Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I usually carry an LC380 or S&W shield 9mm.
Both have been great guns and have their purpose.

Looking for a 9mm smaller than the shield to carry instead of the 380.
I always have a fear of losing the gun or leaving it in the car and it being stolen so I don't like to spend a lot on my conceal carry weapons, BUT I have to be able to hit well with them and they have to be dependable.

Was looking at the Ruger EC9s. They are running around $220 now.
Capacity: 7+1
Barrel length: 3.12"
Overall length: 6"
Overall width: 0.90"
Overall height: 4.5"
Overall weight: 17.2 ozs.

But looking locally I have come across a couple others I wonder about.
The Taurus has mixed reviews. So I am wondering if you guys have any experience.
First the taurus 709 slim. There is one here locally new in box $220
Width: 0.95-in
Length: 6.24-in
Height: 4.52-in
Barrel: 3.2-in
Weight: 19-oz

And then another taurus. PT-111 G2
For sale locally, supposedly only one clip through it. $195
Weight with Empty Magazine 22 ounces
Trigger Press 6.00 pounds, Approximate
Barrel Lenth 3.2 inches, Ramped
Overall Height 5.10 inches
Overall Length 6.24 inches
Grip Width 1.10 inches
Magazine Capacity 12

So I know plenty of Rugers and I think they are dependable, but trying to think outside the box. The 709 taurus is comparable. Except longer and heavier, but longer means longer barrel. Which is good.

The PT-111 says it is double stack so extra rounds. Little wider and heaver than the 709, but extra rounds are worth it right?

What else should I look at?

Thanks,

·
Banned
4,841 Posts
I usually carry an LC380 or S&W shield 9mm.
Both have been great guns and have their purpose.

Looking for a 9mm smaller than the shield to carry instead of the 380.
I always have a fear of losing the gun or leaving it in the car and it being stolen so I don't like to spend a lot on my conceal carry weapons,

What else should I look at?

Thanks,
How are you carrying that you think you will lose it, leave it behind or have it stolen? Do you carry off body? Open carry? I would suggest carrying concealed on your person & not taking it off when you get in your car. If you are still paranoid, get a retention holster. If that doesn't help, I'd look at either seeing a shrink and/or not carrying.

·
reluctant sinner
16,674 Posts
You are betting your life on the tool. My life is worth more than $220 to me. I like my S&W model 60. It will conceal in my hands prayer fashion. In single action I can tap 1 gallon milk jugs at a 100 yards.

+1 find a secure way to carry.

People leave kids and dogs in cars because they aren't attached.

·
Fenced In
3,249 Posts
What do Taurus mags cost? Factor that into the purchase price if only one is included.

I carry either a Sig P239, which is heavy and bulky for what it is, or a Springfield Armory XD-S, which is lighter and thinner. I have both IWB and OWB holsters for it, and the sights (fiber night sights) are very similar, but the P239 is far and away the better gun. However, it was well over twice the price of the XD-S, and as good as it is, it's not twice as good. But if I bring both to the range, I can tell you that the P239 is more pleasant to shoot, and if a gun isn't pleasant to shoot, that can deter a person from practicing enough.

Between Taurus and Ruger, I'd take the Ruger, and I say that as the owner of guns from both manufacturers. My wife has a 9mm Shield, and I really wouldn't be inclined to go smaller/lighter than that, but I prefer a slightly heavier gun. I did carry a Bersa BP9 for a few years, and it shot really well, but when it did require warranty service, Bersa directed me to an authorized warranty provider that I think (but can't prove) actually damaged the gun, ultimately requiring that I send it elsewhere for service and ultimately full replacement.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good points, all of them.

I agree it has to work. I generally conceal both the S&W or the LC380. I have and had others but nothing as dependable or accurate as these have been. One of them are on or near me all the time.

I am a mechanic by trade. That means lots of crawling up and rolling around under. Whether it be in the shop or along side the road. These guns get scrapped up, beat up, dropped, soaked in stuff. Water, gas, oil, diesel.
This also means the holsters I use are often soft, flexible. As with anything you get comfortable and forget you even have it on.

When you are road side and traffic is flying by 100 mph, or you are rolling around in a mud puddle or snow. Checking to see if your firearm is present is the last thought on your mind.

So I have the option of leaving it in the truck, which in many scenarios can easily be stolen or keep it on me and it gets beat up and potentially falls into a snow bank and lost.

The 380 is awesome but as I feel it is pretty beat up and time to replace it again I would like something in 9mm and easier to carry than the S&W. I would like to reduce the number of calibers I have laying around.

Kind of looking at the SCCY 9mm but I just don't know.

·
Censor me not
664 Posts
I've been pretty happy with my Sccy CPX-2. Just under 500 rounds through it at the range. Its my gym and work gun. Basically to have on me, or in the work truck, when I don't have my G19. it fills a similar role for me as you're describing. I do a fair bit of working on, under, and in the vehicles at work and I have no complaints. I keep the Sccy in a DeSantis gel pocket holster. Prints quite a bit, but stays put and guards the trigger nicely. Speaking of the trigger. Its pretty much what I expected from a $200ish gun. Travel galore, but workable

My GF has a Ruger LC9s. We both like it, she preferred that over my Sccy because its a bit smaller/thinner overall. I don't remember all the differences off hand, but I do remember when we picked up hers the guy at the LGS explained the difference between the two (LC vs EC) and the extra coin was well worth it.

I keep hearing how Taurus finally figured it out and yada yada. I'd avoid the G2C or whatever they're calling it now like the plague. In this market there really is no good reason to risk buying a Taurus of any kind. So many better, more proven options for similar coin.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
I have had good luck with the Kahr CM9 and CW9 pistols.
From the economy line, you will need to buy extra magazines.
But decent little pistols, if you can hold them, they are too small for me.

·
Wearing fur underwears...
2,501 Posts
Good points, all of them.

I agree it has to work. I generally conceal both the S&W or the LC380. I have and had others but nothing as dependable or accurate as these have been. One of them are on or near me all the time.

I am a mechanic by trade. That means lots of crawling up and rolling around under. Whether it be in the shop or along side the road. These guns get scrapped up, beat up, dropped, soaked in stuff. Water, gas, oil, diesel.
This also means the holsters I use are often soft, flexible. As with anything you get comfortable and forget you even have it on.

When you are road side and traffic is flying by 100 mph, or you are rolling around in a mud puddle or snow. Checking to see if your firearm is present is the last thought on your mind.

So I have the option of leaving it in the truck, which in many scenarios can easily be stolen or keep it on me and it gets beat up and potentially falls into a snow bank and lost.

The 380 is awesome but as I feel it is pretty beat up and time to replace it again I would like something in 9mm and easier to carry than the S&W. I would like to reduce the number of calibers I have laying around.

Kind of looking at the SCCY 9mm but I just don't know.
What do you mean when you say your LC380 is "beat up, and due for replacement"? Some scuffs and scrapes aren't going to affect function in the slightest.

More than anything, you need a good holster.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
15,525 Posts
I second the suggestion to get a good holster to protect your pistol.
But a holtser that provides ready access is likely not to offer as much protection.

As far as the two pistols go, my wife bought the Ruger LCPs several years ago.
I tried shooting a wide variety of factory and hand loaded ammo, and that gun will cycle and shoot everything.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Should have started this shift years ago, but I'm now working towards a "streamlined" inventory and everything in a minimum of pairs.

For example, lets say we are forced to evacuate the house for a period of time (or permanently), my wife and I will both be carrying the Glock 43x. True, it is not the highest in capacity, but it fits our hands and we are both familiar with the fit and function of the same piece.

At the point of ammo I have consolidated into a 9mm lineup. My reasoning there is that if the Chinese or Russians ever invade us, we can get 9mm off of the bodies in the streets.

Just trying to keep it simple, at least for myself.

------

Via edit, 'cause I had to jump up and run to the head for my daily Freudian libation before I finished my post! LOL

You mentioned being a mechanic. With the work activity and environment in mind, I would suggest something like the LCP or the LC9. The flat profile and options for safe pocket carry seem like a good fit for the work environment.

Just my $0.02 worth of thoughts.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you can’t secure the weapon on your person and lose it you need to figure that out before you do anything else. I’ve run chainsaws, sawmills, tractors, skidsteers, **** in the woods, and any number of things and never had to worry where my pistol is.

And the rest of you guys telling me to secure it, Are you guys done lecturing yet? Geez, Thanks you grouchy old farts.

So no I have never lost one, I fear losing one. Isn't that what this whole website about? being prepared? Preparing for the worst? Am I on the wrong website again?

The uniforms we are required to wear do not allow for a pocket carry.

I have been doing this a long time. I appreciate you are trying to help but that does not have anything to do with my question.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If I was trying to go small and durable I'd probably think about a revolver in DAO with an enclosed hammer..
Tried it a few times, the bulge of the tumbler just feels funny, can't get used to it compared to the flat feel of the semi.

What do you mean when you say your LC380 is "beat up, and due for replacement"? Some scuffs and scrapes aren't going to affect function in the slightest.
I have pulled them out at the end of the day with cracked polymer frames, bent or dinged in certain odd places, it isn't as much about the weapon not functioning but at this point I would rather throw it in the safe before it is worthless and enjoy the hunt of finding and modding a new one.

I have had good luck with the Kahr CM9 and CW9 pistols.
I don't know anything about the Kahr pistols. I will have to do some reading.

I've been pretty happy with my Sccy CPX-2.

My GF has a Ruger LC9s. We both like it,

I keep hearing how Taurus finally figured it out and yada yada. I'd avoid the G2C or whatever they're calling it now like the plague. .
I hear people have a hard time holding onto the Sccy, Read that about the baretta nano as well. I agree about the taurus. It is a gamble, sound like you just never know until you make the commitment and put some rounds through it.

With the work activity and environment in mind, I would suggest something like the LCP or the LC9. The flat profile and options for safe pocket carry seem like a good fit for the work environment.
My Son has an LC9 and it is a good gun. I was looking at the EC9 because I have knocked the sights out of guns before and the machined sights of the EC9 (like the lcp) is actually an advantage for me in that case. Right now you can be LC9 or EC9 for the same money.

That is certainly the gun I was planning on, just thought I would stop here and ask what else is out there.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Look at guns that feel good in your hand.

No one else can pick one for you.

They will just tell you what they like, but it won't mean they are better than any other choice.

All the big name brands are good.

·
Nunquam Non Paratus
1,520 Posts
Look at guns that feel good in your hand.

No one else can pick one for you.

They will just tell you what they like, but it won't mean they are better than any other choice.

All the big name brands are good.
Yep. Pick what works for ya. I carried a Glock 43 for years, but switched over to a 43x. The reason I switched is to take advantage of a new magazine being put out which will hold 15 rounds in the same size package as the standard 10 round.

·
Super Moderator
Trash Remover
3,538 Posts
I/We own several Ec9S and an LC9S , the only 9mm I carry when I want to have a smaller firearm easily (ball shorts, sweats etc. ) Really nice trigger on the "S" btw filled with 8 rounds of 148 HST accurate and likely a fight ender IMO

·
Censor me not
664 Posts
Tried it a few times, the bulge of the tumbler just feels funny, can't get used to it compared to the flat feel of the semi.

I have pulled them out at the end of the day with cracked polymer frames, bent or dinged in certain odd places, it isn't as much about the weapon not functioning but at this point I would rather throw it in the safe before it is worthless and enjoy the hunt of finding and modding a new one.

I don't know anything about the Kahr pistols. I will have to do some reading.

I hear people have a hard time holding onto the Sccy, Read that about the baretta nano as well. I agree about the taurus. It is a gamble, sound like you just never know until you make the commitment and put some rounds through it.

My Son has an LC9 and it is a good gun. I was looking at the EC9 because I have knocked the sights out of guns before and the machined sights of the EC9 (like the lcp) is actually an advantage for me in that case. Right now you can be LC9 or EC9 for the same money.

That is certainly the gun I was planning on, just thought I would stop here and ask what else is out there.
The Sccy isn't difficult to hold. I wear an XL in nitrile and Mechanix brand work gloves and with the pinky extensions on the mags I don't mind shooting/gripping it. Its definitely bigger and easier on my mitts than the LC9s. If you're familiar with Glocks, the Sccy is pretty much right in between a 26 and 43.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts