Survivalist Forum banner

61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
It’s funny ... a lot of people told me to run away from the SCCY pistol. They were dirt cheap before the panic. The guys at the LGS advised any other gun. I bought a Taurus anyways. I have a couple Taurus pistols and they operate well ... especially for the price.

Have you gone to the store and tried a few of the models you were considering? My local stores will let you try the gun in a holster in the store. They prefer you use their guns so they know it’s safe and clear though.

Good luck! A lot of people carry a single gun all year but some change with the seasons so it’s always a struggle haha

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I thought I posted but must have been a different thread.

I was at a gun show a couple months ago probably, saw a SCCY (pronounced sky, which I didn't know)
$200, which was pre covid prices so I grabbed it. CPX 2, that's the one seems like people have had really good luck with.

Right out of the box I had the usual, common sights are way off problem. Didn't like the flat trigger but it was manageable. It actually felt really good to shoot. 10 rounds vs 7 or 8 was kind of weird. But fit the hand well, recoil was decent.

first tried to get the sights correct. Got them close but not nearly as accurate as the S&W shield or the Ruger EC9. At least not yet.

I ordered the galloway precision stuff, short stroke trigger, recoil spring and grips.

the short stroke kit needed some fitting. Finally got it all together and took it to the range.
trigger pull is horrendous with the short stroke kit. fells like 25 pounds. I have no way to measure it but never held a gun that stiff. It started getting better after 100 rounds. I may be able to massage it with a file a little bit yet.

But the accuracy is all over the place at 10 yards. Not even sure I hit paper at 20.

I have been screwing around with this thing for a month trying to get comfortable enough to carry. I can't do it. Saturday after leaving the range I was convinced I was going to sell it. It is worthless to me.
But now I have calmed down, not sure what the future is with it, but it will never be a EDC for me.

If I can't pull it and hit a 20 inch circle at 20 yards I have no confidence in it. Have gotten rid of other guns for the same reason.

Maybe I got a bad one? I have not had time to research if other people had this same problem.

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
14,147 Posts

I was at a gun show a couple months ago probably, saw a SCCY (pronounced sky, which I didn't know)
$200, which was pre covid prices so I grabbed it. CPX 2, that's the one seems like people have had really good luck with.

Right out of the box I had the usual, common sights are way off problem. Didn't like the flat trigger but it was manageable. It actually felt really good to shoot. 10 rounds vs 7 or 8 was kind of weird. But fit the hand well, recoil was decent.

first tried to get the sights correct. Got them close but not nearly as accurate as the S&W shield or the Ruger EC9. At least not yet.

I ordered the galloway precision stuff, short stroke trigger, recoil spring and grips.

the short stroke kit needed some fitting. Finally got it all together and took it to the range.
trigger pull is horrendous with the short stroke kit. fells like 25 pounds. I have no way to measure it but never held a gun that stiff. It started getting better after 100 rounds. I may be able to massage it with a file a little bit yet.

But the accuracy is all over the place at 10 yards. Not even sure I hit paper at 20.

I have been screwing around with this thing for a month trying to get comfortable enough to carry. I can't do it. Saturday after leaving the range I was convinced I was going to sell it. It is worthless to me.
But now I have calmed down, not sure what the future is with it, but it will never be a EDC for me.

If I can't pull it and hit a 20 inch circle at 20 yards I have no confidence in it. Have gotten rid of other guns for the same reason.

Maybe I got a bad one? I have not had time to research if other people had this same problem.
OP, join the club. This is the ecosystem cycle that most of us have gone through.

1. The pursuit of a diminutive high capacity firearm.
2. Others recommend against it.
3. We ignore recommendations and get one anyway.
4. We shoot it ourselves and find that its atrocious as others said it would be.
5. We abandon it as impractical, too snappy, or terrible trigger or design flaws or unreliability.
6. We return to the drawing board or to our prior gun that was totally fine.

For me it was a Keltec .380. I haven't carried it in years and only shot it once in the last decade... terrible trigger, horrible recoil, no slide lock on last shot, terrible sights, inaccurate beyond throwing distance.

Stick with a subcompact or compact from a reputable maker and design, like your SW Shield. It's all you're likely to ever need.

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts

OP, join the club. This is the ecosystem cycle that most of us have gone through.

1. The pursuit of a diminutive high capacity firearm.
2. Others recommend against it.
3. We ignore recommendations and get one anyway.
4. We shoot it ourselves and find that its atrocious as others said it would be.
5. We abandon it as impractical, too snappy, or terrible trigger or design flaws or unreliability.
6. We return to the drawing board or to our prior gun that was totally fine.

For me it was a Keltec .380. I haven't carried it in years and only shot it once in the last decade... terrible trigger, horrible recoil, no slide lock on last shot, terrible sights, inaccurate beyond throwing distance.

Stick with a subcompact or compact from a reputable maker and design, like your SW Shield. It's all you're likely to ever need.
I think small size , slightly heavier is the way to go.

I like my PPS m2. It’s not much bigger than my keltec pf9 BUT it’s 20oz to the keltec’s 12 oz. the PF9 is worse than 357 magnum in a snub nose , much worse. The PPS is much better than 38 special in a snub nose.

61 - 64 of 64 Posts