gun but it will work and its usually legal although you may have to get a 5 round magazine for it to hunt. Of course in a survival situation who cares if you got a 5 round magazine or 10!

For turkey...get a 12 gauge shot gun! Either of the two guns you have wont leave much of anything left unless you are lucky enough to shoot really well and get it in close and get a head shot. Dont know how stupid Turkey are in your neck of the woods but the ones here in Texas have a built in sensor to tell them when they are getting into the 40 yard mark and in shotgun or Bow range here! So much for being stupid birds!!!

·
Registered
631 Posts
You might want to purchase some proper hunting firearms. Do you have a hunting license yet?
What is a proper hunting firearm? There is nothing wrong with either caliber this person has picked out. I have taken deer with the 7.62x39 and it does a great job no problem there. Was this a proper hunting firearm?
I see many folks come on this site to get information and only get flamed. This is a place to learn. Had the poster wanted to use a .25 ACP baby browning and a pellet rifle to deer hunt with then we could help lead them in a better direction.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
If you wanted to hunt bucks in Michigan,you should have bought a good inline for hunting in the southern half,or a good centerfire rifle for hunting the north.I would sell that 50 AE in a heartbeat. And go buy a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington...

·
Registered
559 Posts
What is a proper hunting firearm? There is nothing wrong with either caliber this person has picked out. I have taken deer with the 7.62x39 and it does a great job no problem there. Was this a proper hunting firearm?
I see many folks come on this site to get information and only get flamed. This is a place to learn. Had the poster wanted to use a .25 ACP baby browning and a pellet rifle to deer hunt with then we could help lead them in a better direction.
Actually modern pellet rifles have killed bison and long ago they were even used on the Lewis And Clark expedition.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you wanted to hunt bucks in Michigan,you should have bought a good inline for hunting in the southern half,or a good centerfire rifle for hunting the north.I would sell that 50 AE in a heartbeat. And go buy a Marlin 336 in .35 Remington...
Thanks for a hunting rifle recommendation. Didn't really buy the 50 AE for hunting. I just always wanted one. I appreciate everyone's input since I just joined this board.

·
Registered
5,801 Posts
You can have some hunting success if you can actually shoot it accurately...thats just a lot of pistol for your average Joe, that doesnt mean you cant though.

325 gr HP travelling at 1400fps at the muzzle and still booking along at 1209 at 50 yards, its packing 1414 fpe at the muzzle and 1055 fpe at 50 yards, the 50 AE aint no chump! Thats some stout figures thats more than adequate for a Hog or Black Bear and if you can sucker a deer in close from a stand, then they are on the menu too!

Im just saying that while its a worthy tool for the job, there is often better tools for the job at times.

·
Part Terminator
499 Posts
You say your a NEW GUN OWNER. I'm going to come out and point out the 800lb Gorilla in the room.. (Metaphorically speaking) If you have never shot a Gun in your LIFE.. I would get to know how to use them properly. Not to come off as an A$$ Hole but gun safety is a must. There are WAY to many people who get hart or killed just by people why are not safe with them.

( Now that the Father side of me has relaxed )

The Ak makes for a grate Hog gun I use mine in Truxton New York. As for Deer ?? You could take down a deer with one, I have. But Black beer is pushing it. Can say much for the .50 Cal. ..

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
As if, its 25yards max. Its slightly better than a 44 magnum from short barrel. Its basically a bear-stopper but not of much practical use than barely concealable firepower. Sounds like a fungun though :thumb:

Also, grip the DE with two hands or you risk fracturing a bone or spraining a rist, that’s what i heard.

I'd suggest a compensator, for either of the guns, it doesn’t effect accuracy, only noise and direction of recoil backwards instead of upwards, however i haven’t seen anyone selling them for the DE, but i do know they exist.
wrong again Smarty... man you need to learn about guns...

The 50 AE is good for 50 to 75 yds, 100 if you are good with it, same as with the WASR. Ignore Smarty, He is in England and has no practical firearms knowledge only what he was told and sadly, most of that has been proven to be wrong.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
You say your a NEW GUN OWNER. I'm going to come out and point out the 800lb Gorilla in the room.. (Metaphorically speaking) If you have never shot a Gun in your LIFE.. I would get to know how to use them properly. Not to come off as an A$$ Hole but gun safety is a must. There are WAY to many people who get hart or killed just by people why are not safe with them.

( Now that the Father side of me has relaxed )

The Ak makes for a grate Hog gun I use mine in Truxton New York. As for Deer ?? You could take down a deer with one, I have. But Black beer is pushing it. Can say much for the .50 Cal. ..
The AK is about the same as a .30-30 powerwise, and a helluva lot of blackbear have fallen to the .30-30.

:zombie

·
Part Terminator
499 Posts
The AK is about the same as a .30-30 powerwise, and a helluva lot of blackbear have fallen to the .30-30.

:zombie
I know you can take down a Black Bear with an Ak or a .30-.30. I would rather use my 30-06 for the range i'm at shooting the bear which is to far for the Ak or .30-30 to be an ethical one shot kill. That and if you hit the Bear wrong they well eat you if you are close. I have seen a pissed off Bear when I was in the Black Hills in South Dakota, thank god we where right next to the truck and got the hell out. :eek:

We have them in the Adirondacks or Catskills here in New York.:thumb:

·
Behind Enemy Lines
776 Posts
Many,many bears in the adirondacks.
Even if youre camping, pretty good chance you'll see one.

As for the OP, get yourself a new firearms suited for hunting. Depending on what you shoot, you can go from a Marlin 336 or a Ruger 10/22 to a 12 or even 10 gauge.
Maybe youre more into rifles, I'm not too sure. Thats for you to decide.

·
Major League Infidel
435 Posts
7.62/ 308 i s a great cal to use for hunting. you can take down lots of game. I'd lose the 50 and pick up a rem 700 308 its basically the m24 Siper rifle i use. with the exception of the $3k leuapold mark stevens scope which nobody can get. you can buy them at walmart for 400 or so more if you get the heavy barrel. which i would recomend. Ive droped targets 1100 meters away. 500-800 isnt hard for the typical shooter. If you can shoot 300-350 meter targets with an m4-m16. it wount take but a few times with a rifle and some dope and you could shoot a deer 500 meters.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.