Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Downloads: A new file has been added by sksdoc:

How To Win In Hand To Hand Fighting.pdf

The method of hand-to-hand fighting described in this book is the approved standard instruction for all members of His Majesty's forces. The Commandos,
and parachute troops, harrying the invasion coasts of Europe, have been thoroughly trained in its use. Britain's two-million Home Guard are daily being
instructed in its simple but terrible effectiveness. The units of the United States Marine Corps who were stationed in China between 1927 and 1940 learned these methods at my own hands when I was Assistant Commissioner of the Shanghai Municipal Police. There will be some who will be shocked by the methods advocated here. To them I say "In war you cannot afford the luxury of squeamishness. Either you kill or capture, or you will be captured or killed.

·
Go to guy
661 Posts
There are many styles out there. Each has its pro's and con's. This one looks like a MMA but with more discipline.

·
AAAH GET TO ZE CHOPPA!
1,554 Posts
Don't "fight" with someone; thinking in terms of getting "locked" into an engagement with someone can give you tunnel vision.

Mindset is a HUGE component of surviving an encounter. Everything else is just knowing what squishy bits to strike, and practicing enough so that you can hit them when panicked. If you are defending yourself with a mindset of "omg please don't hurt me" you are up a crick.

Take some defense classes or a martial art that practices situations where you are put out of your comfort zone and someone is seriously invading your space. "Sparring" can be good, but be wary of martial arts that are prone to emphasizing sport and choreography if your focus is on defense. Look for techniques that are simple and ugly. If you can't do it with mitten hands and in the middle of an adrenaline dump, then it won't serve you well in self-defense without a LOT of training behind it.

Sorry biased rant over... It's good you are being proactive about defending yourself and researching it. Just PRACTICE what you researched; it always looks great on paper but may not work well given your body type and athletic ability.

Reactions: monet108

·
Registered
79 Posts
A friendly nonconfrontational and submissive manner will get you close enough to nearly anyone to cut their throat, Groin artery or inner arm artery. Those who fight hard expend energy that they may need later to survive something else.

Scotty

·
Registered
64 Posts
best hand to hand

The best hand to hand in my opinion would be current mma school of training. I've done boxing, karate, tae kwon do, kick boxing and just recently competed in a amateur mma fight. I stunned the guy several times with hard right hands but he would tie me and and take me down to the ground. Ground fighting is not my thing so I would I spend the next 40 sec fighting to keep from locked of choked out. He won but they were cleaning alot of his blood in between rounds. I used to bounce when I was younger and these guys who are doing the mma are way tougher then your average boxer, martial artist, hockey, wrestler or street fighter.

·
Registered
648 Posts
The best hand to hand in my opinion would be current mma school of training. I've done boxing, karate, tae kwon do, kick boxing and just recently competed in a amateur mma fight. I stunned the guy several times with hard right hands but he would tie me and and take me down to the ground. Ground fighting is not my thing so I would I spend the next 40 sec fighting to keep from locked of choked out. He won but they were cleaning alot of his blood in between rounds. I used to bounce when I was younger and these guys who are doing the mma are way tougher then your average boxer, martial artist, hockey, wrestler or street fighter.
this is a pretty good post. i think i can add to it too. i trained a bit of 'mma' back when it was still called 'nhb' and used to be a doorman and work in nightclubs for four years. ive truthfully been in more fights/altercations/assaults than most people and walked around thinking i was a hero for way too long.

mixed martial arts is a very effective method of training because they use what works and throw out what doesnt. there are combat sport athletes that are as tought as mixed martial artists, they just do not train themselves in all ranges of combat and their specialization in certain areas creates weaknesses in other areas.

hard sparring of full contact striking styles such as boxing, muay thai, western kickboxing and karate combined with effective proven grappling methods of collegiate wrestling, judo, brazillian jiu jitsu has been proven in the cage for almost 100 events now. it is no coincidence that most of the techniques are the same as that the roman gladiators used. 'mato leo' (rear naked choke) roughly translates to lion-kill choke.

it is amazing how many people i still come across that still tout their chi powers or kata mastery. i sometimes wonder if they have been living in a cave on the dark side of the moon with their eyes closed and their fingers in their ears.

·
Registered
648 Posts
i should add that mixed martial arts lacks weapon defences and dealing with multiple opponents. it also can breed some bad habits on the mats that dont cross over to the streets.

anybody that has spent some time in the guard or done a double leg on pavement would probably agree with me.

i am possibly going to take a close quarters combat course when i finish my last ten weeks of trade school. it focuses a lot on firearms, but it does cover edged and impact weapons.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I have read this book before. When you read books like this it helps to have a LOT of martial arts experience so that you have a healthy BS detector when it comes to spotting low percentage techniques. By which I mean techniques that have a low percentage of working. As apposed to high percentage techniques, that are simple and effective.

There are good techniques in the book. Such as the match book technique. The matchbook could easily be replaced with a modern day cell pone, and the technique could be applied while both parties are seated in a vehicle.

But the book has low percentage techniques also.

