Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
As my flock increased so has my need for perch space. To add room I built a new perch 12 feet long by 36 inches wide then added spacers every 18 inches.

The new water system is working well.

Attachments

·
I don't wanna talk about
436 Posts
Those look like poop boards to me. I edged mine and put sweet pdz stall freshener granules in the tray created. Then I mounted a 2x4 flat above it for the roost.

My neighbor is happy to poop scoop the pdz for free eggs.

·
Preparing
10,972 Posts
Those look like poop boards to me. I edged mine and put sweet pdz stall freshener granules in the tray created. Then I mounted a 2x4 flat above it for the roost.

My neighbor is happy to poop scoop the pdz for free eggs.
Pics?

This would be interesting to see. Thanks!

·
Cave canem
5,391 Posts
Pics?

This would be interesting to see. Thanks!
Just build a waist high shelf and put a lip on the edge so the pdz stays in. Poop on a plain board turns into concrete and is hard to scrape off (ugh).

It is great stuff, never needs to be replaced and prevents odor/flies. My coop is small and the shelf increases usable floor space, I use the space under the shelf as a broody/chick pen.

·
I don't wanna talk about
436 Posts
Poop boards are often made to be easily removable and people will pull them out every day and scrape them. This is not my idea of a good time.

Here are a couple of pics for you. My tray is about 7 1/2 sq ft and will hold a full bag of pdz. I have found that it takes very little to keep the poop from sticking and the less that is there, the less the chickens will try to scratch in it and the less that will get scooped out with the poop.

BTW, the powdered PDZ is like moon dust.

1.jpg

2.jpg

5.jpg

Edited to add: The 2x4 roost should be higher. Half the chickens roost on the edge of the tray. I think they would be more inclined to roost on the 2x4 if it was higher.

·
Forum Administrator
16,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Video added to the opening post

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
As my flock increased so has my need for perch space. To add room I built a new perch 12 feet long by 36 inches wide then added spacers every 18 inches.

The new water system is working well.

Chicken house update - YouTube

Kev, while watching the video again, I noticed what looked like small openings at the bottom of the walls, in a few spaces. Is there something there to prevent mice/rats from getting into the coop?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts