Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sooo...

I finally decided to get one...

I took it out to the range but it was really windy and it was shooting about 4 inches low. It was a Sunday and all the local shops are closed so I had to make an improvised site adjustment tool... Its a good thing I have a buddy with a metal shop...

I love the way this thing shoots. No recoil and functioned perfectly with cheap ammo. The folding stock is rock solid. It just does not move. This rifle is a bit heavy VS an AR but its no heavier then an AR with a bunch of tactacool stuff on it.

Let me know what you all think...

V.

Attachments

·
Son Of Liberty
1,871 Posts
The Galil solves many of the problems I have with the AK style rifle, Better sights, better safety, more ambidextrous, accuracy is about the same but my issues with the AK are more about the ergonomics and not its accuracy its good enough. The magazine cost turns me off as well as the reassembler Century, as long as you have enough mags and no defect due to the manufacturer I think it will be a fine weapon.

They are fun to shoot.

·
Forum Administrator
16,776 Posts
About how much did you pay for the rifle? Hows it shoot? Any jams and how is the accuracy? You said 4 inches low, but how tight was the group? Elevation can be adjusted.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got it from AIM surplus for $699 delivered. Its built on a century arms lower with a new barrel. The rest of the parts are genuine Israeli surplus. Everything on this thing is clean and in perfect condition. A bit pricy for an ak variant but not bad if you consider that the Israeli ones run over 2k if you can find one. Unfortunately, I think I got one of the last ones. They pulled the link down from the site.

I put 40 rounds through it with NO issues at all. The one complaint that I do have is that it throws the brass forward. In reality, its a good thing but since ive been saving the brass for reloading its sort of a pain.

The groups are actually good. My buddy and I mostly messed around but we still got less then 4" at 50. I must say that it was a VERY windy day with gusts of 25 to 30 mph. I am going out again tomorrow with about 200 rounds so I should be able to get the sites properly adjusted and probably put it in a bench vice just to see what it can really do. We should have a nice sunny day and low to no wind so I am hoping for better results. My goal is to be able to get 3moa at 100 yards. Ill be honest though, I am not the best with a rifle so I am sure that this thing shoots better then I will ever be able to do.

V.

·
Premium Member
12,131 Posts
one of the local gunshops has one on their wall,price is $1056....i would say you got a deal...........

·
Forum Administrator
16,776 Posts
The one complaint that I do have is that it throws the brass forward.
V.
Just in case you did not know this - the brass being ejecting forward is by design. That way your brass is not hitting your buddy in his head.

Does your rifle take regular AR-15 magazines? The Galil built by the Israelis was supposed to take AR-15 magazines. Just in case there was ever a war where the USA and Israel were fighting side by side, the AR-15 and Galil can swap out magazines.

The galil has been one of my favorite rifles for 20 years, but I have never owned one. In the late 1980's - early 1990's I did a lot of reading on the galil, it was on my "to buy list" but other guns have been bought instead.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
If you shoot it a lot,get a set of chamber gauges,and check its headspace occasionally.The ORF built receivers had issues.That what Century uses.It might be a peach. Or a lemon.You won't know until a few hundred rounds go thru it. Galils take Galil mags.Don't think they were ever made to take ar mags.Totally different locking system.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Back from the range...

Just got done cleaning up after a nice long range trip this afternoon.

Lets just say that I am VERY happy with the results. I got the site dialed in. :) My buddy ended up loading about 10 different loads for me and I think I found the one that works best. Basically, because of the 1/9 twist, the 63 grain bullets do best. I ended up with a 3.5" group, 5 shots, at 100 yards with iron sites on rest. With cheap ammo, 55 grain, I was getting about a 6" group. I am sure it can do better but my shooting ability got in the way.

As far as the AR mags, you can get an adapter that will actually let the Galil take the mags. They run about $60 but they are kinda hard to find these days. I am not sure if it requires permanent modifications or not so I will do some more research and I'll see what I can come up with.

I have one of the late serial number Century builds so I am hoping that I dont have this problem but I will keep checking it. I put about 250 rounds through it today and had one stovepipe as far as the problems go. I just checked the feed ramp and everything seems to be happy and clean. I obviously need more practice since this is really my first rifle. I also just fixed the feeding problem on my ar-7 so I think a few thousand rounds of .22 should improve my aim a bit.

Overall, I am very happy with this thing and I'm sure that once I get some more range time with it I'll have a perfectly good paper killing machine. :rolleyes:

V.

p.s. I do know why it throws the brass forward. :) Its just annoying when you are trying to save the brass. Its ok though, I built a home made brass catcher for it and didnt have any issues although one did bounce back behind my jacket color and singed me a bit. Good times!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Just in case you did not know this - the brass being ejecting forward is by design. That way your brass is not hitting your buddy in his head.

Does your rifle take regular AR-15 magazines? The Galil built by the Israelis was supposed to take AR-15 magazines. Just in case there was ever a war where the USA and Israel were fighting side by side, the AR-15 and Galil can swap out magazines.

The galil has been one of my favorite rifles for 20 years, but I have never owned one. In the late 1980's - early 1990's I did a lot of reading on the galil, it was on my "to buy list" but other guns have been bought instead.
The Galil will use AR-15 magazines with a mag adapter that locks into the Galil mag well.These can be found for around $50-$75

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
that is one sexy beast. I'd be interested in one with an adapter. It would be well worth the cost considering AR mags are so dirt cheap.

I still would never simply ditch them like they were intended to be though.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I think the Galil is <OK at best

I sold my Galil a few years back to free up funds for other firearms projects. Two .223 AK's plus a few dozen mags.
My first complaint is the excessive weight, sorry but stamped receiver AK's are much much lighter. The first series of AK's used these milled receivers, the later AKM, or modernised utilised the much lighter stamped receiver. The rear sight attached to the top cover is another problem area. Your rifle has to be sighted in every time the top cover is removed. The mags are a bit problematic. I pay under $20.00 for my AK .223 mags. Galil cost me alot more. It seems to me every photo of an Izzy trooper in action they are carrying M-16 rifles. I think they may do it for weight savings alone.
They do have a very cool look, a high CDI factor.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I shoot my IMI ARM Galil monthly and the sights are still dead-on,and I bought this one new back in '88.
I regularly keep up with ,and out shoot most of the AR guys in our monthly shoots in the AQT rounds.
Yes the Galil is a bit heavy,but it is built to last,and recoil is almost non-exsistant.

The reason that we see IDF troopers with the m-16 series of weapons is that they get them from us for next to nothing vs having to pay a pretty penny from IMI/IWI.

They are still in use in Armor,IAF,and SpecOps units.

I haven't found any AK that will out-shoot the Galil,and I have a dozen diff.AK's of all flavors.

·
Premium Member
12,131 Posts
The reason that we see IDF troopers with the m-16 series of weapons is that they get them from us for next to nothing vs having to pay a pretty penny from IMI/IWI.
arming our friends seems to be the regular SOP for our military and COLT..........

1 - 14 of 14 Posts