The danger is for people with little or no experience reading the book and assuming that it is all really great effective stuff, because real soldiers used to train it in.

Training is always updated. The book is dated. If you know what to look for you can find good stuff in old books like this one. In my humble opinion. :D:

·
Banned
426 Posts
Hey guys. I am new, and this is actually, I believe, my first post. It always interests me when people discuss fighting, because the fact of the matter is, we really can't. There is no "system" of fighting, per say, because when it gets physical, most techniques disappear, and it becomes a matter of survival. Now, of course, muscle memory plays a part, and if confronted with a situation you've practiced hundreds of times, you will know how to react. But what happens when your knock out punch response doesn't knock the assailant out? What happens when your rear naked choke doesn;t work because your getting your head kicked in by the guys friends? Ground fighting? Forget it. Will never work in a club, bar, or park surrounded by the opponents friends. What about fighting on gravel, or in some alley with broken glass on the floor? Fighting from your back might not be in your best interest. As for traditional arts like Karate and Tae Kwon Do? There is a world of difference between point fighting and real fighting, and while elbows, knees, and other such strikes are taught, they aren't really practiced, and thus won;t be used in an instictual situation. I've done both mma and traditional martial arts, and in the end, they are arts/sports. Not real. There is noone sticking a finger in your eye while is "trapped" in your guard, or biting a chunk off your leg while you do your armbar. There's noone pulling a knife out of their pockets andcutting you up while in the clinch or rolling on the mat. Noone attacks you all at once while giving a demonstration of the effectiveness of your kata techniques. Just a choroegraphed dance. Now, don't get me wrong, I am not knocking ANY system. They all serve a purpose, and are all effective within the realm they are practiced. We just all need to realize it is not the art that makes the person, it is the person that makes the art. Bruce Lee would probably still be Bruce Lee if he had studied Brazilian Jujitsu instead of Wing Chun. Royce gracie probably would still be Royce gracie if he had studied Karate. The will to win, or more importantly, survive, matters more then any set system. That and some dirty fighting as well. LittleMiss9419's post reminded me of something. In the Indiana Jones movie, Raiders of the Lost Ark, the guy comes at him swinging his sword, putting on an impressive display of his talent and ability, only to be quickly and decisively beaten by Indie shooting him. My point is, when it comes to self defense, think outside the box. Awareness is the most important aspect of self defense. If one can avoid getting into a difficult situation, he/she is a step ahead of the game. If all else fails, use what you can. Purse, wallet, spare change, cell phone, keys, teeth, head, whatever. Bite, scratch, kick, punch, head butt, deliver low blows, pull hair, whatever. Use psychology. Out crazy the crazy, out creepy the creepy.

·
Jihaadi GoBOOM
5,365 Posts
Agree with white bear. My dad was a Marine DI, taught me to NEVER fight. Walk away, run, or it it's an absolutely unavoidable life threatening situation, get in close for a kill on the first hit. Real life close combat is not like in the movies. YMMV, but works for me.

·
Registered
14,867 Posts
I currently train and fight in MMA at an amateur level (amateur does not mean novice, simply not professional). MMA lacks some elements of a street confrontation however is better than 90% of the junk systems out there. Jujitsu + muay Thai or boxing = success in learning how to fight

·
Banned
426 Posts
Another thing to think about. Self defense does not equal fighting. Fighting is two people engaging in a physical altercation. Self defense is usually one person being attacked or being forced into a physical confrontation. An antagonist approaches me on the street, tries to mug me, I push him away, and we square off. That is a fight. It may not have started out as such, but at one point, I accepted the fact that this is going to get physical, and thought "OK, let's do this." In another scenerio, an antagonist approaches me, tries to mug me, I push him away, and leave. He continues to attack, I jab my thumb in his eye, incapacitate him, and run. I did NOT want to engage him,a nd did all in my power to avoid it. This is not a fight, this is self defense. These two terms are often confused, or used synonomously, but they really are two diffferent things. In a Boxing ring, BJJ mat, Karate dojo, you go into a situation knowing you are going to fight, are usually going to be facing someone who fights the same way (the days of MMA fights against different styles have long been over) , and to varying degrees are prepared for it. In a self defense situation, 9 times out of 10, you are not prepared and have to improvise. Winning in the street is irrelevent. Making it home to the wife and kids in one piece is all that matters. Glory in a real fight os found in being able to lay down at night, safe in the knowledge that you made it through another day.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
In the Indiana Jones movie, Raiders of the Lost Ark, the guy comes at him swinging his sword, putting on an impressive display of his talent and ability, only to be quickly and decisively beaten by Indie shooting him. My point is, when it comes to self defense, think outside the box.
It's just a movie.
In real life the guy with a sword isn't that stupid. He waits for Indiana Jones around the corner and slashes it across Jones head before Jones even manages to bring the S&W out of the holster.
But that doesn't make for a fun movie.
Also, for those that plan on replacing H2H combat with a gun, at contact range the best H2H fighter wins, the gun doesn't count much.

FerFAL

1 - 20 of 34 Posts