Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
USMC Veteran 84 - 01
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a side pic of the coop that I am building for my father in law. Will take more of the inside with the nesting boxes and roosting area tomorrow. It was getting dark on me when I snapped this one.

Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
396 Posts
Looks great. I like the size and portability of it. Great idea.

Don't forget more pics when you can.

Reactions: WoodUSMC

·
USMC Veteran 84 - 01
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Updated pics! I finished the coop and we moved it to the backyard and I gave my Father in law 4 hens. They seemed very pleased with the coop.

Chris

Attachments

·
Do you smell that?
4,591 Posts
That looks great! I am curious though, why all the small coops? Does anyone let their birds run free anymore? My coop is an 8x8 metal shed with a wire gate door. In the morning the girls let the birds out, and at night they return to the coop. We let em run free all day. I must admit though, we do have 5 ac. fenced in. So not much comes onto the property. So back to the origonal question, why does everyone keep em penned up?

Reactions: WoodUSMC

·
USMC Veteran 84 - 01
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Throughout the winter and up until the garden is put in they are turned out in the morning and closed in at night. Once the garden is up enough that they can't destroy it they will be turned out again. As far as the coops being small, The reason is I can move them whenever I want. This fall the coops will occupy where the garden was. I have 40 chickens right now. By the time the next planting season rolls around they have fertilized the 3 acres for me. My smallest coop is 32sqft in the run and 25 sqft of roost/laying boxes. The biggest one I have is 10X10 with wheels on the rear. I can move any of these by myself with minimal effort. So to answer your question it is convenience. I can put them where I want them.

Chris

·
Do you smell that?
4,591 Posts
Well that makes sense. I never thought of it like that. My garden is totally fenced, 7' high. I may make a small coop to put in there to keep them in in the winter so they can do the same for me. My garden is only 25x50, not bad, but they could add to the compost for me. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I kind of like the idea of an arc for the on the roof. In Florida it rains a lot this time of year and a tarp is an easy "roof" to put on. Also, at least in Florida, a tarp or blanket when the temperatures dip (I know its not possibe in all parts of the country but is a good temporary way to keep the heat in during a cold snap). I am now seriously considering a chicken coop and run of that design. Although my friends (who have chickens) let them roam free during the day.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.