Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of us have a wallet full of credit cards. So people have issued us credit. But we also issue credit. Most of us work for our employers for a week, weeks, or a month, then wait more time and get paid. For those that are self employed, 30-90 day terms are common. AFTER you reach the end of a billing period.

On one of the other web sites I participate on, we sometimes talk about creating a new economy. It's common in all disaster scenarios. A new LOCAL currency or credit system is established. But I wonder how many people have thought beyond "I'll trade you a dozen potatoes for a dozen eggs"?

Supposing some persons have surplus labor to invest, and some people might have surplus agricultural products to invest, and some people have other surplus added value capabilities to invest. Do we do ourselves a favor by putting these materials, goods, and services available on a wider market? Do we "FRONT" these excesses to certain farther away merchants, with an anticipated future return of EXCESS product, credits, and usary?

Not all risks are rewarded. But it seems that from the times of the "Silk Road", someone has had to take a chance on moving merchandise great distances and great rewards followed. I just wonder, if in very trying times, issuing credit (fronting goods and services) might be the road to wealth in the future as well.

David

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Most of us have a wallet full of credit cards. So people have issued us credit. But we also issue credit. Most of us work for our employers for a week, weeks, or a month, then wait more time and get paid. For those that are self employed, 30-90 day terms are common. AFTER you reach the end of a billing period.

On one of the other web sites I participate on, we sometimes talk about creating a new economy. It's common in all disaster scenarios. A new LOCAL currency or credit system is established. But I wonder how many people have thought beyond "I'll trade you a dozen potatoes for a dozen eggs"?

Supposing some persons have surplus labor to invest, and some people might have surplus agricultural products to invest, and some people have other surplus added value capabilities to invest. Do we do ourselves a favor by putting these materials, goods, and services available on a wider market? Do we "FRONT" these excesses to certain farther away merchants, with an anticipated future return of EXCESS product, credits, and usary?

Not all risks are rewarded. But it seems that from the times of the "Silk Road", someone has had to take a chance on moving merchandise great distances and great rewards followed. I just wonder, if in very trying times, issuing credit (fronting goods and services) might be the road to wealth in the future as well.

David
I've been bartering/trading labor for years ... the ratio depends on the situation.

For example, I do construction labor for a skilled general contractor on a 2 to 1 basis. Every 2 hours I work for him, he works 1 for me. Now obviously I have to "need" his trade to make this work.

We each keep a "time" book and sign each others' at the end of each day.

That's how we've remained friends too for over 25 years.

·
Registered
10,428 Posts
With my snow removal business I have 2 payment programs. The prepay is for the entire season and paid in early October, they extend credit to me. The pay per pass is billed at the end of each month, I extend credit to them. I also have a couple of barter customers who I exchange with as well.

All 3 formats combine to work very well for me, the prepay gives me security for the winter business, the pay per plow gives me light but steady cash flow and the barter gives me as I need exchange.

·
Sorry About Your Feelings
20,837 Posts
Our currency already is credit. Everything is based on debt, even cash.
Read the fine print on a dollar bill sometime.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts