Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I actually picked up a EC9s on Saturday. Took it to the range and I loved it. Right out of the box. ran a bunch of different ammos through it. Only once if failed to feed properly and it didn't load the last round out of the clip. Slide locked open but there was one round in the clip yet.
Before i bought it I was shopping triggers and springs. Honestly I like the trigger. Not going to change it.
Will probably add a hogue grip. That's about it.
I painted the fixed sights.
The slide release is pretty stiff. Hard to operate with one hand. Hopefully that gets better.
Take down pin is a nice setup.

I have high hopes for a gun that is going to get knocked around a lot. I pulled out my S&W shield at the range for comparison. I have always been happy with it, but like normal, something was off, the rear sights had been knocked off center again.
That is what I loved about the LC380, it was always dependable, always ready to shoot, and the EC9 is just a bigger version.
Me personally I am much more accurate with the EC9 than I am with the S&W. Was actually surprised by that. (after I fixed the sights on the S&W again)

The SCCY looks interesting. They are cheap enough, I may have to pick one up. I can't find anyone that I know that has one. I am probably getting rid of some or all of my 380s.

EC9
Barrel length: 3.12"
Overall length: 6"
Overall width: 0.90"
Overall height: 4.5"
Overall weight: 17.2 ozs.

Sccy
Barrel length: 3.1 inches.
Overall Length: 5.7 inches.
Overall Width: 1 inches.
Overall height: 4 inches.
Weight: 15 oz.

There is a lot of truth that you get what you pay for in the gun department but there are certainly differences in guns even in this size and price range.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Actually the Sig 365 looks like a good comparable option.
Length: 5.8 “
Height: 4.3” with flush magazine.
Width: 1”
Barrel: 3.1”
Trigger: ~6 lb.
Sights: XRAY3 Day/Night Sights (3-dot)
Weight: 17.8oz. w/empty magazine.

They seem to run about $350

·
Wearing fur underwears...
2,501 Posts
If I was trying to go small and durable I'd probably think about a revolver in DAO with an enclosed hammer..
Actually it's a little easier to mess up a revolver than a semi auto by abuse. The crane, cylinder pin and pawl aren't very tough and are easily damaged by abuse.

·
2,501 Posts
I actually picked up a EC9s on Saturday. Took it to the range and I loved it. Right out of the box. ran a bunch of different ammos through it. Only once if failed to feed properly and it didn't load the last round out of the clip. Slide locked open but there was one round in the clip yet.
Before i bought it I was shopping triggers and springs. Honestly I like the trigger. Not going to change it.
Will probably add a hogue grip. That's about it.
I painted the fixed sights.
The slide release is pretty stiff. Hard to operate with one hand. Hopefully that gets better.
Take down pin is a nice setup.

I have high hopes for a gun that is going to get knocked around a lot. I pulled out my S&W shield at the range for comparison. I have always been happy with it, but like normal, something was off, the rear sights had been knocked off center again.
That is what I loved about the LC380, it was always dependable, always ready to shoot, and the EC9 is just a bigger version.
Me personally I am much more accurate with the EC9 than I am with the S&W. Was actually surprised by that. (after I fixed the sights on the S&W again)

The SCCY looks interesting. They are cheap enough, I may have to pick one up. I can't find anyone that I know that has one. I am probably getting rid of some or all of my 380s.

EC9

Sccy

There is a lot of truth that you get what you pay for in the gun department but there are certainly differences in guns even in this size and price range.
Glad you found something that works. Was very surprised to hear that you had cracked the frames. Rugers are a pretty good value.

·
The Lieutenant
1,615 Posts

EC9

Sccy

My SIL won a SCCY SPX2 (?) in stainless top, pink grip at a gun raffle a couple years ago. I bought it off him for my wife but also as another inexpensive 9mm to have. It shoots well for me and her. Very comfortable grip. SCCY are all stainless steel barrels and slides, the black ones are just coated. Plus the grips come in just about any color you want. Lifetime warranty. Legend has it SCCY was started by a couple of disgruntled KelTec engineers and their first edition could use P11 magazines. Not so now. Only downside with the SCCY was although it came with two magazines (as I think all pistols should), the magazines seem a bit or pricey than they should be, especially with the pistol's selling price.

They had a fair sale on replacement grips a couple months back. I strongly considered getting one in black or tan BUT replacing the factory build grip, even with a factory grip, would void the lifetime warranty ;(

·
2,501 Posts
My SIL won a SCCY SPX2 (?) in stainless top, pink grip at a gun raffle a couple years ago. I bought it off him for my wife but also as another inexpensive 9mm to have. It shoots well for me and her. Very comfortable grip. SCCY are all stainless steel barrels and slides, the black ones are just coated. Plus the grips come in just about any color you want. Lifetime warranty. Legend has it SCCY was started by a couple of disgruntled KelTec engineers and their first edition could use P11 magazines. Not so now. Only downside with the SCCY was although it came with two magazines (as I think all pistols should), the magazines seem a bit or pricey than they should be, especially with the pistol's selling price.

They had a fair sale on replacement grips a couple months back. I strongly considered getting one in black or tan BUT replacing the factory build grip, even with a factory grip, would void the lifetime warranty ;(
Not a permanent modification, in no way affects function, and highly doubt it would ever be raised as an issue. Probably might not even be listed as having to have the pink grips on a build sheet.

Besides, you could always keep them, and replace the original grips in even that you sell it or send it away for warranty work.

·
The Lieutenant
1,615 Posts
Not a permanent modification, in no way affects function, and highly doubt it would ever be raised as an issue. Probably might not even be listed as having to have the pink grips on a build sheet.

Besides, you could always keep them, and replace the original grips in even that you sell it or send it away for warranty work.
Actually, the grip sales page on their website stated it would void the lifetime warranty AND they still strongly recommended having a gunsmith perform the swap! Another option on color change is gun skins (gun Skinz?), vinyl wrap in designs and colors. For now, FEAR MY PINK PISTOL! 😱

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Walther CCP 9mm. Outstanding pistol. Simple controls. Goes bang every time. Very accurate, too. About $400. 8 Round magazines. It is just the right size for concealed carry in many situations.

·
living in the desert
445 Posts
I have both a EC9s and LC9s Pro model. Both have been flawless. I also have a Walther CCP that fits great right from the factory. Also a great gun but needs a firm grip and needs to be kept clean.

The Hogue Handall Beavertail grip sleeve is a great addition to the LC/EC9s. In my case, Make's it fit much nicer in the hand and helps control when shooting.

I use the factory mag with original pinky extension.I carry an extra 9 rnd mag when carrying my LC9s Pro. Nice thing is all mags interchange between the EC/LC9s.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I have been carrying the EC9 for about a week now. Have gotten pretty comfortable inside the waist band. Tough to conceal. Summer months is going to be a challenge.
Much more comfortable than the S&W shield. Doesn't really limit my range of motion.

This weekend I tried an ankle holster. Yeah that is not going to work with this gun. Just too big. It is going to show.

Might have to start wearing cowboy boots again. LOL

Got a few other holsters I want to try but right now it looks like I will have to keep a 380 for summer concealment.
Or find a SCCY to try.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I've been pretty happy with my Sccy CPX-2. Just under 500 rounds through it at the range.
I bought one of these this weekend. We had a gun show, first one in a long time.

There were a few SCCY CPX-2 there. Most ran $249-$279.
This guy had some at $199, which is prices I saw last winter. Didn't figure I would see those prices again so I grabbed it.

Out of the box feel, yeah it is lighter, grip is bigger, but then it carries more rounds.
Shooting it, so far, Hard to say because the sites are so far off. LOL

So next range trip I will fix the sights.

Beyond that, the trigger, well flat triggers just feel weird to begin with, but past that. This thing does not reset easily. You have to almost completely remove your finger from the trigger before the second round.
I did not like that at all. Not sure if that is a quality issue as in something is wrong, or if it can be adjusted.
If not, then I will start looking for custom triggers.
But I had to physically stop and think about why it isn't firing the second round, then remember the trigger has not reset yet, that is not good.
Is that normal?

Gun seems to be well balanced, didn't kick too bad so I like shooting it. Decent range gun, more pleasant to shoot than the EC9. Will have to see what improvements can be made and go from there.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I had a sr9c for a while I liked. Only sold it back to my buddy I bought it from because he begged. I have Glocks. They are good for commonality, but I don't really like them myself.

Not talking budget, I like the smaller CZ 9mm pistols. A bit heavier, but metal. Sometimes you get more when you spend more. I do understand budgets though.

I have a G1 of the Pt-111 that I think is the basis for the G2. Decent pistol, but I bought it as a beater cheap and less for EDC. I like cheap ugly guns, but I am picky about my EDC since, if I need it, it is my life on the line. I tend to carry a S&W 642 in .38SP a lot because it is a good size, easy to carry safely, and dependable. If I had a dud round, just pull the trigger again. No slide work necessary.

·
Censor me not
664 Posts
I bought one of these this weekend. We had a gun show, first one in a long time.

There were a few SCCY CPX-2 there. Most ran $249-$279.
This guy had some at $199, which is prices I saw last winter. Didn't figure I would see those prices again so I grabbed it.

Out of the box feel, yeah it is lighter, grip is bigger, but then it carries more rounds.
Shooting it, so far, Hard to say because the sites are so far off. LOL

So next range trip I will fix the sights.

Beyond that, the trigger, well flat triggers just feel weird to begin with, but past that. This thing does not reset easily. You have to almost completely remove your finger from the trigger before the second round.
I did not like that at all. Not sure if that is a quality issue as in something is wrong, or if it can be adjusted.
If not, then I will start looking for custom triggers.
But I had to physically stop and think about why it isn't firing the second round, then remember the trigger has not reset yet, that is not good.
Is that normal?

Gun seems to be well balanced, didn't kick too bad so I like shooting it. Decent range gun, more pleasant to shoot than the EC9. Will have to see what improvements can be made and go from there.
Yeah, the trigger isn't its strong suit. It does get a little better travel wise as it breaks in, but the reset is what it is. Quite a few reviews online have good things to say about these guy's parts for the Sccy trigger. Mine is strictly for gym bag duty, or when I need something for pocket carry in my basketball shorts when I go jogging or hiking so I've never bothered. Extra mags and a rubberized grip overlay off ebay are my only mods thus far.

https://gallowayprecision.com/sccy/cpx/

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Quite a few reviews online have good things to say about these guy's parts for the Sccy trigger
https://gallowayprecision.com/sccy/cpx/
Cool, I hadn't even looked yet.

I have used their stuff in a few guns and pretty happy with it.

I would probably prefer an adjustable trigger, but maybe I won't need it. I will try it out. The poor reset just bugs me more and more when I think about it.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I've been carrying the FN 503 for the past month. This thing is slim and has a very nice texture on the grips. The trigger is pretty nice too, for a subcompact single stack. Everything is perfectly factory de-burred on this thing. It's a single purpose gun with no rail.

The price is where you might have the problem.

·
Premium Member
4,508 Posts
:)
I/We own several Ec9S and an LC9S , the only 9mm I carry when I want to have a smaller firearm easily (ball shorts, sweats etc. ) Really nice trigger on the "S" btw filled with 8 rounds of 148 HST accurate and likely a fight ender IMO
Exactly the same here
I pocket carry the EC9s and the LC9s Pros
Got a couple of each

100% bet your life reliable

I use Underwood standard 9mm Penetrator ammunition

Triggers are so good that I got the two EC9s pistols for the manual safety
Do not want to glock myself

Check out Hickok45's review
Even he says that trigger is too good/light and could/should make one nervous

As usual, we have posts from people who are 100% ignorant and dismiss the EC9s due to its crazy sweet price
They have a bird's eye view of their colon and yet they post in spite of their POV

21 - 40 of 64 Posts