Survivalist Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
6,939 Posts
I'll get dumped on but I like my Diamondback DB9. Can't claim it has been trouble free but it has gotten a lot better since I found ammo it likes and have broken it in more and more important gotten use to how to shoot a little auto. Small pistols are finicky, even the vaunted Sig has complaints. Funny to me recoil feels less than my S&W 642 also.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
since I found ammo it likes
That is actually a pretty important thing.

had a little MPA (masterpiece arms) 380. Nice solid little gun. The manufacturer had an updated trigger group and return spring.

Decent shooter but very picky about ammo. Once we found an ammo that worked reliably in the gun we stored that ammo with it. Kind of weird but it worked.

Looking back now I wonder about polishing the feed ramp or playing with the magazine if we could have fixed some of those issues.
Oh well it is gone now.

But "cheap" guns are fine. Lots of times you can make big improvents with little work too.

·
Registered
319 Posts
[/
Reliability is for me the most important, This Sphinx is still "going strong" after decades

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
15,616 Posts
There was a time that it made sense to buy an "Off Brand" pistol, if you were short on cash. I still have a Kel-Tek that I'm trying to sell.
But with most of these you have to live with poor warranty support, high priced parts and magazines, and often they are picky about ammo.

It made sense till the Cops dumped tens of thousands of used 9mm and 40 cal pistols, many after factory refirbishment. These are mostly service pistols from Glock, Sig, and Smith, with 4 inch barrels, and double stock mags. These guns enjoy strong warranty support, parts and magazines are reasonable, and they damn sure not picky about ammo.

A couple yrs ago Ruger came out with the LC9s. It is not a service pistol, more of a pocket sized 9mm. It features a single stack 7 rd mag, a 3.1" barrel, and it weighs just over a pound. But the best part about these is they feed absolutely everything. Ball ammo, hollow points, even non standard handloads. I still find these little Rugers available in my area, and the budget priced version (EC9s) costs just over $200.

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
I was all ready to dump my Ruger LC9S Pro when I got my Sig P365.
Well the Sig stays in the safe and I pocket carry my Ruger. I can reliably hit my 25yd backyard gong with my Ruger.

Tried wearing the Sig in a belt holster. The texture of the grip rubbed my skin raw under an un-tucked shirt. The Sig is a just little too heavy for pocket carry.

Trying to unload my high dollar ammo (HST & GD) from the Sig magazines, I find the cartridges stick in the mag, making it almost impossible to get them out by hand. That's happened a couple times now.

·
Registered
529 Posts
A couple yrs ago Ruger came out with the LC9s. It is not a service pistol, more of a pocket sized 9mm. It features a single stack 7 rd mag, a 3.1" barrel, and it weighs just over a pound. But the best part about these is they feed absolutely everything. Ball ammo, hollow points, even non standard handloads. I still find these little Rugers available in my area, and the budget priced version (EC9s) costs just over $200.[/QUOTE]

I picked up a LC9s with night sights year or two ago,first serious carry gun I ever bought,and I gotta say for 2 or 3 times the money it would be tuff to beat,awsome trigger,extremly accurate ,light and easy to carry.
I'm a revolver guy, but carry it a lot when haying because it is so small and light and I can shoot it fairly well,its put a few bunnies and squirrels in the skillet off tractor while haying,for conceal carry the 7 round mag is what i use,for wanting something light and small when working on farm i put extended mag in it and the extra length of extended mag makes it bunny/squirrel accurate at 20 plus yards.

not headshot accurate for me at 20 yards but body shot accurate and for small pistol thats not bad

·
Registered
34,350 Posts

It made sense till the Cops dumped tens of thousands of used 9mm and 40 cal pistols, many after factory refirbishment. These are mostly service pistols from Glock, Sig, and Smith, with 4 inch barrels, and double stock mags. These guns enjoy strong warranty support, parts and magazines are reasonable, and they damn sure not picky about ammo.

A couple yrs ago Ruger came out with the LC9s. It is not a service pistol, more of a pocket sized 9mm. It features a single stack 7 rd mag, a 3.1" barrel, and it weighs just over a pound. But the best part about these is they feed absolutely everything. Ball ammo, hollow points, even non standard handloads. I still find these little Rugers available in my area, and the budget priced version (EC9s) costs just over $200.
last year I was picking up private sale gen 2 and gen 3 G22's for $350, $330, $300 and even a few gen 2's for $280

I stashed them EVERYWHERE. (I am somewhat.... Compulsive of deals.)

Picked up a bunch of $35 9mm barrels and...

Although I prefer the shield in .40 I also agree about the LC/EC9. I picked up a small stack for $200-$250 in the same time frame, and many previously reluctant women in my life are now walking around with them. (The $250 one came with 8 mags.)

There have been so many good inexpensive guns it's foolish to use a SKKY etc.

·
Registered
8,291 Posts
Shot some more with both my Sig P365 and Ruger LC9S Pro yesterday. I'm better with the Ruger than the Sig.

At 25yds I have not problems hitting my gongs with the Ruger. Not so with the Sig.

The nose diving JHP in the mag issue w/ the Sig is still there but doesn't seem to be a problem when shooting.

Side note:

Posted this before, I think, but bought a Glock 27 off a buddy for $400. It came with 3 x 9rd mags and 1 x 13rd mag. Plan was to drop a 9mm barrel into it.

Picked up some 165gr FMJ 40SW for it and...

Damn-it, I'm finding I really like it.

I have 1/2 case of Fiocchi 10mm (450rds), might see if I can swap it with someone for 40SW.

·
What hell, pay attention
7,910 Posts
Side note:

Posted this before, I think, but bought a Glock 27 off a buddy for $400. It came with 3 x 9rd mags and 1 x 13rd mag. Plan was to drop a 9mm barrel into it.

Picked up some 165gr FMJ 40SW for it and...

Damn-it, I'm finding I really like it.

I have 1/2 case of Fiocchi 10mm (450rds), might see if I can swap it with someone for 40SW.
Once I realized I could easily carry my 26's where I was carrying things like my Seecamps, LCP's, etc, in the past, they have taken over that spot in the inventory for use.

And why wouldnt they? They "comfortably and easily" shoot very much like a full sized gun, and at the same distances, can use the same mags as the full size guns, effectively being one if needed. If somehow I could only have "one" handgun, the 26 would be the one.

Right now, its the best BUG Ive got and use.

·
Registered
571 Posts
As others have said get what you shoot well by testing rental guns at the range, not just "what fits your hand well". Also buy the best gun you can, I don't trust my life to a Taurus because I know they have more issues than other slightly more expensive options and that's not open for debate. If you meet anyone that tries to argue a Taurus is "just as good" as an HK, Glock, Smith, etc, run don't walk away from them.

My only piece of advice is aside from laziness everyone can carry and conceal a much larger gun than we think. When the recent unpleasantness hit I began carrying my Glock 45 (new 9mm model with 17 length grip) with a weapon mounted light IWB and I'm a fit guy that doesn't wear ridiculous "shoot me first" clothes like photography vests and no one has noticed anymore than when I've carried more compact guns.

·
What hell, pay attention
7,910 Posts
As others have said get what you shoot well by testing rental guns at the range, not just "what fits your hand well". Also buy the best gun you can, I don't trust my life to a Taurus because I know they have more issues than other slightly more expensive options and that's not open for debate. If you meet anyone that tries to argue a Taurus is "just as good" as an HK, Glock, Smith, etc, run don't walk away from them.

My only piece of advice is aside from laziness everyone can carry and conceal a much larger gun than we think. When the recent unpleasantness hit I began carrying my Glock 45 (new 9mm model with 17 length grip) with a weapon mounted light IWB and I'm a fit guy that doesn't wear ridiculous "shoot me first" clothes like photography vests and no one has noticed anymore than when I've carried more compact guns.
Agree 110% on carrying a full size gun.

Yet, youre constantly told, its not possible, and usually from someone who has a third line BUG in their pocket.

This isnt about "cant", its about "want". If you dont want to, thats fine, just be honest about it, and especially with yourself, in your choice. Is the gun you carry, the one you shoot best with? If not, why?

After all, youre carrying a gun for a serious reason, right?

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts

I Own a 709. It’s my wife’s gun. I’ll prolly replace it because the trigger is awful. But it’s been reliable.

I’m starting to think the g2c ( and likely the g3c) are reliable guns. I keep getting good feedback from trusted you tubers ( not shills ) and people on forums etc. I think Taurus May have gotten it right finally.

That said I carry a walther , a Springfield xdm or a Glock. And I’m considering a sig.

I’d Prolly trust a g2c that I’d shot a little over a new glock out of the box never fired.

I do have a keltec Pf9 . It’s a backup gun that usually lives in a safe Box in my Van. It’s a GHB gun. At 12 Oz it’s no fun to shoot 9mm our of. And it’s not the most reliable gun I’ve owned either.

·
Midwest Born
866 Posts
Good points, all of them.

I agree it has to work. I generally conceal both the S&W or the LC380. I have and had others but nothing as dependable or accurate as these have been. One of them are on or near me all the time.

I am a mechanic by trade. That means lots of crawling up and rolling around under. Whether it be in the shop or along side the road. These guns get scrapped up, beat up, dropped, soaked in stuff. Water, gas, oil, diesel.
This also means the holsters I use are often soft, flexible. As with anything you get comfortable and forget you even have it on.

When you are road side and traffic is flying by 100 mph, or you are rolling around in a mud puddle or snow. Checking to see if your firearm is present is the last thought on your mind.

So I have the option of leaving it in the truck, which in many scenarios can easily be stolen or keep it on me and it gets beat up and potentially falls into a snow bank and lost.

The 380 is awesome but as I feel it is pretty beat up and time to replace it again I would like something in 9mm and easier to carry than the S&W. I would like to reduce the number of calibers I have laying around.

Kind of looking at the SCCY 9mm but I just don't know.
I would suggest the STAR BM. its a 1911 officer sized 9mm, 7 rnd mag. its all steel, flat and easy to carry if a bit heavy. mine has taken bumps, smacks, dirt and still rolls on. you can get them for around $230 bucks. they haven't been made in a few decades but plenty so surplus ones are still knocking around, having served European police agencies, mainly Spain, for decades.

if your not familiar, STAR was the handgun manufacturer for Spain and turned out some excellent firearms for decades. mine has served as a truck gun for years. easy to shoot, and not a lot of bills

41 - 60 of 64 Posts